News:

• May 08, 2024, 02:04:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is it, really ARF, ARC, BOM  (Read 8326 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What is it, really ARF, ARC, BOM
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:00:08 AM »
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I was wondering if any really solid guidelines have fallen out and been accepted?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: What is it, really ARF, ARC, BOM
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 02:32:01 PM »
The present rules allow ARC's but not ARF's..

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 06:25:18 PM »
Which rules for what events?  I am trying to find out what DEFINES an ARF vs ARC vs modeler built plane in current usage.  Use a purchased, pre-made foam or lost foam wing?  ARC or ARF or modeler built?  The sectional Cavalier certainly looks to me like an ARC, but as I recall it is reputed to be a modeler built model.  Also the carbon planes from Europe?  What about them?  If you have someone completely frame up and assemble a model ready to cover and you do the finish is that an ARC?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 08:39:50 PM »
Which rules for what events?  I am trying to find out what DEFINES an ARF vs ARC vs modeler built plane in current usage.  Use a purchased, pre-made foam or lost foam wing?  ARC or ARF or modeler built?  The sectional Cavalier certainly looks to me like an ARC, but as I recall it is reputed to be a modeler built model.  Also the carbon planes from Europe?  What about them?  If you have someone completely frame up and assemble a model ready to cover and you do the finish is that an ARC?

That's what everyone has been fighting discussing about for about forever! There is no real consensus. The examples you bring up are used as examples for or against opposing arguments. AFAIK, there never will be a real consensus.

I really don't give a damn anymore.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 06:16:22 AM »
Its stupid.

Its the covering.  If the model was purchased covered, it cannot be used in competition.  Even if you remove all of the covering and re-cover it, if someone wanted to be a wank they could protest it.

So, by definition the Top Flite Nobler can never be legal.  It is not offered in an ARC.  Same with the Score or Tutor.  All of Brodak's ARF/ARC's are legal if you cover them.

I think mostly if you are really good or popular, people just look the other way.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 09:17:34 AM »
An ARC means almost ready to cover. An ARF means almost ready to fly. I'm sure you knew that. An infamous addendum to the BOM rules was stuck on the scoreboard at the NATs four or five years back. Perhaps someone can locate that note and quote it verbatum. It set the precedence for the definition. Very, very, loose requirements. Far as I can tell, a stripped and recovered ARF Nobler would qualify. A BOM model is defined by the amount of WORK necessary to finish what is now euphemistically called a (component) kit. Ultra Hobby component kits would qualify, I'm sure, if you silkspanned over the plastic wrap. Now some folks have stated that the infamous addendum note applied strictly to that NATs. How can that be? For years of course, modelers have built wings for other folks. Seems to me a straight wing with quality controls installed starts you off with a big advantage over an old time conventional kit. Where do you in fact draw the line? There isn't much line left. The Sharks, for instance, with all do respect, are just about done when you get them, including a dialed in engine and a trimmed airframe. Guess you spray the paint. Done. Plane is BOM qualified.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 09:28:15 AM »
After seeing the posts on the T-Rex ARF/ARC it seems like a couple of individuals has done a lot of reengineering to make the plane the way they want it.  Now to settle the problem, PAMPA skill classes allow any plane to fly/compete.  Even if it is a borrowed plane.  AMA has age classes in which the competitor is supposed to do the building and finishing.  There are several individuals that have gotten around it because of the statement, "A normal kit as it is produced".  Yes several designs come almost put together as they are already molded or assembled in sections.  That is the way that/those particular kits come.  

Now how many contests have you been to that run ages classes(AMA)?  What is really interesting is an article in "Control Line World" about a top notch builder/finisher/designer that did just that for an individual.  Then the individual in the article states he won a Concours Award with the plane.  Go figure.  So why worry about such stuff if people are okay with it and it doesn't bother their conscience.

I too have a problem with kits that are ARC and ARF.  If you remove the covering from an ARF, so it be can redone in a few areas to make a better plane, shouldn't it also be considered in the same realm of an ARC.

Dennis, I went ahead and posted this so I wouldn't lose any of it.  If you had been on the forums back in that period of time you would have seen it was getting a little hot under the collar for some people.  Our tech director at the time sent out questionars to people in the know for their opinion.  Our catagory NATS director was also approached as an individual threatened to protest each and every plane flying in aerobatics that year.  I did not get to see the final wording until I got to the NATS.  For appeaearance judging a lot of planes would have been illegal as I was against allowing any of the ARF/ARC to take part in appearance jusging like VSC.  Needless to say that person all of a sudden had family problems that kept them away.  So now no appearance points in the pattern finally.  Enough said as I can't see what I am typing.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 09:51:29 AM »

I think mostly if you are really good or popular, people just look the other way.

Surely you cant believe this, I guess on one hand if you weren't popular or a good athlete in school you could harbor ill will towards those who were, and that would justify this attitude, but really come on, were Grown men playing with model airplanes. There is no million dollar prize, its ALL about ego and self fulfillment, if you cannot get enough satisfaction from within yourself for your accomplishments, then this perhaps isn't the right hobby for you.
Bradly, you have done enough that people know who you are, why do you constantly cheapen your reputation with these kind of comments, please, for the sake of what you have contributed, think about how you present yourself.

Locally, there is NO resistance to ARC, ARF or OPA (other peoples airplanes) we all know pretty much who is building what, and even if you get a few points for a wing you didnt actually build, I can still overcome it with good flying.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 10:00:23 AM »
I'm sure Dan Banjok amd Mike Palko couldn't care less about this issue, and they build and design from the ground up. When something's a joke, it makes me laugh. Have a laugh. Stunt is, at it's best, a gentleman's sport, which means self-policed. Personally, I'd rather build a sub thirteen point stunt war wagon and take my lumps. I would ALWAYS rather build. Far as I'm concerned it's part of the pleasure in the sport. At times I do it with an ARF due to time restraints, other obligations and MALAISE. Contemplating my malaise, also makes me laugh. Besides storing those wood plank trophies can be a pain. Mine usually wind up under a work table or in a cardboard box.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 12:51:03 PM »

Far as I can tell, a stripped and recovered ARF Nobler would qualify.

