News:

• May 10, 2024, 03:47:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When is a ARF no longer an ARF?  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
When is a ARF no longer an ARF?
« on: February 27, 2009, 10:33:46 AM »
 Delete H^^

This is me just having fun. AP^
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 03:17:38 PM by rootbeard »
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
Re: When is a ARF no longer an ARF?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:09:50 AM »
Well the rules seem to suggest that if it was ever an ARF it's always an ARF.  What doesn't really add up is that an ARF becomes an ARC the second you rip off all the film, but apparently, to the letter of the rules, it's still an ARF.  The rule book doesn't allow any provision that allows for recycling ARF parts.  Is it any different to build a new plane around a recycled ARF wing, or a salvaged wing from another flier's crashed plane, or to buy a completed wing that was made in China for an ARC?  Common sense says it's all the same, but the rules don't address it and since one of those assemblies was "pre-covered in the box", it's apparently still an ARF.  The rules don't allow from ARF regression, as far as I can tell.  I asked the same question a year or two back when I built a Nobler using about a third of the original ARF kit.  I looked through all the AMA rules for C/L events a few times looking for the exact verbage, and never did find it.  It's under General Regulations. 

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/events/GeneralRegulations.pdf

6. Builder of Model: The CD shall make every reasonable effort to assure himself that each flier has completely “constructed‟ the model(s) he uses in competition, including the covering where used, with “constructed” to be interpreted as the action required to complete a model starting with no more prefabrication than the amount used in the average kit (“average kit” is interpreted by Control Line Aerobatics as a model that may consist of precut, unassembled parts or assembled (uncovered) subcomponents such as wings, horizontal and vertical stab, fuselage; requiring a few hours of assembly time and covering). Models which are completely prefabricated (“completely prefabricated” is interpreted as the model is ready to fly out of the box or in a few minutes (less than an hour) of assembly time.) and require only a few minutes (less than an hour) of unskilled effort for their completion shall be excluded from competition. (Control Aerobatics additionally interprets that any model, that is pre-covered in the box is excluded from competition). In the case of rubber-powered models (excluding Indoor duration models), commercially available balsa, plastic, and hardwood propellers may be used. Materials and design may be obtained from any source, including kits. The builder-of-the-model rule applies to every AMA event unless specifically noted otherwise in the rules governing that event.

Offline james dean

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
  • Rebel with a cause AMA 467575
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 11:51:39 AM »
Lets see, when is an ARF not an ARF?  You could get super analytical and start down the road of assigning percentages of prefabrication values to each part (or system) of the plane in question like: is it an ARC or ARF, how much of the original did you have to replace or upgrade?  Did someone just hand you the plane already assembled and preflighted/trimmed? 

Here's my take on when an ARF is really an ARF.  Drum roll please! 

As the level of prefabrication increases, the level of ARFedness also increases by a factor of undetermined/ambiguous numbers so as to result in a condition of building atrophy with attendant flacidness of the artistic/creative cogent.

Treatment indications are as follows:  begin treatment by clearing out that work shop/area. Follow this with acquisition of inspirational airplane plans that stimulate the creative juice centers of the brain.  Make a large order of balsawood from your building buddies favorite supplier.  Etc. Etc.....

Seek the supportive company of the builders/designers in your locale for the remainder of your recovery. LL~ LL~ LL~ n~ S?P

Should the presence of those unneeded ARFs that you have hanging around the shop space/livingroom now bother you or cause flashbacks, just remove them immediately and give them to some deserving beginner.

This transitional process should run about one complete season of building and flying of your new "hand built by you" creation to achieve effective transition to your new status as builder/flier. 

For additional resources please refer to your nearest "metal" health professional. LL~ HB~>

I hope my attempt at some humor did not offend. :o

My philosophy of ARFs?   The satisfaction of building as much of the plane as is reasonable and cost effective.  (and that time, talent, resources, and space allow) Theres something about picking up the handle, connected to the lines, on the plane that I built (all)  that just gives a satisfaction that goes beyond mere words.

