News:

• May 08, 2024, 03:31:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BIG ART ADAMISIN STUNT ICON OF THE DAY! REVISITED!  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
BIG ART ADAMISIN STUNT ICON OF THE DAY! REVISITED!
« on: February 05, 2007, 11:14:51 AM »
BIG ART ADAMISIN STUNT  ICON for yesterday, today, and into the future.

I met Art for the first time at the 1968 Nats in Olatha...His contributions to stunt flyers and to control line precision aerobatics has put him at the mountain top.

Truly the Guruuuuumeister of stuntdome'do-da-day!

Hey U lurkers.....share some of your BIG ART STORIES & PHOTOS WITH US TODAY!!!

(photo  at the  nats...Art and the late Don Bambrick (at  least I think this flyer is Don)sharing some moments before his upcoming flight.

Although this is a very old post...Thought I would REVISIT "BIG ART" TODAY! After finding the casing of one of his beautiful old OS Max 35's in my engine parts drawer....I thought I would GOOGLE UP ART and found these two great shots of Art...doing his World Cup duty.
Photos by the amazing Claudia Mehnen's wonderful Flickr' photostreams.
Love the hat....BIG DADDY ART
Best wishes to all the ADAMISIN'S CLAN...and may God Bless all the CLPA stunters we rode in on over the years!
Shultzie...1968 I first met Art...and although time flies...2010 and by the Grace of Gid...we're still are havin some fun..
Thanks for the memories.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:32:43 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
Re: BIG ART ADAMISIN STUNT ICON OF THE DAY! REVISITED
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 09:30:59 PM »
You betcha Schultzie - everything you said and much more.  Not only is Art a superior modeler and technical achiever, but I have great admiration and respect for the way he brought up his kids in modeling.  And they weren't just participants - they often dominated their events.

Here is a pic I took of the Dewoitine stunter that Art entered at the 1970 Nats in Glenview, ILL.  I believe that would be Marie all decked out in red, white, and blue sitting by Art's flight box.

Mike Gretz  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:47:45 PM by Shultzie »

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 10:43:53 PM »
You cannot say enough about Art He is truly an Icon in the stunt world. I got to know Art at VSC. He retimed an engine for me after that VSC and I called him up to ask him somthing and he asked me how frank Macy was coming on his Jim Walker project and wanted to know Franks address so he could make a contribution to the project. It don't stop there. The young flyers just love this guy beause he is so supportive. It is definatly a big Thumbs up to a special person and that I can say I    know Big Art.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:48:45 PM by Shultzie »

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: BIG ART ADAMISIN STUNT GRUNT ICON OF THE DAY! REVISITED
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 06:22:55 AM »
Let me kick in a more recent photo, with Art, his Galaxy, and some of his recent muffler work.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:49:10 PM by Shultzie »
Paul Smith

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 08:38:32 AM »
Hey Don THANKS for starting this thread!

Just an FYI: Big Art will be celebrating #80 on April 25.  

Dennis Adamisin
Marshall MI
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:50:00 PM by Shultzie »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: BIG ART ADAMISIN STUNT GRUNT ICON OF THE DAY! REVISITED
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 07:08:26 PM »
Hey Don THANKS for starting this thread!

Just an FYI: Big Art will be celebrating #80 on April 25.  

Dennis Adamisin
Marshall MI
WOW!....MY SINCEREST CONGRATULATIONS TO ART ON HIS 80TH....MY HOW TIME FLIES. Tell Art that I am only 168 years and I only hope that my Arkansas gene pool will allow me to some day to see him in person. He was always so helpful....and just being around him...helped all of us not only be better flyers and competitiors...but more importantly, better human beings.  Sad to say that perhaps in that last dept....I have back-slidden' a tad lately.
Bye the way.....years ago I remember Art and I talking about V tail stunters. I built and almost finished a Novi 4 with a V tail. But time restraints and working so many overtime hours at the Boeing Wind tunnel in the flutter model shops...and phantom works.  I had a chance to pass that airplane onto someone...(who unfortunately chicken out and recut the stab and added a vertical fin! THAT REALLY DISAPOINTED ME! I really wanted to experience V tail stunters like you guys...did with outstanding success.

Some time when you  get around to it...tell me about the V tails...the Adamisin brothers in Balsa, stories dealing with V tailed concepts?
(exiled badboy don in Gig haaaba Wa.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:50:27 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: BIG ART ADAMISIN STUNT ICON OF THE DAY! "REVISITED"
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 08:23:09 AM »
Shultzie and Dennis,

All I can say is that everytime I have been around Big Art I have learned something, and left with my sides hurting!  Art and his lovely wife showed up at Huntersville a few years ago.  I had only seen him at the NATS and Brodak's.  I turned around and there was Art!  I was shocked, but oh so happy to see him.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Big Art, and many many more!

Bill <><
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:51:03 PM by Shultzie »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: BIG ART ADAMISIN STUNT ICON OF THE DAY! REVISITED!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »
Although its been a "VERY LONG RIDE" since we gave our BIG ART some stunt grunt of the day...razz n' maaatazzzz!
I was thinking of Art and thought we would revisit the ADAMISIN CLAN AGAIN THIS EVE.

