News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:05:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DON STILL'S STUKA...VISITED THE NORTHWEST!!!  (Read 4649 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
DON STILL'S STUKA...VISITED THE NORTHWEST!!!
« on: February 26, 2012, 03:00:01 PM »
Attached here is a slide  I took of Don Still's very own STUKA (many years ago around 67ish???...Gary Letsinger, our long time NW Aerodynamic Engineering ICON and stunt flyer was so taken with this model..(and all the rest of us too, we gotta admit!) Anyhooo
Gary was so taken by this challenge...he decided later that year to build one of his own...(see the next slide of Gary's that is at the back of this line up of models..HOWEVER! GARY'S STUKA REALLY "STUCK IT TO ALL OF US NW GRUNTS that day by TAKING HOME THE FIRST PLACE AWARD that day in the brand new SOUTH CENTER parking lot.

GARY! If you are lurking and can still fill in the details of Don Stills model or share your story about that habitual winning Stuka of yours that you had so much success with those years so long ago?
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: DON STILL'S STUKA...VISITED THE NORTHWEST!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
The Stuka in the 2nd picture appears to be a different model (yellow nose), tho maybe after a repair?  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:11:34 PM »
The Stuka in the 2nd picture appears to be a different model (yellow nose), tho maybe after a repair?  H^^ Steve
Steve...
The Stuka in the 2nd photo is a model belonged to Gary Lestinger...(shown without the cowling in order to check the engine bolts) anI took this shot at Sandpoint NAS Seattle contest around 1967-or slightly later? Mark Freeman's Mustang up front....followed by Bob Emmetts JUG! :)

Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »
The Stuka in the 2nd picture appears to be a different model (yellow nose), tho maybe after a repair?  H^^ Steve

HI Steve,

Don's published 1952 version differs in a few details from his 1957 version that Ambroid kitted.  I am pretty sure RSM's kit is the original 1952 version, or possibly that one in the 2nd version was built from the '52 plans.

I built mine from original 1952 plans so it differs from the one shown first.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:47:12 AM »

I built mine from original 1952 plans so it differs from the one shown first.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Interesting Bill!
Humm? Yes, I noticed that the wing tips seems different...also the canopy on both that first Stuka photo...and Gary's (the canopy might be from a kit version????
Its been so many years...since these photos were taken...guess those of you who have built either from the published plans or the kit...Know for sure!

CLP** ANY CHANCE YOU GUYS..OR OTHERS LURKING...MIGHT SHARE A FEW OF YOUR OLD STUKA PHOTOS FOR OLD TIMES SAKE?
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 06:32:54 PM »
Interesting Bill!
Humm? Yes, I noticed that the wing tips seems different...also the canopy on both that first Stuka photo...and Gary's (the canopy might be from a kit version????
Its been so many years...since these photos were taken...guess those of you who have built either from the published plans or the kit...Know for sure!

CLP** ANY CHANCE YOU GUYS..OR OTHERS LURKING...MIGHT SHARE A FEW OF YOUR OLD STUKA PHOTOS FOR OLD TIMES SAKE?

The Ambroid kit version was basically Don's '57 version (flown at the 1960 WC).  Longer nose and a few other things. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 09:00:22 PM »
Anyone have info on the P-51B in the picture

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here