News:

• May 10, 2024, 06:37:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yet another T-Rex taking shape  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Yet another T-Rex taking shape
« on: February 03, 2010, 07:54:23 AM »
This is my T-Rex ARC almost ready to start the finish. Going to paint the fuselage with Nelson paint and cover the wings with Ultracote. Trying something different on the fuselage, instead of my normal carbon fiber put on with dope I'm going to use fiberglass put on using Nelson paint. I did the cowl with fiberglass/finishing resin but believe Nelson clear will work just as well and be a bit easier to sand. What I'm not comfortable with is using a water based product directly on balsa so might put down a coat of thinned finish resin first. Also will try using Nelson clear mixed with zinc stearate for a filler. If this works like I hope it just may be the end of my dope usage.

Mods to the basic kit were first installing a Saito 56 Golden Knight on it's side. Didn't use the extra 1/4 inch firewall, instead I used a 1/8 ply copy to locate the holes and put the blind nuts in the existing firewall. This allowed me to move the engine back about 1/4 inch. Rather than cut the nose off I'll make an aluminum spacer to put between the prop and engine drive washer, the Saito 56 shaft is plenty long enough. Had to go in through the top to get the top blind nuts in but feel it was worth it.

Discovered the tank floor is a full 1/4 inch thick plywood piece with a plywood support going all the way to the top of the fuselage. Felt this was a bit overkill so while I had access used a Forster bit to cut through 1/2 (about 1/8 inch) the plywood tank floor and remove a little more weight. Had to add 2 1/2 ounces of tail weight to the ARF I built for a friend with a Saito 62 and am hoping I can save a little of that extra weight.

Didn't care for the canopy so removed it and will use a copy of the one that came with the Sterling Skylark. It's a WW2 canopy that's a bit shorter and I think it looks better. Moved the fin back and added an adjustable rudder, glued in and sealed the right rear access hatch, using Tom Morris hardware and only need access from one side. Adding a tailweight box finished off all the fuselage mods.

I installed shear webs in the wing trailing edge and the first bay at the spar, this really stiffened up the wing. Sanded 1/16 off the flaps using the rod method and sheeted both sides with 1/32 balsa. Used 1/32 plywood over the control horn locations and heated the control horn to take the temper out in case I need to tweak the flaps. Also sheeted the elevators with 1/32 balsa. This made both the flaps and elevators dead straight and plenty stiff.

Now final sanding and the hard part starts...

Forgot, also added another piece of plywood on the inside of the fuselage under the tail wheel with a couple blind nuts for a removable tail wheel. Saw this on the first Legacy I built and liked it so much I do it on every stunt ship I build.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Yet another T-Rex taking shape
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:08:59 AM »
Wow!  You should be done with that one in no time!  Looks awesome so far!
Steve

Willis Swindell

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 02:40:48 PM »
Bob
I wish I had put the smaller canopy on my T-Rex. I had the canopy and got lazy. I’m sorry now.  Looks great.
Willis

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:04:24 PM »
Bob...Looks great and totally agree on covering the flaps and elevator as you did yours.I did the shear webs and the first 2 bays of the leading edge reinforcement on my arc but had fun getting the flaps straight with the covering on them.Looking foreward to your saito 62 flights .Git er done.....Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 08:26:47 PM »
Looks really good Bob. I think you made all the right moves. If I do another I think I will try my Saito 56. Keep on keeping on......Grins
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 06:37:41 PM »
Bob- HAD you cut the nose and relocated the firewall to reduce tail weight, how far back would it require with a Saito or a large 2 stroke?
Too much work (to save a couple ozs.) or not worth the effort? (flight perf.)
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 01:38:50 AM »
You said it, Too much work to save a few ounces on an already built fuselage. There is a way to figure exactly how much it would take but too many variables in wood and finish for me to be exact. I would estimate on Tom's it should have been about an inch. On this one 3/4 would probably get it because of the added weight of the sheeted flaps, elevators and removable tail wheel.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 07:49:10 AM »

Nice Work Bob!  These mods will certaingly make your ship fly better and give you extra points.

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 07:02:04 AM »
Discovered the tank floor is a full 1/4 inch thick plywood piece with a plywood support going all the way to the top of the fuselage. Felt this was a bit overkill

n1

Its not...

In fact, I am looking to add more beef to the nose on the next run.

I do NOT recommend anyone Swiss cheesing the nose.  Especially with electric...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 09:04:42 AM »
n1

Its not...

In fact, I am looking to add more beef to the nose on the next run.

I do NOT recommend anyone Swiss cheesing the nose.  Especially with electric...

Only reason I felt it was overkill is everything else I've built had a 1/8 ply tank floor that was swiss cheesed and they have held up just fine. Same construction, 1/8 ply doublers, 1/4 ply firewall with F2 also being 1/8 ply. Two of them are close to the same fuselage width, the Score and my kit bashed SIG Somethin'Extra. I'm no designer and was just expressing an opinion based on other peoples designs. I could be wrong but hope not as my Latency is built the same way and I plan on putting a bunch of time on it this summer.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here