News:

• May 08, 2024, 08:36:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stunt Grunt Bicycler  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Leo Mehl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Stunt Grunt Bicycler
« on: July 16, 2008, 10:39:32 AM »
Monday I decided I had better do some exercise so I rode my bicle to Delta Park which is about 15 miles or 150 miles considering my age. Seeing there is no chance of me entering the Tour de France any year soon I was a little tired when I got there and on the way back stopped at the hobby shop. By the time I got home I was ready for a little rest. My problem her is where do you get the drugs they use on the tour De France. Gatorade just doesn't do it anymore. Anyway its always good weather at the flying field. and always good company but the miles seem harder to do. There is now less trafic on the road so it seems a little safer and I can still get the bike up over 20 mph on occasions. so am happy I can still ride, But those long tours I used to take are a thing of the past. It seems all I can do is go in circles or a strait line and that is better than going nuts. I am leaving myself wide open here. HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
Re: Stunt Grunt Bicycler
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:44:11 PM »
Leo what kind of bike are you riding? I also am a bike rider and ride a 1990 Cannondale Criterium and a Centurion Dave Scott Ironman. I am 68 so  Tour De France is not in the cards for me ether. You must be in good shape to do 15 miles. I doesn't take a lot of muscle but the cardiovascular system needs to be good good shape. When modeling friends come around I get them on a bike and they have a hard time getting around the block.Have fun riding .
Ed
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 06:44:30 AM by Ed Ruane »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 10:08:47 AM »
Good for you Ed. I used to do Centry rides all the time but since I had a small stroke and a triple bypass I have been somewhat slowed down, but as Winston Churchill said, I will never give up. Keep exersizing. Cures a lot of ills. Oh by the way I Ride a Lamond cross bike with Carbon fiber forks, but it's no light wieght I also have an old Panasonic Road bike I had a touring bike that someone stole from me. I used it on a 200o mile trip one year. I was 61 years old then in 1993. I used to ride about 10,00 miles a year when I was in my 60's. I really miss those long trips. I sure met a lot of nice people biking #^ #^ #^

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »
Leo that drug the Tour De France riders have been using is EPO. n~ It builds up the red blood cells. Some team doctors were caught with thousands of doses several years ago. They use to take transfussion befor they had this drug .It is all very disgusting.  :X I think a good sniff of DuPont thinner would do the same thing. Just kidding. y1 I bought two gallons today so I am all set for a race. That is a race to get some planes finished. H^^
Ed

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 07:29:53 PM »
Leo, from what I was told at the NATS you shouldn't be on a bike.  But, like any streneous exercise you need to start slow.  Have fun, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 07:04:31 PM »
Leo, from what I was told at the NATS you shouldn't be on a bike.  But, like any streneous exercise you need to start slow.  Have fun, DOC Holliday
Doc, I can't get much fraster than slow. HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 01:52:35 PM »
Hi Leo:

First off, congrats on being on a bike at all, at any speed! If my math is right you have 76 years on those knees and the soft stuff inside the chest. And if you can still do 20 mph, and read the speedo while doing it, better still! I hit 60 myself recently but can still give my Colnago C-50 a workout. I meet guys in the very steep  Oakand/Berkeley hills all the time in their 60s and even 70s. Did a time trial up Mt. Diablo a few years back (3700 feet up in seven miles); one of the earlier finishers was 80! If your doc says you are fit to ride, keep at it. Overall fitness increases one's appreciation of life and gets the feel-good endorphins flowing, too.

And by the way the top teams in the Tour de France are resolutely and proven drug-free. Catch tomorrow's Tour stage up L'Alpe d'Huez!

