News:

• May 09, 2024, 11:57:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BOB WHITELY...STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY!" REVISTED FOR TODAY!  (Read 6492 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
BOB WHITELY..NATS 1973...in Oshkosh, Wisc. brought to the scene one of the most beautiful models to ever fly stunt.  This one was named after his equally beautiful work of art...his daughter Kelly Sue who also graced the cover of Model Airplane News July 77 issue.

Inside the cover is an article on his award winning stunt model that he patterned after the Formula One looks that would not only fly with great precision but would glean those well earned appearence points that would assure any good flyer with an outstanding model a top spot at the winners stand.
The articles main theme was what BOB HUNT and many other ICON stunt flyers always stress and that it is of PRIME IMPORTANCE OF PERFECT ALIGNMENT...IS JOB # ONE!

HEY GANG! TIME TO JUMP IN HERE AND GIVE US YOUR BOB WHITELY STORY and photos if you gottum.... H^^

Hey Gang...I found one slide from my collection of another later model Miss Kell of Bob's.
(gads, I wish could scann betta but my slide was under exposed,.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:37:49 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: BOB WHITELY...STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY!"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 11:35:32 PM »
Bob's my hero.
He flies anything really well, and is a super trimmer. The way he can adapt to bad conditions is pretty well known.
One of the best I have ever seen was at the '92 Nats in Chickopee, Mass when he made the fly-off with the four year old Showtime Laser.

The Saturday Walker Trophy Fly-Off was really hot and humid. The air was dead. The way that it was stacking up was that the Laser was too heavy to be competitive because the Super Tigre 60 was not powerful enough to get it through the atmospheric conditions with any kind of snap. In fact on the first flight he dragged the rudder on the ground in the second outside loop (but they all seemed right on top of one another, the other two must have been close)!

Bob set his mind to work on the problem and figured if the pipe motors can have small displacement and make enough power to haul big models with RPM, then the 60 can produce the power to haul the Laser by an increase in R's. This created an interesting set-up for the 60. Competitor Brian Eather suggested a 12x4 three blade to wind up the Tigre yet keep it in the airspeed range, with a lot of (Bob's favorite ingredient) nitro for this "more power" experiment.

Bob was up and needled the Tigre so that it sounded like the prop was near what the tuned pipes were making RPM-wise, but the engine was grunting through the muffler with a pretty quiet pounding. The model was off and cruising well, Bob hammered that Laser as hard as it would take, and amazingly it would accelerate out of the corners with authority. In fact it was good enough for him to push the big boys around. He eventually bested Bob Hunt for fourth.

Bob continues to be my coach and the words he told me the first time I asked him for help still stay with me, "Sure I'll help you, as long as you try to do what I tell you. When you stop listening, were done". Typical no-nonsense Whitely, straight to the point. No apologies.

Maybe later I can write some RJ controller stories. He was a famous, and very good LA Approach controller.

Chris...   

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:46:58 PM »
You know that cover pix of Miss Kell posing Miss Kell - that might be the greatest model mag cover of all time.

THAT was probably my personal favorite RJ airplane too - sooooo slick and flew fantastic.  STILL looks modern, and would really perform with modern engines too.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 08:43:28 AM »
You know that cover pix of Miss Kell posing Miss Kell - that might be the greatest model mag cover of all time.

(clip)

That bandage on the knee was a nice touch.    The story about that is that the bandage was for real and they did not realize it was in the picture until it showed up on the cover of the magazine. I have an autographed cover from that magazine.  Kelly is a phamacist and getting married in a couple of weeks.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 10:31:55 AM »
I first met Bob at the '93 NATS.  He had his '57 Chevy there, "protected by Smith and Wesson"! LOL!!

He was flying Dago Red IIRC.  Great guy to talk with.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
That bandage on the knee was a nice touch.    The story about that is that the bandage was for real and they did not realize it was in the picture until it showed up on the cover of the magazine. I have an autographed cover from that magazine.  Kelly is a phamacist and getting married in a couple of weeks.

Keith! Thanks for giving more information about Bob and Kelly. It is so nice to get updates from so many modelers from the past...what they are doing today...etc.
Again Keith...
I feel so fortunate to have modelers like you...with so much knowledge of not only our sport but also about our history and your contributions are so appreciated. You never cease to amaze me with your recall...and thanks for being there for all of us over the years.