Ultra Hobby component kits would qualify, I'm sure, if you silkspanned over the plastic wrap.

Guess you spray the paint. Done. Plane is BOM qualified.

Not true...  read the rule.  Sorry.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 12:57:54 PM »
Bradly, you have done enough that people know who you are, why do you constantly cheapen your reputation with these kind of comments, please, for the sake of what you have contributed, think about how you present yourself.

Locally, there is NO resistance to ARC, ARF or OPA (other peoples airplanes) we all know pretty much who is building what, and even if you get a few points for a wing you didnt actually build, I can still overcome it with good flying.

Its Bradley...

I just speak what I see brutha...  I guess if that makes me cheap...  I am cheap.  Fine with me.  Call me what you want.  "Judge" me how you want...  It seems it is what we do best.

The reason the "emergency rule interpretation" at the Nats was enacted in the first place is that there were *several* top fliers at the Nats that were in violation of the BOM *as it was written at the time*, and if protested they might have been very embarrassed.  The reason for the panic to get an "interpretation" that basically side stepped the CLACB rules change process was that the protest could have *succeeded* at the AMA.  Many people knew that the rule was basically ignored, and the people who ran the Nats knew that.  Who do you think Bob Hunt sold all those wings too?  Intermediates?

PS:  I have done the whole BOM thing...  It is black hole.  It is a bad rule.  I have said thousands and thousands of words on the subject and I am tired.  Are there double standards?  Oh, you bet there are...  Is that so bloody controversial to say?  Are we really in that deep of denial?  I think so...

Heck, even my dogs do it... someone has to be the top.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:50:25 PM by Bradley Walker »
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 03:28:23 PM »
Bradley,
I apologize for misspelling your name,My point is that you are not cheap, but the approach you take sometimes could be tempered, and it would help to relieve the burden you put on your reputation. You have done some good things for the stunt community, and I find it sad that sometimes you,, ( and we all do it) say things that overshadow the good things you bring to the table.
I am not personally trying to say anything negative about you.
Just trying to be constructive, however it seems that it is not being taken that way, alas, no good dead goes unpunished.
best of luck Bradley
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 04:45:48 PM »
alas, no good dead goes unpunished.

I think I might know that one all too well...

In a political environment like ours, it is not what you say, it is how you say it...
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 07:31:25 AM »
Bradley, I think the memo referred to the amount of "work" needed to assemble the model. Not the kind of work. Uncovering and recovering an ARF and continuing from there, would obviously be equivalent to the amount of work needed to assemble a component kit. At least that is how I remember the memo. If someone has a copy of the actual memo, could be useful to re-post it. If I need a break later today, I'll look through the archives and see if I can find it. In any case there are quality ARCs out there, such as the Vector and soon the T-Rex which would fit the current definition of BOM, without question. Also, I doubt that a Gieseke Nobler that's been covered etc. painted, and so forth, would be disqualified at the NATs. Orestes, as far as I "remember" (that WORD) didn't cover the Shark.

Thanks John for recounting some of the events that lead up to the NATs memo.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 07:47:44 AM »
You do not need the "nats memo".  What you need is the bom rule from the AMA rule book.  The interpretation was made permanent the year after it was written.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 07:58:55 AM »
Are your dogs really fighting for dominance or are they just queing up to eat your camera?  Make sure they don't eat the battery for your new T-Rex like they ate your carbon props!
Steve

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 08:19:35 AM »
Baby is just keeping her butt warm...

"From the AMA Rulebook:
Competition Regulations
2007-2008
Rules Governing Model Aviation
Competition in the United States
General Information

Builder of Model. The CD shall make every
reasonable effort to assure himself that each flier has
completely “constructed’ the model(s) he uses in
competition, including the covering where used, with
“constructed” to be interpreted as the action required to
complete a model starting with no more prefabrication than
the amount used in the average kit (“average kit” is
interpreted by Control Line Aerobatics as a model that may
consist of precut, unassembled parts or assembled
(uncovered) subcomponents such as wings, horizontal and
vertical stab, fuselage; requiring a few hours of assembly
time and covering). Models which are completely
prefabricated (“completely prefabricated” is interpreted as
the model is ready to fly out of the box or in a few minutes
(less than an hour) of assembly time.) and require only a
few minutes (less than an hour) of unskilled effort for their
completion shall be excluded from competition. (Control
Aerobatics additionally interprets that any model, that is
pre-covered in the box is excluded from competition).
"

That is why why UHP stopped offering SLC covered planes, there were several prominent members of the CLACB that said they would not allow UHP "component kits" in competition, since they came covered (no matter if they were re-covered or over covered).  We argued that we were advocating that they be finished in the traditional manner over the film, but the members in question would not budge (not to mention a lot of other outspoken flyers).

Heck, I invented the term "component kit" for UHP...  It was to get away from the term ARF (which is a misnomer).