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 09:48:46 PM »
Hi Leo:

First off, congrats on being on a bike at all, at any speed! If my math is right you have 76 years on those knees and the soft stuff inside the chest. And if you can still do 20 mph, and read the speedo while doing it, better still! I hit 60 myself recently but can still give my Colnago C-50 a workout. I meet guys in the very steep  Oakand/Berkeley hills all the time in their 60s and even 70s. Did a time trial up Mt. Diablo a few years back (3700 feet up in seven miles); one of the earlier finishers was 80! If your doc says you are fit to ride, keep at it. Overall fitness increases one's appreciation of life and gets the feel-good endorphins flowing, too.

And by the way the top teams in the Tour de France are resolutely and proven drug-free. Catch tomorrow's Tour stage up L'Alpe d'Huez!
Been watchin the Tour and did a ride in Idaho one year and two passes, One was 7,701 feet and the Galena pass that is 8,701. Got my hart ratr up pretty good and I love paine. It feels so good when it stops. We also had snow that same day on top of the pass. I love touring in Idaho. Also had a few words with Hemmingway while there.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 10:39:40 AM »
Some friends of mine here in the Bay Area are off to Idaho today for some cycle touring. One is a native of Idaho so knows his way around. I hear they have some mountains there. My brother in law who lives in Boulder did the Tour of the Rockies two years ago, several passes over 12,000 feet. One stage was cancelled due to snow, in July. Great sport and lifetime hobby, like that other hobby that runs on methanol and castor oil and balsa dust. (Got in a model aviation reference!)

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 02:45:36 PM »
This ties in CL,RC and biking so here goes. The Hunterville field was closed for six months at the end of last year until this spring for repair to the top cap of the dump that we fly on. Humpy Wheeler president of Lowes Motor Speedway set up a area for RC and CL but it never did work out for CL. Back in January I was at the Lowes site to get some flying lessons on a friends RC glider. I had my Centurion Ironman road bike with me and had been riding it around the parking lots for about 15 minutes when this guy asked me if I had run in the bicycle time trials held there at Lowes. I said no as I was intimidated by the $7000 bikes and the past Tour De France riders that show up. He said he liked my bright pink and yellow bike.Yes I told him it's kind of a joke that a bike named Ironman would have a factory paint job that is pink and yellow. He asked me how fast I could do the 7 laps,10 miles around the speedway. I spoke without thinking and said at least 20 mph.He said I don't believe it and said lets go and see you do it. This was at 8:30 am and it was 45 degrees out with no wind.I had on street shoe's jeans and a button up shirt and no helmet.I cut off the jeans and borrowed a thin Tshirt. Man was I cold. No fancy electronic timing just two guys with timers on the wristwatch. I started in the top gear and went real slow for the first 1/2 mile,8-10 mph. At the end of the first mile I was doing 25 mph. At the end of the 6th lap I had almost nothing left. I gave the 7th lap everything that I could find to finish it and it took me just under 30 minutes to finish. Average speed 21 MPH.    67 year old guy in street clothes on a 1987 steel bicycle. He gave me a pair of tickets to Coke 600. I hit 32 mph several times.
Ed
Ed

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 11:54:14 AM »
This ties in CL,RC and biking so here goes. The Hunterville field was closed for six months at the end of last year until this spring for repair to the top cap of the dump that we fly on. Humpy Wheeler president of Lowes Motor Speedway set up a area for RC and CL but it never did work out for CL. Back in January I was at the Lowes site to get some flying lessons on a friends RC glider. I had my Centurion Ironman road bike with me and had been riding it around the parking lots for about 15 minutes when this guy asked me if I had run in the bicycle time trials held there at Lowes. I said no as I was intimidated by the $7000 bikes and the past Tour De France riders that show up. He said he liked my bright pink and yellow bike.Yes I told him it's kind of a joke that a bike named Ironman would have a factory paint job that is pink and yellow. He asked me how fast I could do the 7 laps,10 miles around the speedway. I spoke without thinking and said at least 20 mph.He said I don't believe it and said lets go and see you do it. This was at 8:30 am and it was 45 degrees out with no wind.I had on street shoe's jeans and a button up shirt and no helmet.I cut off the jeans and borrowed a thin Tshirt. Man was I cold. No fancy electronic timing just two guys with timers on the wristwatch. I started in the top gear and went real slow for the first 1/2 mile,8-10 mph. At the end of the first mile I was doing 25 mph. At the end of the 6th lap I had almost nothing left. I gave the 7th lap everything that I could find to finish it and it took me just under 30 minutes to finish. Average speed 21 MPH.    67 year old guy in street clothes on a 1987 steel bicycle. He gave me a pair of tickets to Coke 600. I hit 32 mph several times.
Ed
Ed
Keep er up. My docter said that was probably the reason I never had a heart attack, But the milk shakes prbably helped clog my arteries. That and all those Montana steaks I ate. I concider myself to be lucky when it comes to heath. And biking was a big part of it. I used to tour when it was not the thing to do.

