News:

• May 04, 2024, 08:05:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BILL WERWAGE...Stunt grunt scan photos of today... His USA-1  (Read 16747 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
BILL WERWAGE...Stunt grunt scan photos of today... His USA-1
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:39:20 AM »
Jerry Worth of yesterday's scan for yesterday illustrated that "jet style trend and today brings to mind..BILL WERWAGE'S beautiful USA-1 that sported the most tasty "ghost-lace painted white wing and stab surfaces. I was told that he found this "makeshift masking" at his local supermarket meat counter display case bed liners). He then sprayed the coats of white over the base coat over dark grey-silver.
Just imagine how difficult that project would be....not only trying to keep that delicate masking from lifting during the painting...between all those ribs? THEN IMAGINE just what kind of a task it would be later down the road...to make a "DIG REPAIR!" WON'T EVEN GO THERE? LL~

(During my daze-days before retiring from Boeing...I took on lace painting for a few co-workers custom bikes. I ALWAYS MADE IT A HABIT...when ever shopping (often with my wife) TO KEEP A KEEN EYE BALL PEELED for items that I could use for "lace painted projects.
After seeing OUR BELOVED BILLY'S USA-1 UP-CLOSE AND PERSONAL through the lens of my old Minolta SR-2 with a rare Kilfitt Makro-Kilar (down to 2 inches) close up lens.
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: BILL WERWAGE...Stunt grunt scan photos of today... His USA-1
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »
I liked it better when he changed the look to copy Jerry Worth's Apterix.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:57:20 AM »
I liked it better when he changed the look to copy Jerry Worth's Apterix.
Dennis and Randy...Another shot of Billy's other beautiful flying USA-1. THE CAPTIVE NAVY folks always seem to gather round these Jet Stylers..and funny looking folks in "white pants and nurses uniforms" and their stunt models? LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 03:24:48 PM »
I still think that is the coolest classic plane there is. But that's just me.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 05:05:38 PM »
Not just you Randy...ME TOO... H^^ AND BUNCH'S OF OTHER ADDICTED JET JUNKIE SOULS!
Don Shultz

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 08:40:04 PM »
I agree I like the redo better than the original.  I remember at the time it was new I really did not care that much for it, but it is growing on me..!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 11:54:45 AM »
I've always been partial to Jerry Worth's aesthetics. I've liked most every plane he designed. Guess Bill did, too.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 03:08:03 PM »

Same here.  I just love the asthetics and I am dying to build one with the same sort of profile.  Since it has a thin airfoil, I redesigned it with an SV-11 wing.  Hopefully someday.

Where has Bill gone, by the way?  I've heard he ran into financial trouble.  I've also heard he devoted a lot of time to his business and hasn't had time to fly.  I've also heard he has basically disapeared and nobody knows where he is.

Matt Colan

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 03:20:06 PM »
Dung through my old magzines...Here is the cover shot when Bill in 1972 took home World Cup Willy. Gieske, according to the article, ran out of fuel...and ended up 2nd.
Too bad they didn't mention where Gerald Phelps ended up....
Also attached is Gerry's beautiful removable winged VENTURE which is #4 on the splattering of pictures..
When you read the author...you can tell he wasn't much into CLPA. LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 01:27:09 AM »
Thanks for these shots and for bringing up Billy's name and planes.

I talked for many hours with Bill about the USA-1.  He recovered the wing and cut the rudder down to create the *second* version from his first one, so both sets of pictures were possibly (probably) the same airframe. That first one was built in late '68 and he had a dated photo that was taken in Nov. '68, IIRC.  He built a total of three USA-1s he said, and he was still using the USA-1 wing until his second version of the Geo XL!  The two large Junars he built used USA-1 wings, and he really got use to that wing.

I was going to build a piped USA-1 as a mule to test for Billy (not that I can fly good enough) but he turned to the geo bolt wing and his P-47s before I could get it done.  I did find out that it is very truthful when he said that you HAVE to keep a USA-1 in the mid 50oz. range to have it fly properly.  Mine was 54 oz, RTF and it is still my most favorite airplane I have ever had.  I am going to have to build another one before long.  ;D  I used a T&L ST G51 in mine and Bill suggested to try a PA .51 or .61.  I have one of each for usage and will go that route next time. ;D

After his Mother passed and the house was sold, Bill lost his work shop.  That really hampered things, for sure.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 08:56:13 AM »
I hope to see Bill back again when he gets things squared away. My personal feeling is, a well built USA-1 at about 54oz with a piped PA 40 would be a killer plane for PA. It would get scowls in classic due to the pipe, but would be a wonderful plane.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 05:51:46 PM »
I hope to see Bill back again when he gets things squared away. My personal feeling is, a well built USA-1 at about 54oz with a piped PA 40 would be a killer plane for PA. It would get scowls in classic due to the pipe, but would be a wonderful plane.

I have always like Bill's airplanes.  From his Vulcan to the Ares, Super Ares, USA-1, Junar, Juno, Geo XL, and his P-47s; I have always like the looks of those planes in particular and I want to build basically each one of the names I just listed.  Say there is an idea.  Design a stuntship incorporating a little bit of each plane into it.