Give both Bob and Kelly our best...and may her life be filled with happiness.
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 10:25:03 PM »
      Really liked the looks of that airplane. I built it soon after the magazine article. Used a foam wing from Bob Hunt. I believe but may be mistaken it was based on the Nobler airfoil.  Completed the model right up to the finishing stage then was sent to Europe on military assignment.  Needless to say the model arrived in a bunch of pieces thanks to the professional movers.  Some day I may build another. Love that anheadral stab.  Gotta admit Bob builds some very pretty airplanes.

Offline Bob Whitely

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 04:32:32 PM »
Folks,  Thanks so much for all the nice comments.  I wasn't aware of any of this til Keith said to take a look.  I am honored to even be mentioned in such august company.

As for the Miss Kell model it is my all time favorite of all the ones I have designed and built.  As stated I did use the Nobler wing as a basis and went from there. Why invent the wheel again.  I did rip off a lot of the design from one of Bob Violets' pylon racers from 1972.  What a looker!

I did pretty well as I seem to remember I got a 4th at the '73 Nats' with it.  I'm sketching up a new model that will be very reminiscient of the .35 Miss Kell but with a little larger engine and all the rest of the goodies we have now.

The real Miss Kell is now a pharmacist and an absolutely gorgous woman!  In fact will be going to her wedding this June in Seattle. 

Again thank you for all the nice things said and hope to see any and all at the Nat's or the great VSC!!   Bob Whitely

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 08:35:33 PM »
Hi Bob,

I always thought that was the coolest model magazine cover ever!  And yes, the band aid made it all the more special!

How's that S&W protected red and white '57 Chevy doing?  You gonna bring it to the NATS?? 

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 11:03:41 PM »
Here's Smilin Bob posing Miss Kell at the '73 Nats   ;D

(WELCOME Bob!)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 02:08:03 PM »
Wow, Bob. You were so svelte!
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jeff Reeves

• New Pilot
    • Jeff & Jenni's web site
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 06:37:44 PM »
We think so highly of Kelly, that we're going to her wedding - leaving Monday 4 from the great land down under.  Shawn's a top bloke too.  Bob can be rightly proud of both of his kids.
Jeff & Jenni Reeves
Was lost, but now am found

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 01:14:44 PM »
Alfadawg is the man!!!
Some time back, Gene Molnar and I got to hang out at Bob's house in Socal before he moved to Tucson. Gene and I had just come from Superior Balsa in Hawaiian Gardens and Eric Rule's RSM shop.

Bob showed us his ships. I got a chance to apologize to Bob for kicking the crap out of his protégé in beginner stunt many years ago when I first came to California from New York. A couple of people who are no longer with us were there that day: John Poynter and Bob Baron.

I remember first hearing about Bob in New York at Flushing Meadows, N.Y. Bob, Gene, Bill etc. were standing around talking about "this cat on the West Coast with a hot hand".

Make no mistake about; Bob indeed has a hot hand. Some years back in Fountain Valley, CA, Bob came in the circle with me while I was flying Dave Keefe's red Gieske Nobler. I handed off to him, and within 10 seconds, Bob found a minor trim problem that got past me.  I was really impressed.

Bob is a great competitor, a United States National Champion, and from my own personal experience, a hell of a nice person.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 01:59:59 AM »
I think John is still with us, likes to kill the desert with machine guns now.
Chris...

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
BOB WHITELY (Revisited and uplifted for today ...STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY!"
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Our thoughts and prayers are with Bob...his wonderful family..friends and friends as Bob goes through the process of healing.

Any one care to share some new  stories and photos about our brother in balsa?
Truly has made so many contributions to our hobby sport.

HEAL BROTHA'WHITELY!!!
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: BOB WHITELY...STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY!" REVISTED FOR TODAY!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 06:56:48 PM »
In case y'all are wondering what the above is all about, RJ suffered a heart attack yesterday, 10/2/09....had stents installed, med's pumped in, and at last report was resting comfortably.  Stay tuned....
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline dankar

• Captain
Re: BOB WHITELY...STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY!" REVISTED FOR TODAY!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 07:28:22 PM »
Best to Bob and hope has more years to fly.
Dan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here