News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:11:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BRUCE GALE....ALL AROUND master model builder. Where is he today?  (Read 4396 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Over the years...BRUCE GALE's name always come to mind.... when I think of friends of modeling who gave so much time, talent and support to modelbuilders and flyers here in the Pacific Northwest.
Bruce, in the early days daze of modeling was an skilled  pilot of his own full sized  airplanes and often gave so many of us a chance to enjoy the "chills and thrill of aerobatics in that little clipped wing Citabra of his...over the fields around the Puyallup valleys around Thun field.

I shall never forget that time...he let me experience what a FULL SCALE REVERSE WING OVER felt like to that old Blue Nobler that I was flying in CLPA at the time? 

I managed to hang tough and even managed to enjoy that one......but on the next stunt...I really let out a whimper and whine...
after Bruce performed his infamously famous BRUCE GALE "LOMB-SLAAA-LOCK" flippity flop... always ending with a looooooooooooooooong tail slide.

(After that flight...I began to have a better first hand knowledge in what CLPA model parts needed more careful attention during  construction building time!! ~^

Bruce FLEW EVERYTHING from control line, R/C and was noted for his beautiful vintage free flight models. I miss his friendship and many many many funny stories that always got bigger and better as the years past. LL~
ANY ONE HAVE ANY BRUCE GALE STORIES...JUMP IN HERE AND SHARE THEM TODAY?
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: BRUCE GALE....ALL AROUND master model builder. Where is he today?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »
Hay, Schultzie...I'm thinkin' that Bruce Gale was in that picture you posted of Gene Matheney "holding klass"...the one with Leo and Joe Dill. I'm thinkin' that Bruce was one of the dudes on the far right, nearest the camera. I always wondered who that was, and a few of the others.  I looked an' looked for the thread that had that pic (and I think you posted it twice), and couldn't find it.  Hep me! HB~> Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 09:54:53 AM »
Hay, Schultzie...I'm thinkin' that Bruce Gale was in that picture you posted of Gene Matheney "holding klass"...the one with Leo and Joe Dill. I'm thinkin' that Bruce was one of the dudes on the far right, nearest the camera. I always wondered who that was, and a few of the others.  I looked an' looked for the thread that had that pic (and I think you posted it twice), and couldn't find it.  Hep me! HB~> Steve
Uhh?
Bruce had really dark hair...but I don't remember either modeler to the right of Joe? However Bruce's hair was alway JET=BLACK...(hummm? Wonder if he used Krylon Black or AeroGloss?) LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Bob Beckett

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 11:06:43 AM »
Although the original poster has passed away, someone may be interested in a 2005 newspaper article featuring a Bruce Gale of Puyallup WA at this address:  http://www.chronline.com/sports/in-a-word-lewis-county-lake-fishing-is-slow/article_6d60e054-fbfd-5c0b-9bd2-42b555665e2b.html

Don't know if it's the same person. Possible tel. #  (253) 845-0705

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 06:44:11 PM »
While it could well have been the same Bruce Gale, all the OT FF guys I know have already passed on, so I'm having a tough time thinking of who to ask about "Bruce Gale and his Bush Piloting" and such. It happens that I've fished at Swofford Pond. We made one lap in my canoe,  caught one bass about 12" long, and left!

I only recall a 2nd hand story about Bruce building a new 1/2a gas model (SIG kit, high thrustline, can't recall the name right now). Test flying out at HLP, started the engine and launched, without starting the timers, and the new plane flew perfectly, straight up and out of sight. Likely never seen again, except maybe by US Army troops or a lumberjack.

My Ramrod 600 went from HLP to the end of the runway at Thun Field. Some pilot saw it, went out and got it, and brought it into the office, where Bruce Thun was awed by its beauty. I'm kidding about that last bit. I was 17 when I built it and it wasn't very lovely! But I talked to Bruce Thun maybe 5 years ago, as he was getting ready to retire. He still remembered that Ramrod being brought into the office/home.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Richard Logston

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 11:47:10 AM »
I knew Bruce very well. Been to his house where the garage ceiling was covered with hanging airplanes of all types. Last time I saw him was at the Puyallup model expo. He belonged to the Mt Rainier Radio Society club. At that time we flew at the Bethel high school field. I remember Gale showing up with a nice P-39 on a reeds radio system. We encouraged him to fly it, unfortunately it to off rolled over and splat. Felt bad for him. You did not have to see Bruce in a crowd to know he was there, you could here him a mile away. Bruce was indeed an icon around western Washington modeling circles in those days. Richard

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here