News:

• April 24, 2024, 01:04:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A few faces in the crowd at either the 68-69 nats?  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
A few faces in the crowd at either the 68-69 nats?
« on: February 12, 2010, 06:00:42 PM »
Competitiors are the usually the worst photographers during the nationals week. I have so many hohumm slides of the staging areas that never were filed.
Many shots were just taken to see who was in the staging areas with me...however just maybe someone lurking will remember the names and faces in these old 67-68-69 nats photos? :! n~
Don Shultz

Dave Adamisin

Re: A few faces in the crowd at either the 68-69 nats?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:56:06 AM »
The top pic has Big, Dennis, Leroy Gunther, and Rick Sawicki. Rick is the gentleman wwith the white hat.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »
The top pic has Big, Dennis, Leroy Gunther, and Rick Sawicki. Rick is the gentleman wwith the white hat.
I knew that was Art and Dennis...but wasn't sure about Gunny or Rick?
Thanks for keeping the update going about your Dad and we are keeping Art and the rest of you in our prayers, hearts and minds. Good to hear that Art is giving it his all...in his comback recovery.
Don Shultz

Offline Bob Gandy

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:53:10 PM »
I am getting back into the hobby after being out since I was 17 in 1968.  I don't know the gentlemen in the bottom picture, but I know that is Olathe NAS in 1968.  I was there, but too scared to fly. . . . . .

Bob Gandy
Olathe, KS

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 06:27:31 PM »
I am getting back into the hobby after being out since I was 17 in 1968.  I don't know the gentlemen in the bottom picture, but I know that is Olathe NAS in 1968.  I was there, but too scared to fly. . . . . .

Bob Gandy
Olathe, KS

That last shot showing Dick Mathis doin' the pull test boogie...but I don't know the tall young man next to him?
That Kansas summa'time wind fly...was pretty exciting at times, huh?
Don Shultz

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 07:50:52 PM »
I dunno the faces, but the middle picture, with the painted Chiz up front...there's Vornholt's "Torino" at 2 o'clock. What year did he fly that? And that kewl lookin' plane between the two Sharks...haven't you posted pics of that? I wonder about the tall skinny guy in the black cowboy boots...where do you suppose the waterline is inside those? I hate black shoes in Summer...much less cowboy boots.

Schultzie...you remember the summer of '81? I was working 2nd shift at 6-3420...it was a hot dry summer...and it was 99 deg. F at my lathe at 11pm one night. The sweat was running down my back and into my boots, day after day, for weeks. You'da thought they'd shut down the HT oven, huh? Nah...let 'em sweat...  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:17:02 PM »
I dunno the faces, but the middle picture, with the painted Chiz up front...there's Vornholt's "Torino" at 2 o'clock. What year did he fly that? And that kewl lookin' plane between the two Sharks...haven't you posted pics of that? I wonder about the tall skinny guy in the black cowboy boots...where do you suppose the waterline is inside those? I hate black shoes in Summer...much less cowboy boots.

Schultzie...you remember the summer of '81? I was working 2nd shift at 6-3420...it was a hot dry summer...and it was 99 deg. F at my lathe at 11pm one night. The sweat was running down my back and into my boots, day after day, for weeks. You'da thought they'd shut down the HT oven, huh? Nah...let 'em sweat...  LL~ Steve
Yes..
That was the year of the 68 Torino that I heard Jack Sheeks and Jim stayed up day and night  the week before the nats in order to finish the Torino that if you got don on one knee you could actually smell the paint fumes gassing on that 120 degree concrete tarmac staging area.
Vornie was an amazingly gifted stunt flyer and  I truly thought also he put in one of the best patterns of the day. However instead.. the BOTM ruled nailed took him out of the running?
Yes!
3420 roof would heat up and retain heat until the morning sun would peek up over the horizen.
Just to think...all those buildings are no longer standing.
Remember how a bunch of us....would at lunch break...on second shift would walk over and go down into the cavernous underground tunnels under the main building and eat our lunches in those old often  unlocked security meeting rooms that were lined along the the tunnels because theywere always remained cool year round?
I used to practice roller skating with a bunch of my tunnel rat buds...at lunch time down there in those underground tunnels....that ran the full length of Plant 2 from the 16th ave...all the way to the 2-82 bldg. shop?
Rollerskating was a mode of transportation at our SanDiego flutter model trips to Calif. Great fun roller blading the SanDiego board walks.....after hours and into the night. Great little night spot tavens and pubs...along the Beach were always a highlite of our model trips from hell to Diego.