That is why the rule is sooooo bad.  Many people can get the wrong idea about whether their plane is legal, show up to a contest, and be told they cannot fly.  It is a horrible rule.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 12:59:41 PM by Bradley Walker »
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 08:34:34 AM »
I gotta ask, what is unskilled?  HB~> Ron.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 09:18:06 AM »
How does Orestes Shark manage to qualify? Wings, fues, etc are received covered. Are they not?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 09:24:10 AM »
To everybody, how many times does it have to be repeated.  The rule only applies to the age catagories of the AMA.  Now when I show up at a contest to fly my UHP Nobler that is already covered to fly ADV competition and is told I can't fly it, it will go back in my car.   Then I would head for the nearest phone to call the AMA and report the incident.  Also the word would be spread to PAMPA.   Yes, I am the individual that was asked to remove my plane from appearance judging at VSC.  I was in total agreement with Robin Sizemore and did not argue with him.  But, it was allowed to fly in the competition.  All those people that finished 20 points or less behind my score are the only ones that could complain.  I gave everyone 20 or les points advantage just because the kit came precovered.  The covering was coming off and the plane needed some internal fixing.  So in my opinion, any contest that is running PAMPA age classes is asking for trouble if they refuse to let someone fly their entry.  

An after thought,  look at how much time some of our people are spending on their supposedly ready to fly ARF!  I spent over two days assembling my ARF Oriental.   Same with the ARF Nobler as neither kit in my opinion could be done in less than two or three hours.  I still haven't figured out why people insist on bringing this up.  There is no appearance points in the pattern anymore and hopefully will never be again.  
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 09:25:21 AM »
How does Orestes Shark manage to qualify? Wings, fues, etc are received covered. Are they not?

I have seen the kit and I dare anyone to assemble that in less than one or two days and have it fly right.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 10:18:16 AM »
The real answer is Marvin Denny's idea of points awarded depending on work done but can't get enough people of influence behind it to make it go anywhere.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 11:35:49 AM »
Bradley, are the parenthetic comments in the BOM rule quote in the rule book version or are they your asides (interpretations). If that is in fact the rule, I repeat, how would Orestes' Shark qualify in Open at the NATS. I believe the components are received covered.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »
Orestes' Shark was not the conventional "kit" that is available, He made specific requests when he purchased his. this issue was discussed many times. His labor and building wass documented and verified specifically to avoid being questioned, however, of course, a lot of people still question it.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 12:54:34 PM »

Yes.  It is a molded plane.

Like I said, it is a bad rule....
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 12:55:57 PM »
Bradley, are the parenthetic comments in the BOM rule quote in the rule book version or are they your asides (interpretations). If that is in fact the rule, I repeat, how would Orestes' Shark qualify in Open at the NATS. I believe the components are received covered.

That is copied from the AMA rule book online.

Read it yourself...

http://www.control-line.org/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/AMA_General_2007-2008.pdf

PS:  No one gets preferential treatment...
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 01:04:22 PM »
To everybody, how many times does it have to be repeated.  The rule only applies to the age catagories of the AMA.  

That is wrong.

The rule applies to PAMPA skill classes, and to JSO.  The difference is that in PAMPA classes you lose appearance points, in JSO, you are not allowed to fly.  The rule is still used for both, the penalty is different.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 01:35:37 PM »
Seems to me if the distributor, packer or SECONDARY builder of the model, decides to strip the plastic covering from a Gieseke Nobler, the PURCHASER of model receives an uncovered model in the box.

Besides, what about Richard Oliver's converted RC comp planes. They compete at the NATs. (Or at least, they have competed at the NATs). They are definitely shipped out covered in the box.

Orestes gets a pass I guess because the Shark wing is a carbon fiber casting. (Any comment here?)

Almost sounds like a PLOT to get Brad and the Moonies. (I'm kidding, kidding, kidding.)  ;D ;D ;D Covered in the box, almost sounds like specific language to exclude...

Just Joking.

Also seems to me that Ultra Hobbies could locate x number of Giesekes that were amazingly shipped from China sans saran wrap.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 06:54:35 PM »
Almost sounds like a PLOT to get Brad and the Moonies.

HA HA!!!

Its a stupid rule.  A really bad, poorly thought out stupid rule, that is about as clear cut as a pine forest.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 09:35:58 PM »
Uh oh. I really like that Shaw quote.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 11:11:17 PM »
If you eliminate the offending phrase, "covered in the box," almost any model would qualify, outside of a Cox Cub. Besides I agree with Brad, the phrase is ambiguous and selectively applied. For instance it seems to me that a balsa'd-over foam wing is equally "covered in the box," same goes for a cast carbon iteration.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »
 selectively applied.
[/quote]

See comments of preferential treatment above...
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 01:50:13 AM »
Hi Larry,

I like the way you asked your question, focusing on the "what" of the rule not the "why" of the rule. Just what I would expect from a gentleman engineer with a PhD from MIT. :-) .... I hope more people follow your excellent lead on this topic.

I promised myself that I would never write a post on this very strange topic again, but I just can't find the will power to stop. So far this thread has mostly focused on your "What" and stayed away from the forest fire level heat that comes from the why (or why not issues ;-)

I won't even go into the fact that 99.99% of the modeling world does NOT have this strange BOM rule, or that the entire planet earth, outside the USA, does not have this strange BOM rule .... this is for another time on another thread (or maybe another forum? ;-)

I have tried to find out all I could about this rule, as an active CD I have talked to the AMA tech/rule people, and many active CDs at length on this topic, below are the results.

LARRY,  ..... SHORT ANSWER:

#1,2,3 below covers 99% of our models and 99% of our CLPA flying.

1. Build and paint it yourself .......  Enter and get full AP everywhere (no-brainer ;-)

2. ARC or UNCOVERED "component kit", including wood covered foam, ...... same as #1

3. ARF or RTF ...... NO AP (almost everywhere), and possible entry problems at some contests.

99% of all the discussion (problems?) of the "implementation" of the current rule is due to the models covered in #4 below. These represent < 1% of all the CL models being flown in the USA.

