News:

• April 25, 2024, 01:04:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DON McCLAVE Overlooked stunt Grunt  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Leo Mehl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
DON McCLAVE Overlooked stunt Grunt
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:11:09 AM »
Somewhere along the way we all have forgotten to mention a stunt grunt. In this case a super stunt grunt or you might say the guru of Fox engines. His name is Don McClave and he used to fly models in my x-wifes hometown of Great Falls Montana. Don and I new a lot of the same people who were modelers their. We used to fly in the city park down by the river their. He basically flies Classic planes and usually builds 1 a year. He is a super builder whose philosify is why spend all that time on a paint job when you get more if you practice instead. But his airplanes are well done and he does a super job of using Monocoat and paint togather. He usually wins most of the contest he enters in the Northwest and Don is now over sixty so he fits right in with us older folks. I figured he deserves a big mention here. He is also a very good friend of Paul Walker and is also Pauls coach. Anyone got anything more to add? HB~>
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:05:48 PM by Leo Mehl »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: DON McClave Overlooked stunt Grunt
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 12:41:22 PM »
Leo..
Right on...they are soooooooooooo many great STUNT GRUNTERS....From all over and you are right, Don have produced soooooo many beautiful stunt machines, as far back as I can remember.
I will have to dig through my old shoe boxes of slides and photos...that just may have its share of Don Mclaves beautiful workmanship and flying sky art.
Starting with a quick shot at this years Puyallup Thun field fest.

Anyone else who has some stories or photos or DON??? Lets dig em' up and post em' n' roast him?
Don has given sooooooooooooooooo much to so many of us over the decades, Leo!
Good choice for Grunt for yesterday,today and hopefully waaaaaay into the future.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 04:24:48 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: DON McCLAVE Overlooked stunt Grunt
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:21:16 AM »
Can you imagine the thrill I got when Don asked me to help him with his Fierce Arrow at VSC a few years ago.  He is one fine gentleman that alway has a smile.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Greg Hart

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 01:23:37 AM »
Yes Don is the kind of guy you like seing drive up to the field. He is always open in helping with any trimming solutions you may need. He is one swell guy! He really knows his stuff.
BUY A UKEY AND LEARN

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:15:12 AM »
Yes Don is the kind of guy you like seing drive up to the field. He is always open in helping with any trimming solutions you may need. He is one swell guy! He really knows his stuff.
Glad to see you are still around Greg. Are you building anything new? HB~> HB~>

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 11:32:18 AM »
Don was over the other day with his new 35 stuntwagon. OS-35maxs powered, $$ coat, and a lustercoat finish. I,ve never seen an Stuntwagon before.....WHAT an airplane. Looks like Rosey Odonald with wings.  ~^
Don is always working on new projects. His next plane is a Nobler based plane, however thats this week. Him may change his mind.
DON is there for anyone that wants to learn. He's taught me a lot. He coaches because he can see the mistakes and tells you how to change. Don is a true firend.  y1
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here