Thanks for the memories of our old old Boeing daze days...huh?

The ceiling pipes were so low that even short guys like me would have to duck to keep from bustin' our brains out.
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:18:48 AM »
Don .. top pic .. I get a kick out of the blue Sig Chipmunk in the front that has the elevator counter balances glued to the stabilizer instead of the elevators.  Wish I had a nickel for every time I've seen that!  Maybe a few guys did it for aero reasons (in their own mind), but most the time it was a plan interpretation mistake.  Doubt the ole Chipmunk knew any difference.

Mike

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 06:21:22 AM »
p.s.  Looks like a white Top Flite nylon prop under the Chipmunk rag.  This would have been Junior class, right?

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 03:26:09 PM »
Yep Mike. I guess it was junior. Dennis has his Typhoon by his side. McCoy 40 with 10x6 EW. A powerfull combination...... Till the jug blows off...

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 10:10:43 AM »
Could it be?????
Looking at this old photo of our beloved James VanLoonieman' with his stylish and profilish' shorts, black socks, n' brown penny loafers from the 69 nats.
Check that young man on the edge of the photo? Amazing how quickly young kids can grow so fast?
Is this the same young man that I posted in Crash photos the other day?
Perhaps...it just might be his younger brother?

last photo...of Jim and Mike, enjoying the moment of success.
Don Shultz

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 10:00:28 AM »
That was the year of the 68 Torino that I heard Jack Sheeks and Jim stayed up day and night  the week before the nats in order to finish the Torino that if you got don on one knee you could actually smell the paint fumes gassing on that 120 degree concrete tarmac staging area.

Heh!  That still happens every year. A few years ago, when Brodak dope first started making inroads, you could stand downwind of the pits at the NATs and that's about all you could smell. Very distinctive, and you certainly don't need to get down next to it to smell it - you just have to walk by. For whatever reason, I haven't noticed it nearly as much recently.

Brett

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 10:16:36 AM »
Brett,
I think more people are using auto clearcoat. That would seal in the dope smell.

Don,
I like the Testors fuel jug next to your "Sting Ray". That fuel was absolutely the best for the Fox .35. I wish that it was still available. Kids like Brett would not know, but I remember paying about $1.50 for a gallon. We were appauled when it went up to $3.00.

Penny loafers were cool. There are people today that have no idea what what a penny loafer is.
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 10:16:42 AM »
    Heh!  That still happens every year. A few years ago, when Brodak dope first started making inroads, you could stand downwind of the pits at the NATs and that's about all you could smell. Very distinctive, and you certainly don't need to get down next to it to smell it - you just have to walk by. For whatever reason, I haven't noticed it nearly as much recently.

Brett

Brett...
WOW! Even after all these years...I too, can remember that smell that hung over the models in the staging areas...AND EVEN WORSE, in those OLD NAVY DAZE DAYS, the smell of dope fumes permeating from both the hanger areas and even worse...folks rebuilding and even finishing their models in the Navy Barracks dorm rooms and bathrooms. :X ~^

Ahh..Old men dream dreams! Z@@ZZZ
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 10:25:48 AM »
Brett,
I think more people are using auto clearcoat. That would seal in the dope smell.

Don,
I like the Testors fuel jug next to your "Sting Ray". That fuel was absolutely the best for the Fox .35. I wish that it was still available. Kids like Brett would not know, but I remember paying about $1.50 for a gallon. We were appauled when it went up to $3.00.