I would also like to see Bill back flying again.

Matt Colan

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 09:37:01 AM »
I shot this in Lexington KY, thinking about 76, might have been 75

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 11:50:02 AM »
When I was a young kid in Elkhart, Indiana, Bill became a hero of mine when the famous picture of him holding his "Ares" appeared in American Modeler's 1959 Nats coverage. I had never seen such a beautiful model, especially built by someone only three years older than I. I even built an Ambroid kit of the old Consolidated "Whipsaw" and painted it to "resemble" Bill's plane. I never forgot that "Ares" model, and it was part of the reason I came back to this hobby, when I learned that people were still flying CL. What I didn't realize was that for the last 23 years I had been living within half an hour of Bill Werwage. Bill had earned quite a reputation for single-minded devotion to CLPA, but I was surprised to learn that we had come close to encountering him from time to time in musical circles, as wife Gusti and he had sung and played a few of the same venues. The best thing though was to learn his friendliness at the field, when I'd go out to fly at mid-day during the week and find him practicing or testing ideas, engines, etc. One day I remember well was when he was preparing for the 2004 World Championships (which he won), having some trim problems with his modern USA-1 piped model, which he ultimately had to put away in favor of his trusty P-47. In the midst of what must have been a frustratiing time, he came over and spent 20-30 minutes trying to solve my SkyRay/Fox .35 fuel pickup problem. I surely hope he will be back flying, but perhaps the horse riding business is too demanding now. I think that he's a great guy, and the best flights I have ever seen were done by him at our grass circles, especially one the night the local journalist was out there interviewing and watching. Bill made a special effort to come out with his P-47 (Jerry Phelps, too). He has also judged our Cleveland Area Stunt Championships on occasion.

SK

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 12:23:58 PM »
More recent photos:

1 -2) Bill's "1962 Ares" at VSC 14

3) Bill and "Ares", VSC 14

4) Bill's bubble-canopy P-47 at our field, 2004 when he decided to switch back from the modernized "USA-1" model for the WC. This one seemed to fly the best, but he chose the razorback version instead. I don't know whether I have prints of the "USA-1" derivative.

5) Larry Lowe's photo of Bill Werwage and Bob McDonald at the VSC-14 Concours.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 01:25:52 PM »
Serge
Outstanding photos.....and it was be fantastic to have you pick someone for "GRUNT" for the day that just maybe you might also have some more of the great photos to attach.
Thanks Serge'
You write with such clarity....and with great detail which would really help goggle the memories of other friends, peers or anyother person that has made such a difference to our "hobby-
sport"
(why is it that personally...this has always "bunched my britches in a bind" when I hear that expression...HOBBY SPORT and still after all these years...I continue to wonder why we use that OXY-MORON HOBBY-SPORT TITLE?
Some how it  just isn't what this R&R thang' (rocks and bricks tied on strings and swung around our heads) as many of my beloved brothers in R/C have razzed me so many times over the decade with such glee and delight insist in calling us. VD~ LL~ LL~)

Kidnapping my own post??!! n~ This is one place where perhaps kiddnapping is appropriate' and just maybe...the Stunt Grunt theme isn't correct.
I would prefer maybe another word....somethin' like LOUNGE-TANK TALK ??? Where just about any thing remotely that is on our "hobby-fever induced and damaged minds?

JUST GO FOR IT...and this also GOES FOR YOU LURKNG GANG OF CLPEEE-A ERS' Jump in here with your favorite mentor, peer' or friend of modeling.
(As you know...these folks that you think need not know a heckity damned thing about control line or even stunt models.
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 10:54:11 AM »
I just HATE sittin down here at the computer...and typing in my favorite website for beautiful photos and stories that perhaps show and tell more about the history and beauty of our CLPA addiction at  http://fesselflug.eu/
Why...because I have burned almost 2 hours of stepping back in time with great photos from photographers like Claudia Kehnen.
Here are few samples of perfection.
BE FOREWARNED....THE CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS ADDICTIVE IN NATURE...
Don Shultz

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »
I found my VSC 14 and WC prints. Here are some more for this thread. 'sorry (as usual) about the poor scans and files. I need a better scanner and program.

1) Bill Werwage holds up new "62 Ares"
2) Bill with Bill Rutherford's Rabe Mustang near dusk.
3) With Bob McDonald , and Warren Tiahart at Rodeway Concours
4) Preparing P-47 at NCCL field Summer, 2004 before WC's
5) Same - ready to release from Stooge.
6) Watching WC Flights, 2004
7) After winning WC, Muncie, 2004

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 03:51:43 PM »
Great to see these old prints from slides...even if the quality scan taint' the best...(Guess I should talk...since my new Epson Perfection 35mm V-300 slide and neg scanner isn't the best product in cyberland either...but not a bad bang for $99.00 (depending where you shop? H^^

(check out those solid lead outs...and if I remember...Bill used single strand flying wires too in those days...(to reduce line  air drag and drape...plus lighter in weight as a bonus. Single strand always scared the  VD~ VD~ VD~out of me, as moisture plus very very fragile and toooooEZZZ to kink! Also the spongie-bungeeeebounce feel to the controls also....just didn't eva'feeel quite right..
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:15:29 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 09:57:33 PM »
Never nuff photos of the beautiful USA-1
Again, thanks to Les McDonald ....here is his  Bill's 1973 FAI USA-1 scanned slide.
First scan at default setting
next scan with Arc Media Impressions program that came with the Epson V300 scanner
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:44:23 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Kerry Ewart

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 12:29:08 AM »
out of all the aircraft kitted someone should do a laser kit of this one.
"If you cannot beat them!JOIN THEM.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 03:25:29 PM »
out of all the aircraft kitted someone should do a laser kit of this one.

