News:

• April 18, 2024, 02:17:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Awesome Magazine  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Jim Pollock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Awesome Magazine
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:11:58 PM »
I sit here looking at my magazine that was excavated from a mass of like magazines held by Tom Morris.
Why is this particular magazine awesome?  1st is the label on the magazine itself.  It was mailed to:  G. M. Aldrich at 3219 Shady Springs, San Antonio, Texas 78230.  2nd  It has the definitive Bill Netzband article, Control Line Aerodynamics made Painless? (The question mark is mine because I find reading it to be absolutely painful).......Yet this magazine was once in the possession of one of the most influential Precision Aerobatic pilots on the planet.  He designed the airplane with more wins that Jimmy Carter has peanuts!  The date of this impressive magazine was July/August/1966.  That's forty four years ago.  How far has PA come in that time.  Well, a very long way I'd say!
But yet it still has probably the most definitive article about control line airplanes ever written.  I can imagine now George sitting on his patio sipping a cold iced tea and reading that article now.  I never ever heard him comment about that article when I met him and talked with him at length about control line airplanes.  The only negative comment I ever heard him make was about Windy's hourglasses.  The magazine still awe's me greatly, it has the control line definitive article by Bill, and it was held in the hands of the person who gave us the pattern we fly today.  As time goes by this is indeed an awesome moment!

Jim Pollock   :o   %^@   y1 

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Awesome Magazine
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:33:19 PM »
Is that what kept Windy out of the number one spot all this time? LL~ LL~ At the banquet it was stated that he has placed in the top 5 more than anybody without winning it all.  Have not researched it so I don't know.  I used to have all my magazines, but with moves and flooding lost a lot of them.  Recently I gave about a dozen boxes of magazines to a local modeler.  The rest went in the recycle as they couldn't be restored. :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 09:14:49 PM »
 That's really cool. y1 I've always enjoyed looking at the photos and reading the magazines from the "heyday" of our hobby/sport. The 50's through the 70's or so is my favorite time period for Control Line, so much history and so many new designs. I've been on a kick again recently myself digging out the old stuff and going over them again. I've been picking up some random copies of stuff on Ebay too, looks like I've got a big one to track down now. You mentioned the month and year, but which magazine is it?

Thanks for the "heads-up"!
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 11:08:52 PM »
Is that what kept Windy out of the number one spot all this time?

I hadn't noticed anything particularly bad about Windy's hourglass and I am essentially certain that that is not what has kept him from winning.  The fact that it was all done during the runs of the *best guys who have ever flown the event* - Walker, Fitzgerald, Fancher, Casale - is certainly a factor. The fact that he did it during the period where we went from 4-5 competitive guys to 25 or so every year is certainly is another. To consistently make the top 5 so many times proves he is a remarkable talent. Anyone who hasn't been in the mix for the flyoff has no notion how difficult it is to fly well on Top 20 day.  At this point I am smart enough not to go into the details of why *I* think he hasn't won. I am sure we will get plenty of colorful theories on the topic (having heard them for, oh, the last 20 years).

But the idea that a single maneuver might consistently cause someone (anyone) to just miss assumes that we are close to flying perfect flights. That's not the case at all. Even the best flights from the best ever (and I have been fortunate enough to see as many of those as almost anyone over the years) contain *numerous* fairly obvious errors. Everybody has their favorite errors that just persist over time, but those are generally have minimal effect on the outcome. Random errors are usually what makes the difference, and whoever makes the least number and magnitude of random errors wins the contest. Most the stuff people worry about - style, halo, judges bias, color of "stunt pants" etc, is entirely in their heads. Do the least number of errors when it counts and you are probably going to win.

What you have to do to minimize the random errors, given that the equipment is competitive* and the skills are present, is to put yourself in to the right frame of mind. The required state of mind varies from person to person. I know in my case that it's a very fragile and narrow range of *just enough aggressiveness* to attack the corners and maintain concentration, but *not too much*. My personal level is *very much more relaxed* than most people. Too laid back and I make one set of mistakes (2008 NATs Top 5 final flight - where I had them covered all week until the very last flight) and trying too hard I make a different set of mistakes (2007 NATs Top 5, pretty much all three, and first day of 2007 Team Trials). I have proven pretty much immune to mind games from others, but I can certainly do it to myself. Other people get, to me, wound up beyond conception, and need to, in order to maximize their performance. Many more get wound up beyond conception and it completely screws them up. You have to find that perfect mental state, and then maintain it during the pressure - and then any one of maybe 10-15 guys can put in NATs-winning performance.

Brett

*btw, achieving competitive equipment is a HUGE factor, far bigger than most people think. The days of getting it "good enough" and then going out and burning 20 gallons of fuel, if they ever existed, is *long gone*. I have certainly had my say on what it takes so it's a little off the point I was making here. But a lot of guys are STILL making it very hard on themselves by not fully developing their stuff - mostly trim and engine run, and trying to overcome it with practice.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 08:29:54 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 12:00:57 AM »
Good lord, that's possibly the most intelligent thing ive heard come out an aeromodellers head in YEARS.

Equipment ; Trim, engine runs, then practice - Ive only ever seen one case where practice beat equipment .

I love hearing the expression a bad workman blames his tools - but have you ever seen a master craftsman with substandard tools?  ;D

Well done Brett, saying what needed to be said.. having said that you left out judges blowout as a reasonable - plausable reason as to why some may or may not win.

Id like to see examples of times of flights during top 20 day as to what rounds were flown when . - I could be wrong, but Ive also seen it happen.

Halo.. not so much..
Flying styles : Ive seen some people penalised but i tend to agree its the mistakes not the style that loose you out there.
Stunt pants colour ; Jury is out .

I remember when everyone was flying on solids and I heard people saying Judges like to see the flicker of solids in the sun.

Ive also heard some judges not liking the sound of tuned pipes, or judges in the us.. only liking tuned pipes..

List of reasons, can go on and on. - I totally agree, fly well and you will score well ( most of the time )
 ???
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 06:45:29 PM »
PJ,

Brett's not a rocket/satellite engineer because he's dumb!  He's not reached the top of the stunt world because he just lucked out!  Credit where credit is most definitely due!

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 07:22:52 PM »
I realise all this :

I was simply saying - I havent heard someone SAY it.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 10:50:14 PM »
 Jim,

Please check your PM box.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member