Penny loafers were cool. There are people today that have no idea what what a penny loafer is.
YES! PLUS I WAS TOTALLY ADDICTED TO TESTORS 39 PERFUMED SMELL (BOTH BEFORE AND ESPECIALLY THE EXHAUST FUMES.
NOTE that bottle of FORMULA 39 has a rag looped over the bottle and the tail of my old Ray..to keep it from being blown across the tarmac by the STRONG MIDDAY WIND!
Everyone in the staging areas would doing the same thing  to keep their models from running away.
Ahhh?
Remember the "BEER CAN RACES" (uhh COKE-PEPSI CAN RACES.) we performed in the eve. after the practice rounds were going on?
I think Dave Gierke cheated...his empty aluminum over sized beer can was slightly larger in size than the rest of our empty ones from the Navy Mess hall coolers.
Don Shultz

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 10:31:45 AM »
Brett,

Presumably. Until it bubbles up - the gas has to go somewhere! My guess is that the current formulation smells a lot different from the original. I know it works differently depending on when you got it.

Feh!  The first time I ever bought gas (car gas), $1 just about filled up a 5 gallon gas can. 28¢/gal, as I recall. I seem to remember getting airplane fuel (mixed by pharmacist Lew McFarland himself) for something like $5-6 but I didn't start buy fuel by the gallon until maybe 1975 or so.

The darn kids I work with treat me like the crazy old man in the corner, what with my slide rule and tendency to work on paper all the time.

I dispute the theory that penny loafers were EVER cool. You never see James Bond wearing them.

Brett

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 10:37:32 AM »
Fooey,

I try to post something and Brett beats me there and my post goes into oblivion!

Well, here goes again;  The sixth airplane back in the first picture looks like Mike Thompson's version of the
Van Loo Mystere.  This one:---

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 05:50:30 PM »
Found another old crowd shot..
This might have been from the 67 Calif. nats that I found in my old box of Kodachromes..
Man...those Blue Angels can draw a crowd huh?
Don Shultz

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 12:52:03 PM »
Donaldo:
Here's a couple "bookends" to your pix #1, the 69 NATs Junior line-up:

Pix one would have been taken back at teh hotel pool just a couple hours after your first pix.  Has Leroy Gunther, brother Dave (leg only!) Mark Bambrick, Big Art, & Jim Kostecky.  The UFO in mid-air would be... me.

Pix 2 was a couple days later just after flying the walker cup in the rain.  I believe the Mike Stott and Bob "Champione" versions of this pix have also been posted.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 01:08:49 PM »
I try to post something and Brett beats me there and my post goes into oblivion!

I am pretty sure I didn't cause your post to disappear!  You can just click through the "Warning" if someone else has posted.

Brett

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 05:00:47 PM »
DENNIS...
What a heart-felt couple of photos...huh? Thanks for sharing these with us..Keep those old photos coming.

HEY STUNT GRUNTS...WOULDN'T SHOTS LIKE THESE MAKE A GREAT COLLECTOR ISSUE OF A CLPA COFFEE TABLE BOOK?

Don Shultz

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 06:36:45 PM »
Brett,

That's what I tried to do, but no joy.....Oh well, I got is posted afterward anyway.

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 10:04:12 PM »
And this is the same Mystere in different clothing in 1970 and or 1971.

Jim Pollock  H^^

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 11:01:28 PM »
Jim P:
Do you know if Mike's Mystere was ever published, or whether plans exist?  I believe it ws quite a bit smaller than JVL's original design...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »
Dennis,

It was a Nobler that was constructed to look exactly like a Mystere.  Mike liked the Mystere but only had a regular Nobler kit.  2 + 2 = the Noblestere.  That's what Mike and I called it anyway.  Unfortuantely, Mike never got the urge to publish the thing.  It wouldn't turn corners as well as a regular nobler.  He then built the Gypsy for the '73 Nats.  The reason I know he flew the Gypsy in '73 is that he graduated in June and got a nice yellow and white GMC pickup as a graduation present.  He made a board to fit in the back and attach the Gypsy to so he could take it flying.  The board and the Gypsy went to the 73 Nats in their green/white Suburban though.  Was the 73 Nats in Oshkosh or Philly?
Have any pictures from '73 Dennis?

