News:

• May 08, 2024, 09:56:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UHP Gieseke Nobler  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
UHP Gieseke Nobler
« on: June 19, 2008, 03:19:11 AM »
I know Steve has sold a bunch of these. Has anyone actually built (assembled) one and flown it?

Results? Recommendations? Modifications? Weight? Engine choice?

Ralph

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: UHP Gieseke Nobler
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 12:11:03 PM »
As soon as the shop is finished, maybe.  Looked at the parts and it looks great.  A lot better than I can/could ever do.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 06:34:22 PM »
For those who have not been fortunate to see one of steve Moons new offering it is a treat. First off is the presence of real maple mounts, a front end that will actually stay together and an open construction that makes it so easy to drop the tank in from the front in a hassle free manner.  the cowl is fibreglass and will fit flush with the bottom, not like those ugly T/F cowls. Controls are Tom Morris type with differential horn cranks. Control is not 1:1 though but I don't think that it is very problimatical as my Noblers don't have it either.they consisit of Morris type bellcrank, c/f pushrods, very nice fitting for the rods and Rocket city type ball links, very meaty and have a very good fit to them. Construction is conventional and the wood is very good, most glue joints that I saw were done well, but the glue type is unknown. It is not however, hot glue, as many think that all arf's use it.
I'll be starting mine as soon as the current project gets off the bench. Power will be a Brodak 40 and I'll paint directly over the SLC covering. Oh did I mention that the thing is reasonably light and straight and the wing has weight box and adjustable L/O and the covering on all surfaces was well applied and had no wrinkles anywhere when the box was opened.
I would say that we are looking at a 2nd generation arf. Your inputs are apparently being listened to and changes are being made for the better.
Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:53:51 AM »
Dennis,
Just a comment and not trying to start the old BOM war, but I thought that "officially" you had to cover the plane for appearance points, not just paint it  n~. Could be wrong, or even you might not care.....

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:38:54 AM »
Most places are dropping appearace points from what I see on contest flyers.  Some are having pilots choice or concours awards.  Besides I think I can make up the few points I might get.  Just need to concentrate more on having fun.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 10:25:21 AM »
Dennis,
Just a comment and not trying to start the old BOM war, but I thought that "officially" you had to cover the plane for appearance points, not just paint it  n~. Could be wrong, or even you might not care.....

Alan,
Not a problem to me as I have no desire to ever enter a contest at this point of my life.I like the opportunity to try the new toys as they become available without having to ever worry about it's eligibility in any meet.
But I will say this and don't hang me for it, The wind does seem to be shifting with the exception of the nats or other national meets BOM is gradually being relaxed. whether this is a good thing or not is not a concern to me but I do find it interesting.
Dennis

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 07:40:41 AM »
Just look at some of the contests that are run around the world in other countries using the FAI rules.  A lot of great looking planes out there.  There are those that can build,  those that can finish, those that can design and finally those that can do all three.  Me, I just get by.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 01:42:06 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments guys, that's what really makes
this endeavor worthwhile. These things are flying off the shelf,
I only have about 30 left. I'm really looking forward to seeing
some pics of completed ships. Let's see what y'all got out there!

Steve

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 05:28:21 AM »
Anyone have their GN flying yet? I just unpacked mine in anticipation of getting it started. I'm planning to apply silkspan over the SLC. Upon close inspection I found a few areas ( limited to the flaps and a few locations on the wing) where SLC covering either has trapped air bubble or small  wrinkles or has lifted from the wood-  has anyone else encountered this? I will need to reseal- but have not worked with SLC covering before-is it easier if  I use a hot air gun with a cloth to apply pressure or use the sealing iron? How much heat does SLC need?

Have not decided on engine yet- first choice is B40 - alternate is my great running ceramic P&L Fox35 currently installed in my Smoothie or the new EVO36 ( not yet broken in)
Lyle
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »
I have an unopened, boxed component UHP Gieseke Nobler for sale. PM me if interested or look in the classifieds.

Chris...

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 03:30:23 PM »
  Where does it balance???
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 05:26:02 PM »
I just checked the full size plan which came from my unbuilt Top Flight GN kit - CG shows as 12 inch back from the fwd edge of the nose ring. That is also 3'' back from the LE- where the F-9 plywood former / LG mounting bulkead is located.
Lyle
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 09:21:10 AM »
      Thanks Lyle, I didn't see it in the instructions with the component kit.
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Rod Claus

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 04:51:53 PM »
I am at the point of making the flap/elevator pushrod.I notice that there is no provision for an adjustable elevator.
How are the rest of you folks handling this or is there something I'm not seeing.
Thanks
Rod Claus
Kent,Wash.

Offline Mark Allen

• Ensign
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 05:03:16 PM »
I don't have mine flying yet, but I've got it all together.  Went together very nicely.  I decided to try covering the SLC that is on the plane with silkspan using Minwax Polycrylic thinned with isopropyl alcohol.  Same technique Brad Walker described for applying silkspan over SLC in his T-Rex CLW article and I believe here on one of the threads.  I was really happy with how it turned out especially after applying clear dope over it this last weekend.  Have to admit to having been a bit nervous about applying the dope over all this since I've never used this finishing method before.  Turned out the worry wasn't warranted.  After this one, I'm very eager to get some SLC and use this method one some other projects as well.

Now I just need to get the colors and final clear coats on it, go break in the engine - Saito 30 and go have some fun with it.

Mark

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here