Hey Dennis!!!
Any chance of giving us some inside info on our BIG DADDY OF MODELIN' and what he's doin' for fun and games?
Check out this all too brief Bio that shows just a sketch of this amazingly gifted model makin master.
www.stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=1762.0
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:43:57 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 03:32:29 PM »
I will have to chime in here,  I didn't know Big Art until I started going to Brodaks, for me he was one of the greats you just didn't ever meet.   After meeting him the first time I felt we had been friends for years and I look forward to visiting with him this year........I wish him the very best on his birthday!!!!

Dalton H.
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »
Somewhere in a box, I have pics from 1965 in Mt. Vernon, Ohio. It was my Dads first stunt contest. He flew a Dolphin and took pics and 8mm film. Some Adamisin's were there. A yellow- ish Noble/Tbird variant is my guess. Archie at the controls. I mentioned what I had to Art years later and sent him a video of all Dads 8mm clips put to 1960's pop radio tunes.

I remember watching the film on our projector and being so jealous of those kids at the contest with their Dad. I was just a wee shaver. My Dad has always been one of my heroes as I am sure yours is to you. At Brodaks a few years ago when your Dad was entered into the AMA Hall of Fame I believe Dave Brown called you the "First Family of Stunt". A more accurate phrase could not be found. It was moving. Your ole Man is something else and you guys are to be commended for your contributions to modeling of all disciplines as well! H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^

Now I gotta go dig in the box...dang it!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 06:35:16 PM »
After seeing a few of those old Russian CLPA stunt models with those amazing  in line  body mounted landing gears (ala' B-47...B-52 with the  wing tip  skids (or teenie wheels) I was BLOWN AWAY when I noticed BIG ART'S beautiful 68 & 69 entries. That amazingly detailed Hustler..and then that fancy pearl paint job on his 69 MACH NA that was truly an exceptional job of re engineering
Seems that I remember that AL Rabe mentioned that he was impressed with that complicated molded fuselage construction that stunt flyers in those days....that few stunt model builders were used to seeing or building. (The dawn of exotic graphite cloth was just beginning at our Boeing Wind tunnel PhantomWorks..and was virtually impossible to obtain on the open market.

Most of us...HAD NO IDEA what an IMPACT leap forward this form off construction would have in the future of CLPA model building.
Dave and Dennis...Arch? or even BIG ART..when he's feelin up to it would be great to hear more information and stories about these two beautifully crafted and unique CLPA models that really seem to capture the interest the NAVY bunch as well as that gathering crowd of spectators every time when he would bring  those models out in the staging areas.

Dennis-Dave...
Give my best to Mista-BIG and may the Great and Good Lord take a liking to the Art and the Adamisin Clan...
He frightened the  VD~ VD~ in a handbasket out of all of us.
Don Shultz

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 10:49:48 PM »
I first met Big Art about 20 years ago at one of the early Vintage Stunt Championships. At night, we sat around the pool at the Roadway Inn and talked airplanes. Early on, he seemed like an old friend.

Big Art had entered both Old time and Classic, and was having some problems with one of his reworked OS .35S engines. It wouldn't give a good stunt run. One afternoon he had the problem OS disassembled and sitting in front of him out at the flying field. I asked him what was wrong with the engine, and Art got a sad look on his face and said " I don't know, I'm supposed to know everything about these engines, but I don't know what's wrong with this one!" (This was like hearing Noah say that he didn't know how to build boats!) Big Art has been a respected and well known engine Guru for many years. You had to have been there to understand how funny this really was.

I think the problem was either a bad piston and cylinder assembly, too little nitro, or both! Tucson is about 2000 feet or so above sea level, and sometimes engines that run fine at home don't like to run at the VSC.

I sure hope that Big Art recovers from his stroke.

What a wonderful man!

De Hill

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 12:06:27 PM »
One story I have never heard -- how did Big Art get his nickname?

Larry Fulwider

Offline tom_weedman

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 08:45:36 PM »
I love the MACH NA great looking jet model was there ever plans made I would love to have A set
 TOM WEEDMAN
AMA 63672

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 07:18:19 AM »
First off THANKS to all for your comments about dad.  Schultzie's photo library is a real treasure trove isn't it?

Larry: back at 1966 NATs dad became fast friends (imagine that?) with a Texan named Stan Brock.  Stan called him "Big Heart" - not much of a stretch from there to here.

Tom: The Machs Na plan was a butcher paper plan (stashed away somewhere), the wing was the first of the fully sheeted "sparless" wings that we built for the next seveal years.  Dad hated dirtying up wings with landing gear and fuselage taildraggers did not look 'jetty".  Remember this was also in the era of Originality points - the bicycle gear rated strong there too. 

Dad's recovery from the stroke is progressing nicely.  The worst of the residuals is control of his left arm - although his let hand seems fine.  He is undergoing regular PT, I told him he shoud head for the workshop and grab a sanding blcok - THAT kind of PT would help too! 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here