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 07:20:59 PM »
Just had a discussion with another forum member over the 73 NATS.  It was at Oshkosh by gosh. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 02:58:01 PM »
Could it be?????
Looking at this old photo of our beloved James VanLoonieman' with his stylish and profilish' shorts, black socks, n' brown penny loafers from the 69 nats.
Check that young man on the edge of the photo? Amazing how quickly young kids can grow so fast?
Is this the same young man that I posted in Crash photos the other day?
Perhaps...it just might be his younger brother?

last photo...of Jim and Mike, enjoying the moment of success.

Trivia in photo three with Mike.. If you look at the scoreboard behind them you can see my third place (last name BADLY miss-pelleddd) in Sr. that year. Chief with MaxS.

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 07:07:37 AM »
You mean this guy?  (photo from Arnold Stott collection, which I scanned several years ago).
Mike G.

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 07:11:34 AM »
more from '69 Senior event...

One thing I remember Arnold telling me about Dawn's airplane was that it was really heavy .. 55oz+ .. and flew well with a Fox 35 Stunt.  I surmise it wasn't a stock Fox 35 !?

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 07:56:51 AM »
Another flash back.

October 1970, the GSCB fall contest, was and still is, over 2 weekends. The first weekend was the inaugural OTS contest. The second weekend had regular stunt. I flew one Dawn's airplanes and took 3rd without appearance points. I turned down the trophy because I didn't think that it was right for me to win the award with a borrowed airplane.

That airplane was also heavy with a Fox .35, but it flew very well and was easy to adjust to.

John D'Ottavio always had heavy weights in the 54 to 58 ounce range using Fox .35s. The engines were carefully lapped and broke in, and we played with props and it worked. That is one reason I get a little upset at more recent flyers saying how bad the Fox is. While I appreciate today's power and would not want to go backwards, the old Fox .35 helped to make Stunt what it is today.
AMA 7544

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »
I know the feeling Tom.  When I read remarks about how a Fox 35 powered stunter MUST weigh in the low to mid 40s, I just smile and remember "back when".  But you are also correct .. today's choices are FAR superior.  The "good old days" are nice to think about, but modern is better.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 11:56:57 AM »
Another flash back.

October 1970, the GSCB fall contest, was and still is, over 2 weekends. The first weekend was the inaugural OTS contest. The second weekend had regular stunt. I flew one Dawn's airplanes and took 3rd without appearance points. I turned down the trophy because I didn't think that it was right for me to win the award with a borrowed airplane.

That airplane was also heavy with a Fox .35, but it flew very well and was easy to adjust to.

John D'Ottavio always had heavy weights in the 54 to 58 ounce range using Fox .35s. The engines were carefully lapped and broke in, and we played with props and it worked. That is one reason I get a little upset at more recent flyers saying how bad the Fox is. While I appreciate today's power and would not want to go backwards, the old Fox .35 helped to make Stunt what it is today.

Speaking of FLASH BACKS...n' our John D'Ottavio
Lets go back and revisit www.stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6843.0

Opps..I WASN'T ALLOWED TO VIEW THAT SECTION! Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm? 
Don Shultz

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2010, 10:00:02 AM »
You mean this guy?  (photo from Arnold Stott collection, which I scanned several years ago).
Mike G.
One and the same..... I made the magizine that year in the form of a pic and caption in an report about the Nats. It caught me just after the inverted pullout of the RW..... Had a lot of fun that year... I traveled to the nats with Dan Hay and Gary Arnold in Dan's fastback mustang pulling a pop-up. We set it up and found out that Dr. Stranelove was on tv that night.... So we got a motel room just to watch the movie...... We watched it and went back to the camper. I had a bad first flight so I went back to the camper and relaxed for a while. Talked to Duke Fox and George A. They both helped me get in the mood and I went back and "put one in". I think the Chief is one of the best of that era. Nothing turned better.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here