4. If you buy a MOULDED fiberglass/CF component plane, or you "DEVOLVE" an ARF into an ARC then YOU make it back into an ARF then YOU make it into a RTF, ..... then you better check with each CD that you plan to fly under (?) before you enter his/her contest.

LONGER ANSWER:

As mentioned on this thread by others, there does seem to be a better understanding of this AMA CLPA BOM rule now and most people understand it well enough to address 99% of CLPA flying in the USA. If we remove just a few events from the discussion then the rule is very clear and easily applied.

If we set aside the North East Regional contest (AKA the Nats), AND the VSC, then the rule is very easy to use for the remaining 99% of all flying in the USA.  Like Brad said, the NERC/Nats punishment for breaking the rule is BANISHMENT from the contest. ....... (turn around and drive the 2,000 miles back home without a single flight and try to explain the "BOM rule" to your 15 year old son who tried to get into CLPA with his arf Nobler .... sorry I couldn't resist!  LL~ )

RE: the VSC, they have their OWN rules, their rules have "nothing" to do with the AMA or the PAMPA Classic or Old time rules. The VSC should never even come up in any dissicusion of rules, you must read and OBEY their very particular/unique rules, nothing else applies.

Now, with the above contests set aside, the current rule is very clear and easy to use:

1. If you built it and covered/painted it then your GOLDEN in all AMA/PAMPA contests. (no-brainer here)

2. If it is an ARC, then same as #1. ...... An ARC is an all encomposing term. It includes all the obvious ARC units from Brodak. It also includes ALL "component kits" (thanks for the great marketing term Brad ;-) from cottage industry producers and builders, this also includes foam wings sheeted with balsa (or plywood), ex: the excellent balsa covered foam wings that Bob Hunt has been providing for decades, ..... as long as none of these componet kit parts are "not" covered with any film or tissue/silk, paint, etc.

3. The only area that poses a potential problem is if we start molding fiberglass or CF parts with a built-in gelcoat of colored paint. So far this is almost nonexistant in a "component kit" format. It seems, so far, that the economics of this type of effort lends itself to a true RTF unit that costs several thousand US$, these RTF units clearly do not meet the current USA BOM rule . The few people making this expensive effort have stopped making it available in a "Component kit" format for several good reasons. For 99% of CLPA contests in the USA I don't think this issue will become a problem anytime soon.

4. RE: the FILM COVERED ARF (really a "component kit", ARC, that is covered with film at the factory), that is STRIPED of it's fatory film covering then RECOVERED (and/or recovered then painted) .... If this is done by the pilot, > 90% of those surveyed said it would meet the current BOM rule. So if you do this, check with your local CD before the contest. ..... Like an ARF, you can fly it but you may get zero AP with <10% of the CDs
      The AMA officials that I talked to stated that the above (re-recovered ARF) DOES meet their intent of the rule and they will make a clairification on this when/if needed. FWIW: they thought it was "unbelievable" that anyone would think that going through all the WORK of devolveing the ARF back to an ARC then recovering and/or painting it again would somehow NOT meet the intent of the current rule, I had a hard time convincing them that some CL people really thought that. (I will keep the forum posted on the progress of this official clairification). As stated above, this problem (#3,#4) covers only a very small % of planes flying in contests today.

DOC:

You said: " ... why do we discuss this anymore?, there are no more AP in pattern ......."

There is a very important reason why we discuss this. The APs are CRITICAL at any contest you want to COMPETE in. Look at the results of all the =/> med size contests and you will see that the average APs are larger than the point spread between the trophy places 1st to 3rd, and many times to 5th place. This means that the BOM APs have a huge impact on how you finish. Doc, at your next contest, go up to the 1st place winner during the awards presentation, tell him that you just lowered his score by 16 points and take his trophy out of his FIRM grip and tell him he now only placed 4th! Then tell me that the AP points don't matter.

You may be lucky in the SE and not use AP, but the norm in most of the USA is to still use them. I know that here in the very conservative (reactionary?) SW they are universally used. Please try to understand why they are important to us, even if your local area does not use them. TIA :-)

Regards,  H^^

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:47:00 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 10:19:31 AM »
Thanks Rudy,  my mistake.  Just went and looked at the rules again.  Guess in my old age I got Pattern points mixed with Appearance points.  But, if someone that won a contest by the 16 points for appearance he got for a plane he did not build, it is his conscience he has to contend with.  But if you can strip an ARF Nobler, recover it and the fly it, why not any of the other ARF's? 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 01:58:33 PM »
Hi Doc,

"......But if you can strip an ARF Nobler, recover it and the fly it, why not any of the other ARF's?...." ????

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that this applies to ALL ARFs. I only used the ARF Nobler as an example because it has been so popular. The few people that say this ARF to ARC to ARF to RTF procedure does not meet the rule must be using some form of logic that is from another planet?  n~ ...... Where is "Spock" when we need him?  LL~

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 12:08:26 AM »
Hi Rudy,
I don't how much weight your reply No. 32 carries at contests but it certainly is an understandable answer. I appreciate the work you put into this. I now have a better idea of whats acceptable or not etc. Thanks for the effort.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 08:28:04 PM »
reply to Dennis
Sharks are all balsa and plywood only carbon is the stab joiner
Orestes brought the shell component kit to the 2005 nats and presented the kit to Warren and anyone else who came by his room to view the kit Wing top and bottom 1/4 shells with integral wingtips installed, foam ribs, Fuse left and right balsa shells with plu wd and balsa formers Note the shels are laminated with fiberglass cloth inside and out Stab balsa top and bottom shells same as wing
I have 3 sharks so i spek from actual facts
Brad great work on the T-rex  i have one and it will be electric
my wish is for guys to be imformed on this subject and stop the inference of rules violation.
The first model with a foam wing cut by others were all in violation of the rules but as Brad stated it all depends on who not what.
BOM died in 1968
Jose Modesto

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 10:34:51 AM »
Orestes brought the shell component kit to the 2005 nats and presented the kit to Warren and anyone else who came by his room to view the kit Wing top and bottom 1/4 shells with integral wingtips installed, foam ribs, Fuse left and right balsa shells with plu wd and balsa formers Note the shels are laminated with fiberglass cloth inside and out Stab balsa top and bottom shells same as wing

Hey Jose,

Of course, there could be some "trickery" afoot (as Dan Rutherford implied about Kim's electrics).  You are not really sure which Shark the guy is flying.  A kit or an RTF.  The RTF is available and is identical.  So, a guy could just say "I built this from a kit like Orestes", but he could be lying.

