News:

• April 23, 2024, 06:32:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "RAPID RICHARD" WHITCOMB Gifted modeler- Aerodynamic Engineering has passed.  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
On the Aviation Web ring this morning...I hear that RICHARD "Dick" WHITCOMB HAS PASSED...

My Boeing Wind tunnel friend....the late James Crowder introduced me to Dick Whitcomb in the late 70's when I was assigned to a Phantom Works model project study on "super critical wings" that was to take place in the Supersonic wind tunnel.

Jim Crowder...knowing that I was pretty involved with competition model airplanes...and knowing that his fellow NAA- Colliers throphy winnng friend was also...in his earlier life heavily involved in model airplane design and building was on site that night.

How fortunate for me that I was introduced to his fellow aero-engineering partner late that evening around 11:30 PM...locked away  in that basement workshop just outside the SST chamber room while...trying our damnest' to make an early morning test scheduled run.

I didn't have a clue then that Jim's friend was the aerodynamical wizard "Rapid Richard" Whitcomb who was noted for his UNCANNY ABILITY "TO SEE AIR!!!"
I then later....I heard and saw many photos and stories about Dick from Joe Clark and Bernie Gratzer of Aviation Partners...who worked with Dick on a blended wing project with a Boeing Airplane as shown below

Here is a photo showing Dick with one of his models...
Heaven has gained a MASTER ANGEL who mere mortals actually thought that Richard could actually "SEE AIR!"
My deepest condolences to his family, his friends and fellow peers all over the world.
He truly made our world of flight...a better place.
 His contributions to Flight are many.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/people/features/richard_whitecomb.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:45:52 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Super-critical airfoils, GAW airfoils for light aircraft, Area Ruling, & "Whicomb Winglets"  Pretty impressive resume, a real giant in the field. 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
Super-critical airfoils, GAW airfoils for light aircraft, Area Ruling, & "Whicomb Winglets"  Pretty impressive resume, a real giant in the field. 

Al Bowers posted his passing this week on another forum I frequent, and we should have passed it on. Thanks.

I remember also one of Al's posts a couple years ago, citing a time when RW was quite young and new to NACA (that early, I think). Reacting, probably to his "area rule" proposal, the great Alexander Lippisch is quoted as proclaiming, "Gentlemen, a genius!"

There aren't too many pioneers with Richard Whitcomb's stature in the field...perhaps R.T. Jones, Max Munk, Ludwig Prandtl, Theo von Karman,...? I know I left out someone, but I doubt that any of them outshine Whitcomb's accomplishments. We just keep losing these mighty talents. I hope that enough remember them, although certainly for now, their accomplishments continue to live on in the air, and not just as flights of fancy. I see these guys as real heroes, at least for me.

SK

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
And Jim Crowder let the rest of us see the air.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral

I remember also one of Al's posts a couple years ago, citing a time when RW was quite young and new to NACA (that early, I think). Reacting, probably to his "area rule" proposal, the great Alexander Lippisch is quoted as proclaiming, "Gentlemen, a genius!"

Hmmm.  Lippisch was the major proponent of the Delta wing, the delta wing F-102A was Whitcomb's "proof of concept" for area ruling...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
Hmmm.  Lippisch was the major proponent of the Delta wing, the delta wing F-102A was Whitcomb's "proof of concept" for area ruling...

Yes, that's why I think it was that particular proposal. I'm in Grand Rapids now, away from my computer and files, so what follows is from old memory. They went from blunt l.e. on the DM-1 to sharp l.e.'s to generate vortices and then, as I recall, couldn't push the new F-102 supersonic. I do think that the sharp l.e.'s were Lippisch's idea, since I have an anonymous research memorandum of sorts recovered from Germany that proposes this and has his style all over it. But I don't think he was able to develop the idea further until the DM-1 was in allied hands. Then R.W. solved the final big problem with the narrower waist at the wing high point.

SK

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Grand Rapids?  Heck Serge you're about 99 miles NW of Marshall!

Last night on PBS they had a show called "Warbirds" (never saw it before) and when covering the early jet age - they got into the F-102, the initial speed problems, and named Whitcomb and the Area Rule concept that enabled the F-102A to finally achieve its projected M=1.2  speed... 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
Yep- 'just drove back across I-96 toward Cleveberg today.

I checked my bibliography and appendices, but didn't find any Lippisch consultant work listed past the XF-92. He had moved on to other things ('Aerodynes' and such) by that time. So he must have been present when RW read his area-rule paper, since I'm pretty confident of Al's story.

By the way, wife Gusti's aunt Nel was Wyn Schuler's grade school teacher (That's an inside story for Marshall residents). One of these days, I'd like to do something besides just drive through Michigan. I graduated from Oakland U, taught in Clarkston and Flint, and spent lots of time with the in-lws in A^2, but now that I am retired, I can't seem to do much but run from one place to another. 'gotta change that.

SK

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here