News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:49:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CALLING "DOC" LAIRD JACKSON???? WHERE OR WHERE IS HE TODAY?  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
CALLING "DOC" LAIRD JACKSON???? WHERE OR WHERE IS HE TODAY?
« on: January 26, 2010, 07:22:27 PM »
Diggin' through Les's beautiful old Kodachromes...I found a shot of DOC LAIRD JACKSON...who over the years has GIVEN SOOOOOOO MUCH  TO SOOOOOO MANY of our national and World Cup competition flyers.

Callin all  you WORLD CUP WILLY NILLEEE'S...Any more photos and stories to share about our DOCTOR, DOCTOR...GIMMEEE THE NEW JACKSON...LEADER OF THE PACK FOR OUR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP CLPA FLYERS..past and present?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:31:52 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: CALLING "DOC" LAIRD JACKSON???? WHERE OR WHERE IS HE TODAY?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 05:41:37 AM »
Doc is alive and well, will be 80 this year (with a mind and body 30 years younger!), living in his beautiful old/new home with his wife, Marie. Flying a little CL with the New Jersey crowd and some FF as well (mostly rubber powered as I recall).

Yes, Doc has given so very much to the U.S. CL community. He was essentially the reason that the U.S. FAI program even existed in the early days. He served as the U.S. FAI CL representative for many, many years (40 +/- (?) ) and was the chairman of the F2 subcommittee of the CIAM for a good share of that time. He managed the U.S. F2 teams to world championships through the 70's.

Some do, but many don't realize that Doc is a world-renowned geneticist. When you see the news reports of the latest break-through in examining and understanding the genetic code, think of Doc.

Regards,

Bil lLee
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 07:56:19 AM »
I judged 2 FAI team selections under the direction of Doc. He also asked me to Judge in Russia one year, but during the Cold War, it would have conflicted with my job.

It is safe to say that we owe the development of our teams to Doc. He is quite a guy!

I am sure that past team members can tell many stories
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:15:42 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:49:54 PM »
There's alot of people that have devoted a big chunk of their lives for the betterment of model aviation in general and stunt in particular.
Doc is one of those folks. Many names come to mind but, to me personally, Doc is very special.
I can never repay him for the favors but I can say "Thanks Doc".

Les McDonald
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here