Of course, the BOM is a really stupid rule.  Even Warren in his rules proposal said it was "unenforceable".  His rules proposal said we should adopt FAI rules with an 8 minute time limit and no K factors.  Sounded good to me.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 03:36:17 PM »
my reply was to Dennis about Orestes,Josias, and the nats. Dennis only mentioned Orestes and i wanted to imform about his model and the facts about how its constructed. Dennis inference about his plane not being current BOM legal and i wanted to address this and put this to rest
Brad the current rules allow a complete component kit as long as you apply the paint and final assembly its legal
The issue now is to define covering.
Jose Modesto

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 07:48:44 PM »
Jose, are the Sharks covered in the box? Whatever that means. Do you have to silkspan the wings, put balsa shells on or what. My point was about the inconsistency of applying the rule. I didn't understand why the Sharks were legal and the Ultra Hobby Noblers were not. I personally have no problem with the present BOM interpretation, as long as it is applied the same across the board. I guess the shells have to be joined to the wings. So in effect they are not covered in the box because they are in more than one piece. Same with the fues shells. Guess they have to be joined. Different from the Noblers. A picture would be nice to see. I never saw the component pieces of a Shark. I'd be interested in seeing the pictures out of curiosity, not to make a point about BOM.

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 02:52:05 PM »
Dennis the Shark kits that were presented in 2005 were prior to the BOM rules clarification, the current kits can be shipped as are the Tom Morris quick built component kits with all major parts ie:wings,fuse with fin and tail preconstructed by the manufcturer.Dennis at the 2007 team trials the kit was presented to Warren and Paul walker for their approval as BOM compliant and approved by them.
The current kits to comply with the BOM the wing takeapart system is not glued into the wing or the stab wich requires the builder to assemble and align the model wich is dificult since we dont have access to the molds and the plane is devoid of any center lines to be used for alignment.
Tom Morris has a CD showing various take apart systems and it shows the 2005 Shark kits.
Dennis the last sticking point is the definition of the "covering" are we talking 1950 tecnology or current state of the art composite structures. With composite structures the outer surface can be very smooth and may not require any additional traditional covering.  Dennis with the Sharks you can see the weave of the fiberglass cloth  specialy if you order the kits with out paint or primer,for top level nats competition this is not acceptable and addition finish is required wich has been interpreted as adding covering.
is this 1950 or 2010 wich is it for you
I spoke with Hunt about you and he said you were a good guy as youand him had some spirited discussions at the filly flyers meeting

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 04:46:20 PM »
I wish it was about 1957 myself. Liked those Chevies. (How did I get bye Bob Hunt's ultra sensitive radar?)

What you say makes sense of course. If BOM meant building the moulds and casting the forms, we would be restricted to classic (old fashioned) building techniques, mostly balsa and silkspan. Bob Hunt is, of course, one of the greats in our specialized world. Very nice debating with him and shooting the breeze. I am drawn to the old ideas of the hobby. Just my inclination. Today, in fact, I spent quite a while in an old time hobby shop we are lucky enough to have near Philly. In fact it's the place where the Philly Flyers meet every Thursday. I spent a long time looking at Megow, Comet, Guillow, Dumas, etc., classic stick and tissue kits of 30s era planes. Go figure. It's a fascination of mine. As far as the Sharks go, I have no problem with them flying in Open or elsewhere in stunt. Not my approach at the moment. A moot point anyway, since I am an Intermediate flier on merit.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:06:42 PM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 06:56:21 PM »
To bad Dennis as i have just completed the molds for an all composite Impact and SV22 for electric power
I have in the past 10 years developed a severe alergic reaction to balsa wood and CA that has made it difficult to build the old traditional way. There is nothing like a true dope finish
since the BOM rules have changed it has opened the way for component builders that have greatly helped me in my stunt journy thanks for progress.
As far as traditional dope finishes Windy U. is the best that i have seen since 1980 to present and light to.
Remember that all thats required to meet the BOM rules are 1 hour of skilled labor and part paint they might as well eliminate it and stop the myth of BOM as its used today.
Im with Warren f2B and 8 minutes
PA stunt is an art form and the beautifull models that u see at the nats and the worlds will not be effected  wether there is a BOM or not, but i'm indebt to the pioneers that made the artform that we so enjoy today under the original BOM.
Jose modesto

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010, 08:38:02 PM »
Yes, I agree it's an art form. I love the planes, the flying, and many of the folks on the ground end spinning around. Too bad about the allergies. There's something about balsa and dope. Oh I might go electric and prefab sooner or later. Electric has many advantages, clearly, and there's never enough time to do what we want. Mike Palko would set me up in a minute.  But so far I have resisted going over to the other side.  Bad enough I bought a Honda.

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2010, 10:55:30 PM »
<Bad enough I bought a Honda>

The days are lone gone when you had to apologize for buying a HONDA......Grins
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:43:09 AM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2010, 11:25:31 PM »
What I worry about the most is, would everybody get the same determination, at every contest? To get a different determination from another CD would probably cause bad feelings and spoil what should be a fun activity!

