News:

• May 09, 2024, 04:46:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carousel....Anyone remember from the 60's...?  (Read 1646 times)

Offline joe renfro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Carousel....Anyone remember from the 60's...?
« on: November 24, 2007, 06:28:19 PM »
I built a plane scratch from plans ordered from either MAN or Flying Models...back in the 60's...It was a big.,56-58 " wingspan and a twin boon concept airplane..The story in the mag was that its builder had won the current nats stunt with it and here it is for all you aggressive builders out there...I ordered the plans and thought I had overloaded my hummingbird backside with such an endeavor,,,but somehow I finished the plane..just about the time I graduated High School and was off to college...Never flew the plane....but left strict instructions to everyone in house NOT to let anything happen to my plane......Now its the early 70's..I am in Houston,tx...flying at Melrose park...flying Shoestrings, Busters, Ringmasters,etc...The Carousel is now in my garage having survived many forgotten years in DeQuincy,La. and made the move to Texas unscathed...just knew one of those blasted booms was gonna get busted..Bought a ST .46 to put in the plane for its first flight...very nervous after all this gal has been through for me to lunch it on the tarmac at Melrose...ST purring....lift-off ..it handles very nicely....did a few loops , lazy 8's,..nothing fancy...landed ..wiped it down...back in the car with booms intact....it is now 2007....it has been living very peacefully for the last 30 years in my quaint house in the Houston Heights...now as a result of ungodly raises in prop taxes..I am out of my restored Victorian and in *(%$^&^$%%) Santa Fe,Texas....the Carouse once again has made a trip and still remained with both booms.  It needs re-covering..I may do that on the old girl..The ST .46 is still around..never used on another plane, so its like new..its just 40 years old...

Anyway...does anyone remember this plane...I have asked several old timers like myself..they dont....It kinda resembles a P-38 with only a center engine....If I can find a dig cam..will try to post some pics of her.....these old gals can be kinda camera shy....try taking a pic of your grandmother...you'll see what I mean...

Ok..enough for me for now..curious if anyone remembers.......

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: Carousel....Anyone remember from the 60's...?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 08:37:20 PM »
Yes....I remember the name Carousel.....but I can't put an image in my demented brain cell to beckon forth??
HEY YOU OL' GRUNTS...SEND SOME INFO AND PHOTOS...and which magazine it was published???
Don Shultz

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 09:16:40 PM »
Order a CD from Tom Wilks and it's plans and many others will be there, along with the magazine articles   

http://www.cpinternet.com/~tawilk36/
mike potter

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 10:22:23 PM »
The Carousel was a Charles Mackey design that was campaigned successfully by Jim Vornholt. Legend has it that Jim could pull out inverted after a wingover and scrap the tops of the rudders on the ground! I'm pretty sure Jim won Junior or Senior at the Nats in the 1960s flying the Carousel.

Bob Hunt 

Offline joe renfro

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 02:31:36 AM »
Bob..thanks for the heads up.....it was the 1960 Jr. Stunt....How did you track this down to Mackey...?

One of the strange things I remember about that plane was it had a sliding wing weight in the outboard wing...

There was a piece of piano fixed between 2 of the outboard ribs that a small weight riding on it that would slide to and fro.....Never saw another set up like this again...

Glad someone was able to bring this info out...Amazing this plane is still around...built back in the dark ages...does balsa get brittle or anything with age?  What about ancient Ambroid glue joints...?  This gal is 40+ years old,,maybe just recover..paint ..and hang from my shop ceiling....

Thanks again Bob....

What ever happened to Vornholt..?

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 09:11:36 PM »
Bet that's a good looking airplane!

Please post those pictures Joe!

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 09:20:36 AM »
IIRC, Tom Nieburh has a Carousel!  Light blue I believe.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline joe renfro

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 10:27:01 PM »
The one I built ...so long ago..is the only one I have ever seen..

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 11:41:25 PM »
Yep,

Here is my "Carousel". It is a good flying airplane. Unfortunately, it  is no longer. The booms are actually very strong, since they have 1/8" sq in all 4 corners. This both adds strength and allow getting a round shape.

Charles Mackey is one fine person. Thankfully he survived the Calif fires, that came very close.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 03:27:44 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 09:17:33 AM »
Brother Tom,

It looked even better than I remembered!  Outstanding.

What happened: "Unfortunately, it  is no longer."  ??
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 03:46:02 PM »
Here's a picture of Vornholt's Carousel. I had the plan but Randy Ryan wanted it more than I did ;D
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here