News:

• April 23, 2024, 12:31:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1963 8mm Film of my dad flying control line  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Chad Hossack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
1963 8mm Film of my dad flying control line
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:27:35 AM »
My neighbor stopped in the other day, and offered to lend a few rolls of 8mm film to me his late wife took in the early 60`s.

Besides having my great grand parents, grandparents, dad, mother, and brother as a baby on them, one clip has my dad and our neighbor/friend flying control line in the winter of 1963.

The quality of the film is poor, but in it you can see my dad flying a yellow 54 inch span Sterling J-3 Cub powered by a Forster 29. And then our neighbor Lee Jerome flying his red Veco Brave powered by a OS Max 35.

Another neighbor who walked over to watch is filmed in a gray trench coat.

Finally my dad is seen flipping a 049 Firebaby while Lee is holding.

My dad still has this plane and engine, and I have the Jim Walker U-Reely seen with Lee's Brave on a shelf above my modeling bench.

While I mainly fly RC in our small club here on our family farm (dozen members), this film has gotten 3 of our members excited to try a change of pace and do a little circle time this season. I am ordering a set of Gieseke Bear plans from Ultra Hobby, and a partial Cobra laser kit from Brodak today. I still have not made up my mind as what to build. I have a OS 48 Surpass I could use with a carb conversion for the Cobra, but would pick up a new engine and pipe if I decide on the Bear.

Anyways, kind of excited to try my hand at control line after over 20 years again and show my son what it is all about..........take care........Chad

Offline Joe Mig

• Lieutenant
Re: 1963 8mm Film of my dad flying control line
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:10:56 PM »
Great old 8 MM film but my eye's hurt now.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: 1963 8mm Film of my dad flying control line
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:06:08 PM »
Great to see you over here Chad. Some really fine people here with lots of info. You will be euphoric after that first flight in 20 years. I started flying controline again 18 years ago, after not flying a C/L model for 30 some years. I built a Ringmaster, put a Fox 35 on it, and went out to fly. What a rush. Been hooked ever since.
Jim Kraft

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here