There isn't any good way to make sure that happens except to either ignore the BOM rules to a significant degree, or to eliminate the BOM rule completely. I'm old fashioned enough to not want the latter choice to happen, even tho I am more likely to be flying a second hand model and getting no AP's.  R%%%% Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2010, 04:43:10 AM »
On the East Coast, for the most part, in local contests anyway, there are no appearance points awarded. A kind of pocket veto on BOM. Far as I can tell everyone flies what they brought. No one even thinks twice about flying a model someone else built. At Brodak in the PAMPA classes, however, appearance points are awarded. It is assumed that the flier is the builder of the model.

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2010, 01:25:03 PM »
How about "run what you brung" y1 Ron.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2010, 07:22:26 PM »
At a contest three years ago, a contestant had an ARF which he had recovered.  We gave him no appearance points and he protested.  We all looked at the rule and agreed that a recovered ARF got no appearance points.  I don't really think that is the way it should be.  Taking the covering off an ARF and putting new covering on is going to be more work than covering an ARC. 

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2010, 11:53:41 PM »
On the East Coast, for the most part, in local contests anyway, there are no appearance points awarded. A kind of pocket veto on BOM. Far as I can tell everyone flies what they brought. No one even thinks twice about flying a model someone else built. At Brodak in the PAMPA classes, however, appearance points are awarded. It is assumed that the flier is the builder of the model.

We simply score according to rules. In addition to our ARF/ARC class, these planes can fly in PAMPA classes without appearance points. That's the event, and that's how it's scored. We don't have cheaters and we are happy to honor the traditions of the event and have our winners compared on even ground to those who came before. We speak for ourselves only.

SK

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2010, 01:21:36 AM »
Hi Serge,

You said: " ..... In addition to our ARF/ARC class, these planes can fly in PAMPA classes without appearance points. .... "

I am confused, and I hope I just misread the above sentence. ......  Are you saying that you do not give ARC planes full APs? If this is true, what rule do you base this on? I have never heard of anyone doing this. Even here in the extremely conservative SW where they hate Electric Power, hate Monokote, hate ARFs, hate anything new, etc, .... even they allow APs for ARCs.  n~

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2010, 02:18:23 AM »
Seems to me, that once folks started flying made to order planked foam wings, BOM was on the road to being compromised. Hard to build a straight contest weight wing. The fues and tail much easier. Tho, I must admit zooty cowls are difficult and eye catching. Painting and finishing an art. I've even heard rumors (horrors) that implicate a few that reside on the morally righteous left coast.

In most cases at our local contests it's obvious who built their own flying machine, who arfed it and who bought it. In fact, most airplane buys are out in the open and public. Nice moral touch there IMHO. Geeze, come to think of it, I'm flying a knock about Vector 40 I bought at the big B fly in. A kit built plane that flies nice. Everyone knows it, who cares. In profile I fly a mod Twister that looks pretty good. I built that one. Still, there are many lovely models flown, obviously BOM. What's the point of faking it in the present scheme of things. Of course the neurotic will be, still, neurotic. But for those of us blessed with a fairly stable mentality, what kind of satisfaction is there in breaking the rules in order to win a plank?

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2010, 11:17:41 AM »
IMO the BOM was ALWAYS a non-issue because of the lack of integrity of some "win-at-all-cost" competitors.

In my case the racing classes I choose to compete in don't have any AFS or ARCs although there is also no BOM so some just buy what they want.  Those who think that you can buy success are mistaken.  Even handed stuff on a silver platter it still takes practice and a certain bit of talent to be successful in any endeavor.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2010, 07:36:42 PM »
Im so tired of the BOM this  overblown,selectively enforced,myth must die. if the real BOM was ever enforced many NATS champions would have to have their names removed from the Walker cup.
let me explain. One of my childhood heroes , NATS champ and a good friend  who i visited a couple of days back won the nats  and the walker cup with the first foam wing plane and then became the east coast rep for the wing manufacturer.
This model did not meet the BOM rules but the flyers accepted this with out ever changing the definition of the BOM and then many followed this trend building their models with wings prepared by others assembled and finished by the flyer. that to me was the first chip taken from the BOM.
 You know why no one protested becouse building a straight wing is the Hart of a stunt plane and this new invention was available to everyone so everyone approved of the change to the BOM without it ever having to be voted on or officialy changed by the AMA
Second: Foam wings ,Stab,Elevator and Flaps, sheeted by others and assembled by the flyres  this development are clearly in violation of the BOM as written but again they wer made availble to everyone. So the BOM is changed again by the  flyers without imput by AMA
Third: Quick built kits these are fully built component kits.ie: wing,stab,elevator,fin and fuselage. These models are in clear violation of the BOM prior to 2004 NATS
I have attended Nats that the 51% rule was used for the BOM in the 1980s again with out any imput from the AMA
So here we are today with the overly critical west coast corus stating that they are the ones that realy follow the rules of the BOM and i say wich rule, the official AMA BOM prior to 2004 or all the un official changes since 1969.
BOM is dead long live the BOM
PS: I can name names of all the who did not adhere to the AMA BOM who have won the NATS prior to the 2004 NATS and the redefinition of BOM starting in 1968 to 2004 with their permision only as all these men followed the accepted rules as enforced at the time.
After 2004 all of the bove systems became legal
I did not use the word cheaters for anyone as i have been in this game since 1966 and have been part of the process without ever protesting anyone.
JOSE MODESTO

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2010, 09:57:12 AM »
 You know why no one protested becouse building a straight wing is the Hart of a stunt plane and this new invention was available to everyone so everyone approved of the change to the BOM without it ever having to be voted on or officialy changed by the AMA

