News:

• April 25, 2024, 08:32:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CAPTAIN LEW WALLICK JR...Boeing's test pilot and friend of modeling has passed.  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Today at our Bi-monthly Boeing retired WindTunnel bunch luncheon at the Burien Elks we had one of the early B-47 Design Engineer gave a great photo and speech presentation to the amazing B-47.
Sadly, during the show....Mr. Beck mentioned that his long time friend LEW WALLICK JR. (Boeing's last  B-47 Chief test pilot for the B-47 program (and my long time good  Boeing friend) passed away this last August 19,  2009 and enbarked on his final and most adventurous test flight ever!!

He was just a kid of 85 year old and still flew his little high lakes fishin' float plane all over the NW and who will  ever forget  that  beautiful little Boeing P-12  that he kept flight ready in the hanger of the Delivery Center along side of what new Boeing plane he was test flying at the time.

Lew would often call us at the wind tunnel and tell us just in the nick of time when he would take that little Boeing P-12 of his up for a noon day flight on some of those rare sunny summer days.
We would take our lunch sacks up onto the wind tunnel roof and watch his take-offs and landings....almost like our very own personal airshow.

During those days...both Lew and Pete Bowers would often visit the old Boeing archives which was located next to our Station 6 located at the old long gone Boeing 2-83 bldg. at Plant 2.

Since my make shift borrowed art studio was located in the archives bldg. itself, right next to our flutter model build up area...
Both Lew or Pete would often stop over next door to see what was on my drawing table. However both Pete and Lew, most of all.... loved those quick tours of what was going on in my fluttermodel shop next door.

Lew is survived by his beautiful wife Sara and children. He was blessed with many grandchildren. After he retired I kept in touch with  his son....who still worked with some of my friends over in Renton. I would E mail Lew with photos of what was on our windtunnel tables....until I too, retired in 2004.
Sadly I wish I had continued our friendship. I did however visit his home just NE of Enumclaw  for a BaaBaaaCue' that was given for a few of his co-workers and various friends who helped with his retirement party.

Perhaps many of my model buds have seen my Lew Wallick Jr. FISHIN'FLYIN-SKIIN' TOON of Lew on this board but here is a low resolution shot of a that drawing.

Lew had a loooooooooooooooooooooooong amazing career as a test pilot.
B-47, B-52, KC-135, 707, 720, 727, 737 747SP, 757, and his last...the 767!

God took back one of the best of the best....HAPPY LANDING AND CLEAR BLUE SKIES...LEW!

(Last shot)found old Polariod test photo for comparison test.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:08:52 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here