Whats an ARF to you?  It should be a self determined factor at the personal level at least to start with. IMHO
I should think that with all the examination about the argument attending to the BOM rule would have sufficiently brought enough thought to bear on this subject.

I wish you peace in your effort to reach enlightenment on your quest to know the essence of the ARF.  May the farce be with you! LL~ LL~ LL~   HB~> HB~> HB~>

Now back to our regularly scheduled programing............

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 01:12:45 PM »
Now that is too darn funny!!! LL~ LL~

Not that I would ever try and get BOM in a contest. This is just one of those things that make you say hmmmm. D>K
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 03:56:12 PM by rootbeard »
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 02:53:42 PM »
There is an old saying "if ya gotta ask the price you probably cant afford it"

as far as the ARF/did i build it question. its allways seemed to be a very simple question for me to answer,

if ya gotta ask someone else's opinion if you built it, you probably didn't.

if you really feel you built it and are willing to state as such, then fine.

However, if someone feels the need to ask others what part of the process constituted building it and what part constitutes prebuilt. then you probably didn't build it and are just looking for therapeutic support.

so I suppose I am in the same general mindset as Robert. I dont really care if flyers build or buy.

the rules are there. answer the question, did i build it? honorably and  honestly and go fly your airplane (with or without the points)

Thats all i would ask as a CD, or of a CD. I'm, nor is anyone I know going to convene a jury and request evidece before giving my findings on any BOM cases.
So please dont ask the question to someone else and then complain about the answer. or worse yet. refuse to answer the question to even yourself, and ask for the rules to be rescended.

I realize you are talking more about sport flying so the point issue is not part of the question,but I think the question is the same either way.

If someone feels that it was just little bitty pieces before they rebuilt it thats fine with me. but as soon as the word "rebuilt" is used i think the question has allready been answered

Dave jr.

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »
In my opinion, the rule book indicates that an ARF is always an ARF.  If someone asks me if I built my Nobler, or which kit I built it from, I cringe a bit and tell them it's an ARF because that's how it started.  But the reality is that if there was a laser cut Nobler kit available for $50 (what I paid for a scratch and dent ARF Nobler) I would have bought and built that instead.  Honestly building a laser cut kit is much, much, much, easier and faster then undoing all the ARF nonsense, and redoing it to be a viable competitive plane.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 06:10:49 PM »
If you buy it uncovered in a box, it meets the rulebook definition---as long as it takes you more than 5 minutes to put together. If you can cover it in 5 minutes, then you are a real expert in covering!

Why people keep beating this dead horse is beyond me. It is like picking at a scab.  n1

There are more useful things to discuss---like the merits of a Fox35 vs a modern engine! #^

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 03:46:30 PM »
Boy did this thread is going in the wrong direction.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 07:02:20 AM by rootbeard »
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:45:51 PM »
If you pull the covering off, you make it legal. Sound to me as tho Section 6 refers to amount of work needed to complete the plane, not the history of the components. When the wings, fuse etc. are in an uncovered state, no matter how they got there, you've got a legit starting point to satisfy BOM. IMHO, Stripped ARF or ARC, equally hard (easy) to complete. If your CD agrees with this interpretation, a silkspanned UH Gieseke Nobler, even when silkspanned over the plastic film, should qualify as a BOM plane. Similar construction difficulty.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:09:00 PM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 07:45:35 PM »
According to the AMA at the NATS, an ARF ceases to be an ARF when you decover it.  It then becomes an ARC and is elible for appearance points.  It has already been done and accepted.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 12:14:35 PM »
It becomes an ARC after you take the time to remove that cheap covering and sell the plane to someone else.  After the umpteenth rebuild of an ARF in which the last time I took it down to bare wood all over and cut the top off so I could reinforce it I told the CD that it started life as an ARF.   I didn't want to be late for the corn beef and cabbage dinner that evening. 

But, why worry over 10 points at my level of flying.  As Windy stated in an article he wrote about an ARF, "It is a plane I can take out when the conditions are not all that great for flying your number one bird".  Until someone really comes up with a proposal to correct the situation it should be put to sleep.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here