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 05:16:06 PM »
I had my door locked today and an old man with a bicycle showed up! "HEY" he said "could you straghten my crank ?!  :o

SO I straghten his FP-35 crack...good as new!

Thanks for reading  >:D

Scott (back again) Riese

Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 11:48:37 AM »
Leo I thought you would like this picture as it shows my Tempest just before it was finished and a bicycle in the same picture. This is not the Ironman that I road at Lowes but another one I bought the same day I sold the first one. The one I road at Lowes was mint and like new and to big for me.These seldom show up on CL but this one was there as I went to pull my add. I have it striped down for a repaint as a 7/11 Team bike as used in the 1988 Tour DE France.
Ed Ruane

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 02:06:31 PM »
Leo I thought you would like this picture as it shows my Tempest just before it was finished and a bicycle in the same picture. This is not the Ironman that I road at Lowes but another one I bought the same day I sold the first one. The one I road at Lowes was mint and like new and to big for me.These seldom show up on CL but this one was there as I went to pull my add. I have it striped down for a repaint as a 7/11 Team bike as used in the 1988 Tour DE France.
Ed Ruane

The 88 bikes were Ironman bikes?  I know 7-11 used Schwinn and others but I though the 88 bikes were Murry bikes.  There are a few 7-11 and Motorola, (and Saturn and Volvo) team issue bikes running around here in Milwaukee. 

I bought my repair stand and some wheels and other stuff when Motorola closed up shop.  They had a few Meckx in my size, but the bike would have been cheap compared to the divorce. :)  Oh yes my wife does the books for a bike shop of a former Olympic track cyclist.  Got to hold in my hand one of the 84 funny bikes from team persuit.  Very cool

Love to see the bike when it is done

Dave Siegler
Milwaukee
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 09:30:07 PM »
Dave they were not Centurion. I am using a Centurion frame that is of the same vintage and the same equipment on it. Here is a picture of a Serotta that was used in the mid 80's. Some had Campy and other's had 105 equipment. Mine will weigh 18.5 pounds. This is the paint theme I am using. Most of the Centurion Ironman's came with Biopace,this one has 600 & Dura Ace. They never used Schwinn. The decals say Huffy but Serotta was the builder. I had a team Merchx bike but it was around 22 pounds and it needed painting. It was worth to much money as is to anything to it. I sold it to a collector for $1800. If you look close at the poor picture I posted of the Serotta you will see the Centurion is allready equipped the same as the Serotta. That is the one of the reasons I bought it.The Centurion has a much better and lighter moulded crown fork. I may update the shifting to STI if I really like the bike when it's done. It will have less value when I repaint it than it has now.I have a Felt and a Cannondale plus another Centurion so it's the looks I am after. It's like stunt ships,every one wants one that looks cool. I will send you a picture when it is done in about two months.
Ed

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 09:40:36 AM »
Ed Ruane
Ed, I love good road bikes and also good touring bikes. A loaded touring bike is like riding a Cadilac. Mine was a Trek touring and when you put a load on it it is easier to pedel than when it is not  loaded. And I love the open Road and what it has to offer. I will send you picture of my Lemond Bike when get a chance. Keep riding! H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here