I take axception to the term "everybody".   A lot of us "less than perfect"  performers of the aerobatic pattern and a few of the even top echelon group of fliers do and always have followed the BOM as it was originally intended.  We build own models because we  ---A: like to build our own creations, or B: we think the rule ought to be followed as originally intended, or C: We feel a moral integrity to do what is right.
  Do we NOT care if we win?   No, we DO like to win, and it pains us when we see others who "push the rules as far as they can" to gain a few points extra.  Some of those do so because their friends and fellow competitors do  and they want to remain competitive.
 Do we protest and if not ---why not?  NO most of the time we do not as we feel that it is (per the rule book) the contest/event directors' responcibility to enforce the rule book, not the average entrants' duty to challenge him into doing his job.
  Even with all the "supposedly"violations, and the "reinterpitation" of the BOM rule, I still think the BOM should be kept but with the allowance of a "sliding appearance points system to reward those who DO build their entire craft with some points also being awarded to those who do somewhat less..  I do not think that there should be so many points awarded for appearance to make it "easy" for a competitor to win a "stunt" contest.
  I suggested such a system some years back and it has been tried by three (that I know of) clubs  around these parts.  Tulsa OK mainly with good acceptance by the entrants.
  Will I submit a rules change proposal??  Not no but heck no!!  I am tired of the fight--- let some younger modeler try to fight the establishment.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2010, 01:09:06 PM »
I suggest an extremely simple and workable modification of ARC/ARF/BOM rules.:

As of ((Date)) the Builder of the Model rule is suspended for all control line stunt flight
competitions, and appearance points, if awarded and under any circumstance shall not
apply to flight competition scoring.

Any judgments and scoring of appearance points shall be mutually exclusive with flight
contests.

..or something to that effect.

Problems solved.

L.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." -Ovid
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2010, 04:12:32 PM »
Marvin not looking for a fight with you BUT you are one of the responsible competitors that allowed the unofficial changes to the BOM. When i speak of everybody i'm only speaking of the NATS competition the only place were BOM maters what you do in your neck of the woods is up to you and your friends.
You must be one of the only known flyers to never have built a foam wing stunt plane  with a foam wing cut by someone else.  Marvin are you and I on the same page that foam wings were a violation of the original BOM if cut by others.
what i said in my previous post is correct,BOM has been under assault for a long time remember when there used to be 60 then 40 now 20 points for appearance and now even you want to reduce it further in a missguided attemp to save something thats been dead for a long time.
Its about time to stop the farce that the current BOM rule has become it has no relationship to what BOM was prior to 1968
Marvin I hope that you would not disparrage any NATS competitor that currently is following BOM as clarrified by the AMA.
Marvin with out this official change to the rule many current planes and all the way back to 1968 would have been disqualified from nats competition.
marvin do the competitors make the event or the AMA as a NATS participant and lover of this most AMERICAN ART FORM (that the world has now embraced even without appearance points)I say that the competitors are the ones that define this event and BOM IS DEAD LONG LIVE BOM
LETS NOT FORGET THAT PAMPA HAS RUN THE NATS SINCE 1973 so who is responsible for yor lost BOM tradition we are.

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »
Marvin not looking for a fight with you BUT you are one of the responsible competitors that allowed the unofficial changes to the BOM. When i speak of everybody i'm only speaking of the NATS competition the only place were BOM maters what you do in your neck of the woods is up to you and your friends.
You must be one of the only known flyers to never have built a foam wing stunt plane  with a foam wing cut by someone else.  Marvin are you and I on the same page that foam wings were a violation of the original BOM if cut by others.
what i said in my previous post is correct,BOM has been under assault for a long time remember when there used to be 60 then 40 now 20 points for appearance and now even you want to reduce it further in a missguided attemp to save something thats been dead for a long time.
Its about time to stop the farce that the current BOM rule has become it has no relationship to what BOM was prior to 1968
Marvin I hope that you would not disparrage any NATS competitor that currently is following BOM as clarrified by the AMA.
Marvin with out this official change to the rule many current planes and all the way back to 1968 would have been disqualified from nats competition.
marvin do the competitors make the event or the AMA as a NATS participant and lover of this most AMERICAN ART FORM (that the world has now embraced even without appearance points)I say that the competitors are the ones that define this event and BOM IS DEAD LONG LIVE BOM
LETS NOT FORGET THAT PAMPA HAS RUN THE NATS SINCE 1973 so who is responsible for yor lost BOM tradition we are.
  We not only are not on the same page Jose, we are not even in the same book!!!  Just HOW am I one of those responcible for the situation as it is today?  As for "disparaging" ANY competitor, I never have, even when I saw a competitor AT THE NATS flying a ship that I sold him a couple of years earlier.  All he had done was apply some new paint on the wings.  The current "interpretation" of the BOM was  done without an official vote in order to "possibly" avoid some mass protests rather than face the problem head on.
  How am I in my suggested points awarding "further reducing" the BOM rewards?  Would you rather have enough points for appearance be awarded that no matter HOW poorly you flew and no matter how well another (non  builder of his model) flew that you would still win just because you had a "pretty plane"?  I think not.  My suggested system STILL awarded the true BOM modeler the most points, but it DID award those who did  SOME extra work in preparing and finishing their ARFs and ARCs
  I have a very good and sophisticated foam cutting system.
, but I still like building my stunt planes from balsa.
  You say that the BOM is only in effect at the Nats.  That is WRONG. The awarding of "pretty points" in the PAMPA classes while not awarding them to ANY extent to builders (assemblers) of ARFs IS in fact either rewarding for building or punishing  modelers  wsing the BOM as a tool.
  I truely wish the BOM was enforced as it was intended  "back in the old days".
  As to foam wings qualifing for BOM--- if the modeler bought a foam core (pre cut by someone else) installed the LE, spar, TE, and skins onto the core, I would say he built the wing.
  As a added little item, since you mentioned finish,  did you know that the finish put on a model has NEVER been part of the BOM requirements.  It states in part, "shall have built the model up to the covering where required".  So I have absolutely NO problems with ANYONE getting a professional to paint his plane.

