Building Tips and technical articles. > ARF'S

wing twist

<< < (2/2)

Electric George:
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Dan - This gives me hope that I can salvage something flyable.

Ken - It's a hard truth you impart but message received. I need to check it over some more but the last check shows that one tip is around 1 degree negative and the other at 1 degree positive. The LE and TE looks straight to the eye when the TE is flat on the bench, the outboard tip is about 1/16th raised in the last couple of rib bays. I need to spend some more time checking and a bit more time with the iron although first attempt has not yielded any results. It does look like your description of a twist though. 

Howard - Thanks for taking time out from the Christmas Lights to provide your advice. I bet there's science behind those lights as well! Have fun!

Air Ministry - Congratulations on your wing recovery. It sounds like it was a magnificent effort on your part. Good to know that, if needs must, just how one can get pretty mean with the thing to sort it out.

It's great to have a range of replies and suggestions. I shall do some more measuring and after a suitable period of mourning I will set about sorting the wing. As it is not yet attached to the fuselage, things may be a bit easier. I may go the whole hog and cut some covering off and steam or wet the wood, as Ken suggested, and see how things go.

Thanks again all.

Ken Culbertson:
George, you may want to consider another approach which is either great or a complete brain fart.  if it is what I think it is, your center planking was put on with the wing not solid in a jig (don't ask how I know that).  If this is the case you are going to have one hell of a time ever getting that wing straight.  Since it is not mounted, consider taking the covering off out to 1 rib past the center and remove the center planking behind the LE Sheeting, get the twist out and re-plank it.  Or wet it down and see if it will reshape.  Recover and you have a natural place for trim lines.

Plan "C" would be to completely recover the wing and get the twist out while it is uncovered using steam and profanity.  If it is wet, you can reshape just about anything.

At this point nothing is too "off the wall" to try.  Every one of the tips you got here and on other threads came from somebody a long time ago trying something new out of frustration...that worked!

Ken

Electric George:

--- Quote from: Ken Culbertson on December 11, 2023, 07:22:52 AM ---George, you may want to consider another approach which is either great or a complete brain fart.  if it is what I think it is, your center planking was put on with the wing not solid in a jig (don't ask how I know that).  If this is the case you are going to have one hell of a time ever getting that wing straight.  Since it is not mounted, consider taking the covering off out to 1 rib past the center and remove the center planking behind the LE Sheeting, get the twist out and re-plank it.  Or wet it down and see if it will reshape.  Recover and you have a natural place for trim lines.

Plan "C" would be to completely recover the wing and get the twist out while it is uncovered using steam and profanity.  If it is wet, you can reshape just about anything.

At this point nothing is too "off the wall" to try.  Every one of the tips you got here and on other threads came from somebody a long time ago trying something new out of frustration...that worked!

Ken

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Ken,
Great to add extra methods to the arsenal, although the only one I anticipate having any expertise in is the Profanity!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version