News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:13:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BRUCE MALM-STUNT GRUNT FOR TODAY  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
BRUCE MALM-STUNT GRUNT FOR TODAY
« on: December 11, 2006, 02:46:10 PM »
Bruce Malm...one of the best young kiddy builders that I have ever launched a plane for.

He was flying a pattern when he was.....ABOUT 4 YEARS OLD?

I met Bruce a very very long time ago...the slide says Jan 65

Check out his beautiful custom  scratch built "Cirrus" designed by George Lieb.

Bruce and his long time neighbor  Mike Potter, remained friends for a very very very very long time. Both young men were both old PROS MODELGRUNTS even before they went to kindergarden?  **)

I ended up with George's beautiful original... and ended up using that model for a plan base to build two more copies.
 Unfortunately I have only one horrifical basket case of the last Cirrus that I splattered all over Seattle's last San Point Naval airstation's tarmac by a damaged bellcrank platform and leadout...due to a very BAD BAD PULL SCALE!

Check out that generous stab and HUGE ELEVATORS...
PERSONALLY...I HAVE NEVER FLOWN ANY STUNTER LIKE THIS CIRRIUS THAT TURNS WITH SUCH EASE...AND CONSISTENCY! NOTICE THE SHORT NOSE MOMENT AND LONG TAIL MOMENT...NO BAR-BELL EFFECT, WHAT-SO-EVER.
TALK ABOUT "POWER STEERING...

With Bruces amazing flying talent, young age and blinding reflexes, stoked WITH POSILUTLY-ABSOTIVILY NOT A FEAR BONE IN HIS YOUNG SKINNY BODY...HE COULD PATTERN THAT PLANE TO PERFECTION...EACH AND EVERY FLIGHT.

It was almost SICKINININNIN' TO LISTEN TO HIS MENTOR...GEORGE LIEB RAVE AND RANT..JUST HOW HIS YOUNG STUDENT WAS GOING TO TAKE NOT ONLY THE NATS..BUT ALSO TAKE HOME WORLD CUP WILLY!!!
Then came...Vietnam!!!!!!!!!!!!! He had even George Lieb and I on our knees almost everynight during those horrific war times.
When will we ever learn????
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 04:10:00 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: BRUCE MALM-STUNT GRUNT FOR TODAY
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 02:48:56 PM »
Here he is launching another young man's profile...He too remained a life long friend of Bruce.
Those were the days...
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 02:54:22 PM »
This last photo is of extremely poor quality. I took this with Kodachrome 10 at almost dark with an old Minolta SR-2 with no meter.

Here we see Bruce launching for Ed Knudson...and his beautiful one of a kind...that was also a total loss on its first offical flight. (The bellcrank platform let go...from A VERY VERY OVER AMBITIOUS PULL TEST.
WE LOST TWO BEAUTIFUL BRAND NEW MODELS AT THAT LAST DAY...DUE TO PULL TEST SCALES THAT WERE FAR AND AWAY...DEAD SH^ HAPPENS WRONG!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 02:59:55 PM by Robert Storick »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 02:57:27 PM »
As poor as that photo taken of Bruce and Ed....
check out that beautiful I Beam wing...
ED KNUSTON...ALWAYS GLEANED TOP APPEARENCE POINTS AT EACH AND EVERY CONTEST OF HIS CAREER.

WHERE IS ED KNUTSON NOW...HE WAS ONE OF OUR TACOMA SKI PARTNERS, MOTORCYLE NUT-STUNTGRUNTS...LEADER OF OUR FINISHING PACK IN THOSE DAYS LONG AGO...
Don Shultz

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 04:30:05 PM »
Smotzie,

You're to good to me. I wasn't flying a full pattern until about13 >15. I didn't have any helpers until I met George and Mike Potter and I got to be close friends. I did have my little brother Jeff flying and performing loops with a Ringmaster with a McCoy 35 on it at age 5. He had to use 2 hands and lean back. Learning the pattern was from the book. I didn't really enter any stunt contests till moving to south and flying in WAM.
I won a few trophies before heading to VN.
Mike and I were busy competing in Carrier and Rat Race when I was still there.

I really look forward to retiring (about 2 yrs. or sooner) and being able to travel North and all over the USA to see you and everybody else. I'll probably end up in Oklahoma and plan on my own paved circles , RC runway, and shooting range along with a couple of RV sites for people that want to stop by, fly, or just BS, or if they just need a place to rest.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.

PS. I bet you had to throw away the Ice cube trays Mike and I bought you for Christmas as soon as you got married.

Bruce

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 04:42:38 PM »
Bruce, when you retire, land yourself in the Tulsa, OK area.  They have a great bunch of guys and gals there.  Also their field is being improved each year as time goes along.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 04:48:06 PM »
Doc
Kinda depends where I can get the best deal on home and property. I always look to see how far away I'll be from Tulsa.

My place will be another place to fly and hopefully on enough property and in an area where NOBODY can stop me from doing the things I love to do until the day they put me in an URN.

Bruce

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 05:54:36 PM »
Doc
Kinda depends where I can get the best deal on home and property. I always look to see how far away I'll be from Tulsa.

My place will be another place to fly and hopefully on enough property and in an area where NOBODY can stop me from doing the things I love to do until the day they put me in an URN.

Bruce

PUT U IN AN URN!!!! **)
HEY, HOW BOUT THIS, BRUCE..
 When I was a little-bitty-baby...my Grandfather, who used to be a real skeetshootin' son of a gun.
He always joked about having some of his skeet shootin' buds...take his ashes..and load them in a bunch of shells....then take his old overn-under Browning special...and go out turkey hunting and whispering...."Hey big Gobbler...THIS ONE'S FER OL' JOE OSBORN.
My grand dad...loved things that flew...as long as they had feathers.

Man, how he loved his huntin-n-fishin. Do you remember those old shot-guns and Winchester 30-30 that I used to hide in my apartment?
Don Shultz

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 10:45:09 AM »
Smotzie,
Teena and I use to shoot on a Skeet League. I have a nice 3/4 cock bird thrower we use out in front of my shop. Teena and I have talked about putting in a regular Skeet and Trap field when we move. The electric throwers have come way down,they even have a three button remote, and I can build the low and high houses, trap pit, and shooting station pads.

Now you've given me a new idea. I wonder how many clay birds they can get out of 200+ pounds of old man.

Bruce               f~ f~ j1

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 09:26:07 AM »
Hi Bruce,

Are you/have you returned to CLPA competition?  Would love to see you at VSC when we are retired!  I have two and a hlaf years to go before I can.  Looks like VSC 2010 before I know I can get there........

Good luck!
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 10:44:51 AM »
I went to the Ted Goya(spelling) contest in Woodland but got there too late and I hadn't had any real practice. I did get to see Phil Granderson and I think he remembered my wife and I at Wittier Narrows. I think I will have my field at home ready this spring so I can really start flying and practicing again. and enter some contests next year.
Bruce
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:20:21 AM by bruce malm »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 11:50:44 AM »
Bruce.
As you know....our brother Phil had that amazing gift to not only remember faces, n' places...but also his ability to remember NAMES TO THOSE FACES! 
Bottom line:
Phil to me is the ultimate example of a People Person and Bruce, you can be sure...that he remembers you!
 As you can tell by this forum, Phil Granderson's  name comes up often, again and again.

Although his model craftmanship and flying are legendary...as a friend, he will never be forgotten.
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here