News:

• May 08, 2024, 01:31:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Retired  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Leo Mehl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Retired
« on: October 08, 2009, 12:30:36 PM »
Considering recent events I have decided to retire from flying competion. I have been flying for many many  years and I now feel I am no longer concidered as a top flyer but that does not mean I am going to retire from flying or building. I will still be on the sidelines taking pictures and fratinizing with the flyers but feel at the age of 77 it is time to hange up the planes that i use for competion. My hips bother me a lot these days and I get tired a lot easier. Mentally  I have a hard time getting up for a contest and I feel that I don't want to so I have decided to be there but not as a participant but as a spectator. I will enjoy sport flying probably more tha anything and just have fun. VSC or Brodaks is not out of the question but I will leave the other to those that like competion. H^^ H^^
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 11:38:53 AM by Shultzie »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: Retired
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 07:40:14 PM »
Considering recent events I have decided to retire from flying competion. I have been flying for many many  years and I now feel I am no longer concidered as a top flyer

ICON ACE CAPTAIN ICON LEO MEHL...KING OF THE ORANGE!It  would truly make a no brainer guess that you have enough boxes of hardware-throphies-awards that could fill a COSTCO WAREHOUSE...

Try to remember....that ONE TRULY IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THEIR LAST GIG OR FLIGHT~~~
and CLPA EVENTS THAT ARE JUDGED BY MERE MORTAL HUMANOIDAL'S events.
Also stir into the HUMANOIDAL' SOUP..a poor luck of the draw...poor luck of weather timing or a bad engine setting or a blown plug or the old body just feels like poop...

LEO...NEVA SAY NEVA...perhaps time to sit back...take a pill or a  Bud Light and CHILL!
Time heal brotha and we are all here for you....until the grimeee-grim reaper takes that final swing at us..
In the meantime...MAY THE GOOD LORD TAKE A LIKING TO YOU...n back off on the LICKIN' TO YA FOR A SPELL!

I am going to dig through some history and photos for you this week.
Shultzie...
These are but a few from Stunt Hanger forum posts of the past....but I have a few other pretty good Leo Slides left (SLIDER..HUMM? GOOD NAME FOR A MODEL?
HEY GRUNTS..

LET'S POST SOME OF YOUR OWN MEMORIAL MEHL SHOTS of our favorite LEFTY!!!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 11:48:19 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 08:35:02 PM »
Having someone INFLUENCE you to ""Retirement"" is really the shi&#. Sometime people think their above the all mighty.  S?P S?P
Leo I'm NOT going to give you a gold plated watch nor an retirement party. Guess we'll have to have a fly off............the handle contest....... n~ n~ :## **). Anyway see you at the field in a few weeks after I see if my broken elbow heals enough.  ???
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 01:06:38 PM »
Leo,  you have ten years on this old kid, but, if you are like me in a couple of weeks you will be ready to go at it again.  I am finally learning to  get along with the hip and leg that feels like it is falling off.  You as well as the Silver Fox Lew Woolard are insperations to this old kid.  I just hope I can fly as well as you two do when I get to that age.  I am determined to stay on this rock as long as I can just to irritate the younger set.  Anyway you take care and maybe I will bring the Fox to VSC next year.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 08:32:39 PM »
Guy's Leo has been band for a while. I'll let him know that 99.9% love him ::) ::) ::) VD~
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 09:14:49 PM »
Guy's Leo has been band for a while. I'll let him know that 99.9% love him ::) ::) ::) VD~
BANNED???? U GOTTA BE RAZZIN N' JAZZIN.... BANNED FROM From what and where? U mean to say...that now my beloved brotha' in balsa shavings for the past 49 YEARS HAS BANNED...and how strange....
Until this moment I thought I was the only other brotha in paint fumes that has ever been banned by any CLPA Website..in Cyberspace..... f~ j1
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

I CAN SEE "BANNING THE BRA...BUT NOT OUR BROTHA LEO?"
...IF THIS IS REALLY TRUE.....then I say lets all take a TIME OUT FOR LEO?

Get back in here Leo!
AGAIN...LET'S ALL FORGIVE...CHILL OR TAKE A PILL..OR A LONG STIFF SNIFF FROM A CAN OF OLD AEROGLOSS GLOSSY BLACK!!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:48:29 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 05:39:47 PM »
And this all could have been avoided if STEVE would have posted the Critique Sheets I sent to him in the mail.  >:(

"another one bites the dust"
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 08:26:57 AM »
As my dear brolther Bob would say;  "They can get un-mad as fast as they got mad".  Of course in his prime he was 6-1 and solid muscle from construction work.  I sit hear think it is hard to beleive I have lived longer than any of my brothers.  Let's all give Leo a break.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »
I can hear it in LEO voice that he's down about this. I would be too. Things will change and get better soon. #^
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Richard Entwhistle 823412

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 03:40:16 PM »
To All

I just got off of the phone with Leo.  He asked me to relay to everyone that his "band" doesn't even have a gig in Portland and he forgot what instrument he plays.  He says he will continue to design, build and "fiddle" around with control line stunt.  He hasn't changed his "tune", for sure!

Later
Richard
Richard Entwhistle 823412
Scappoose OR

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 06:44:32 PM »
To All

I just got off of the phone with Leo.  He asked me to relay to everyone that his "band" doesn't even have a gig in Portland and he forgot what instrument he plays.  He says he will continue to design, build and "fiddle" around with control line stunt.  He hasn't changed his "tune", for sure!

Later
Richard

For both Steve and Leo's "BAND"...Let me take the intro-song bye da' Beetles...
"ALL YA NEED IS LOVE....DA-DA-DADA-DA 010! BW@
Don Shultz

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 08:32:50 PM »
and "LOVE" is a four letter word too!! na# na# na# **)

OH LEO'S BACK ON!!!!!!!!!! AP^
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 09:28:04 PM »
Gee, thanks fellers, No one loves this hobby more than me and it hurts to think that someone has the ordasidy to cause problems with a wonderful hobby like this. I am mad at no one but am disapointed in other peoples reactions to things that are not of any value and the harm they do to other people. I am sorry I got cought up in something that would get me banned from stunt hanger. I also think that the other person involved shoud apoligize to stunt hanger also, But for now I am a retired stunt flyer and am proud of the fact that I have designed and flown my own planes for a goodly number of years and I consider this one of my best  endeovers Over the years. I really like the flyers a lot in the northwest as well as those thruout the rest of the world. and respect them with really high regaards. Some of these guys are my best friends and am proud to say they think well of me. Concidering I am getting up in age I hope to carry the responsibility of my senior years with dignity and positive resolve. I especially would like to say that Scott Riese is a very good friend of mine and he and I have done a lot of travelling togather. Bill Veselick and Shultzie to name just a few have helped me thru the years. One of my best friends of the past is Ben Madsen and i have been lucky enough to outlive some of the flyers I used to fly with during the sixties. I have so many good memories of these people and the experiences we have had that I feel like I am the luckiest fellow to have tied lines to a Model airplane. H^^ H^^ H^^
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:20:12 PM by Leo Mehl »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here