News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:29:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARNOLD ADAIR  (Read 2292 times)

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
ARNOLD ADAIR
« on: May 15, 2014, 08:21:09 AM »
Folks:

I inherited a lot of fascinating books from my father, many to do with aviation - mostly fact, but a few fiction as well.  One that I particularly loved as a kid was called 'Secret Squadron' (probably not its title in the USA) by Laurence La Tourette Driggs.  It told the adventures of a First World War American ace, Arnold Adair, and a number of German-speaking pilots flying captured German two-seaters, the idea being that they would land at various German airfields, mingle with the other aircrew and thus gather intelligence... real spy-stuff, very well-written and hugely enjoyable. 

I believe there was a whole series of Arnold Adair stories, but this is the only one I've ever come across.  Does the name still ring a bell in the memories of any aged aviation enthusiasts over on your side of the pond?

Regards
John
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: ARNOLD ADAIR
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 03:17:48 PM »
I just read your post and Googled the name "Laurence La Tourette Driggs" and got a fair amount of information. It looks like Amazon can still get you a book or more, and another site spilled the family information. Google does a pretty amazing job on finding obscure information.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here