Building Tips and technical articles. > ARF'S

What would have happened in flight?

<< < (2/2)

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: Tim Wescott on December 21, 2021, 08:10:37 PM ---ARFs and control systems don't seem to go well together -- I had a Top Flight Nobler give up on me in flight because the controls bound up, and I remember being Not Amused by the controls in the one ARF Fright Streak that I owned.

--- End quote ---
So true.  I nearly lost an ARF Nobler when the leadouts, poorly crimped, caught on the bellcrank floor on the 1st flight.  I cannot understand why the makers of these things don't put in better controls.  Especially Brodak.

Ken

Dave Hull:
More Vectors, Victor!

The crimp sleeves were not suitable:
--Appeared to be nickel-plated brass, but not annealed. Too hard and too brittle
--The ID was too large, meaning that they had to deform the sleeves too far, which caused the sleeves to crack. (Both of mine were cracked.)
--The wall was too thin, meaning that after they were crimped, they didn't have the ability to resist opening up, which would allow slipping.
--They were too short

Other than that, they were perfect in every way.

Tim Wescott:

--- Quote from: Ty Marcucci on May 23, 2022, 12:00:26 PM ---If we ever have to actually go to war with China, let's hope all their military crap  is just that, crap. Many items coming out of there are terrible as to quality and seldom last. D>K

--- End quote ---

I've read articles recently (in The Economist, I think) that corruption is rife in the Chinese military, and their state of readiness is crap.  Basically, people are buying their way into the military because it's such a good way to get rich: that's not going to happen in a military that's actually serving (as, I'm sure, many of you can attest).

Add to that the fact that China is organized so that the military is independent of civilian control, so the civilian state can't rein them in -- if they tried, there'd just be a coup, and then the generals would be running the place.

Or -- it's all just wishful thinking and they can crush us.  But I suspect that any place where people can't speak up and be heard is a place where @$#% is going to happen, sooner or later.

peabody:
First generation Brodak ARFs and ARCs had @#$% poor leadouts...the crimps were an issue. ALL crimps should be addressed...
ARCs are easy. ARFs require surgery on a panel.
We have found that warm epoxy drizzled / drawn into the crimp, them re-crimped. Sounds a bit "Rube Goldburg" but it works.
Have fun

john e. holliday:
If crimps are done right you don't epoxy or glue.  I have lines and lead outs that have passed many pull tests and high winds.  The late Carl Shoupe put me onto them. D>K

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version