AMEN!!!  Also they should kit Dave Gierke's Novi III, with an anhedral tail.  Both are very cool and I would be the first one to get one of those kits if they were kitted.

Matt Colan

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 06:35:51 PM »
Here's two really crummy photos of Billy and I.
Judging in Trinidad and somewhere in Europe.
We have stories but you'll never ever see them here!

Les McDonald
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 05:42:05 PM »

Nope.... its most of us! Naturally I like the modified second version best. Sharp as a knife edge gets!

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 08:30:43 PM »

Bob Mcdonald  Just built a USA-1 that is an exact copy of Bill's, He brought it to fly at the  Team Trilas, Billy flew it all day to help Bob trim, Bill said it was wonderful, It has a Merlin 40 on a header muffler, It has an abundance of power and flies Great.
Seemed like Bill was getting fired up to build another...maybe making the Classic guys at VSC nervous   LL~

There are picture of the plane here at SH, along with Bill's original which McDonald has
Randy

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 01:57:23 PM »
Here is Bob McDonald's USA-1.  Whenever I see pictures of this airplane, I want to build the plane more and more.  I have a set of plans to USA-1, and I traced an SV-11 airfoil in place of his thin airfoil that can't take a lot of weight.  Someday, I keep saying, someday I will either build my version of USA-1 with the thicker airfoil or the classic version.

Matt Colan

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 02:48:07 PM »
Here's two really crummy photos of Billy and I.
Judging in Trinidad and somewhere in Europe.
We have stories but you'll never ever see them here!

Les McDonald
I tried to clean up your "crummy" pixs Les. I've fixed worse! Let me know if you have more that need help.We appreciate all that you share,cousin!  LL~
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 04:33:41 PM »
Bill Wright & Jim Dunkin used to tell us stories when they would return from the World Champs in the European countries.  Like stated some are best left out of print.  Nothing like our clean cut all out competitors from the good ole USA.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 06:07:38 PM »
The 2008 US team management kept a tight rein on the stunt team and allowed no unseemly shenanigans.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 09:32:13 AM »
The 2008 US team management kept a tight rein on the stunt team and allowed no unseemly shenanigans.
HOWARD....WOW! 2008...TELL US MORE? %^@ ~^ LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »
Bob Hunt once mentioned he almost got the entire US team arrested in Poland at the Worlds.

Edit: Bob didn't almost get the team arrested, he did get the team arrested, at gunpoint at the Worlds in Poland
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:36:03 AM by Matt Colan »
Matt Colan

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »

There's such a thing as seemly shenanigans?  ;)

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 03:59:45 PM »
There's such a thing as seemly shenanigans?  ;)
Yeh...Mike!
SHENANIGANS pub and eatereeee' on the Tacoma Waterfront purty good licks! LL~ H^^
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2009, 08:14:53 AM »
The one I think I can relate was the early year of when we could send a Junior entrant.  Seems a lady of the night was getting friendly with him before he was enlightened.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 07:30:31 AM »
Found some pictures of Bill Werwage and his previous airplanes, particularly of his Geo XL, and decided I should post them.

I also found some other airplanes of old, like Dave Fitzgerald's Star Gazer II and compared it to his ThunderGazer of today.  The site I found these on is like Shultzie says, EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE!!! http://fesselflug.eu/

Matt Colan

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2009, 08:09:36 AM »
These are great photos, Matt! Thanks for posting them. I believe many of them were originally taken by Claus Maikis.

The first photo, listed as "Billy's first Geo" is actually a photo of my son, Robby's, Geo-Star. That photo was taken at the 1994 World Championships in Shanghai, China. Robby was our Junior F2B team member that year. He placed third (Bronze Medal). With that ship Robby also won the 1995 Nats in the Senior division. It was powered by an OPS .40 with a Future Force tuned pipe. It featured a totally original wing design and was built in the Lost-Foam system as a Warren Truss type. We both liked that wing so much that I incorporated it into my Genesis Extreme design.

We have the pencils for the Geo-Star and have been considering publishing it in Stunt News. We have received a number of requests for the plans over the years. Billy's Geo-XL was in the 700 square inch range, but Robby's Geo-Star was 620 square inches in area. It weighed in at 52 ounces. The model still exists and belongs to a modeler who lives in our area. Robby has had thoughts about buying it back from the current owner and converting it to electric power and using it as a practice ship.

Thanks again for posting these photos, Matt!

Bob Hunt 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here