I think I have explained myself and my stance pretty well as I can---- book closed.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2010, 10:23:33 PM »
Marvin first let me thank you for building that really nice Novi 4 one of my favorite airplanes wich i got to photo at Brodak
My contention of you having a responsbility first to your self and the hobby is that by allowing a modeler that you sold a completed model to and then allowed the flyer to compete at the NATS  you have been a willing participant in the destruction of the BOM.Cant you see thats wrong.
The great PAMPA has been in charge of the NATS since 1973 most of the violations and unwritten rules have accured during this time when i say we i mean all PAMPA members who allowed these unofficial changes and the continuation errosion of this great AMERICAN ART form. I think that what we have now is what we want PAMPA is the official SIG for this event and it sets the rules official or not.
Marvin we are at fault for this you,me and every other flyer who remained silent while the flyers who really want to fly FAI but manintain the charade of the BOM contunue to dominate this event. In your post  you made mention of your dislike of a guy winning on pretty points  even you are in some way against BOM and want to water it down.

in BOM there is only one absolute that is  not modified in any way in the original BOM and Current BOM YOU MUST APPLY YOUR OWN COVERING I interpet this to be the finish what do you think this means the silkspan?
all other items mentioned  in BOM have qulifiers attached to them so for me the paint is an item that must be done by the competitor.

I live in NYC and all contest in my area are flyer events. No BOM we either have a concours or a beauty award wich is voted on by the flyers but no points. We in the north east have figured out that BOM is dead and the only charade is at the NATS were you think one way and i another with no
Lets compare  BOM is open to interpretation i think that a foam wing is in violation were you think as long as you sheeted and added leading edge and trailing edge then thats acceptable, there is no absolute to this rule  no real consessus as to what it means.
Marvin note the AMA has defined it for us but its contunues to vague as you and i have different opinion on what covering means and it has been in the rules for over 60 years.
BOM is dying slowly let it DIE.
JOSE MODESTO

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2010, 09:39:38 AM »
Isn't the horse dead yet?  There is only one contest that BOM really applies and only three catagories/classes of stunt.  In PAMPA Int, Adv and Opn it only applies for appearance points.  Those that get appearance points for a plane that does not apply have only their conscience to contend with.  Now if someone strips an ARF Nobler and recovers it, then gets appearance points then I would protest it if it is flown in ADV as that is the class I fly.  If all other ARF's are illegal for stripping and refinishing then the ARF Nobler should be also.   Now I have the question,  "I have an UHP Gieske Nobler already covered with SLC, is it illegal after I put a finish over the SLC"?  If the answer is yes, I will leave it in the car during appearance judging.  In reality why don't we go ahead and bury the poor horse so he can rest in peace before the vultures get to him. R%%%%
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2010, 05:26:23 PM »
Dear John,

I don't understand why you are still confused about the Nobler example? It was only an EXAMPLE PLANE. Please see my prior post to you on this, it is located in this post below. As I stated before, "ALL" stripped and recovered ARFs will get APs in most parts of the country. Please read my prior posts on this thread for details.

This thread is about important "APPERANCE POINTS"!!!!! ... only a very very few care about the North East Regional contest (AKA nats) rules re: the BOM. .....  >99% of all contest flying is done under PAMPA rules which allows ALL planes to enter, the ONLY variable for discusion in the USA is APPERANCE POINTS. 

Larry asked a very important question to start his thread. With only a few exceptions the answers have been a productive review of where we are in understanding the rules AS THEY ARE WRITTEN NOW. We have been operating under them for one full year now and it is a good time to review how they are being used in re: to APs.

PLEASE, I beg of you all, to put your HEAT aside and NOT get into the "why" and "who" of the past and start dealing with the reality of NOW (at least for two more years ;-). PLEASE keep this thread on the topic at hand: "how do CDs implement the PRESENT rules regarding APs at PAMPA contests" ...... We will be under these same rules for two more years so it is important that we ALL have a clear understanding of how the CDs NATIONWIDE will use them.

If I can use Larry's beautiful Bob Palmer Smoothie as an example. Larry did an outstanding job recovering it and Bob would have been proud of it as an excellent example of his design. One of the main reasons we have NATIONAL rules is so that we can travel to contests far and wide and know that the rule book in our hands applies EVERYWHERE within our countries borders. Here in the West it is common to drive many hundreds of miles to contests throughout a very large region. It is important that the rules are both UNDERSTOOD and UNIFORMILY implemented to make it fair, inclusive, and FUN for everyone. Larry's recovered Smoothie should receive APs in LA the same as it would receive them in Phoenix AZ or Portland OR, or Charleston SC.

This is a very important concept. It is why the FAI CLPA rules work so well for the rest of the world. They are universally understood and applied uniformally throughout the world. They allow CL flyer's from every country on the planet (except one) to be treated fairly and KNOW what to expect from one contest to the other no matter which country they travel to. They can build a plane that meets a universal rule knowing that they can fly it and receive full points in 195 out of the 196 countries on spaceship earth. 

Please, let's deal with the rule we have NOW and try and find some "facts" so we can address Larry's original question: What is the status of the AP rules in our country TODAY and for the next two years?"

I think it would be productive to hear from competition pilots and CDs from different regions of the country on the status of our AMA rules implementation re: APs. This may help those that are planning on competing at contests over the next two years make their plane selections re: APs.

John, re: your ? about the excellent UHP Gieske Nobler. This was an outstanding idea, but for better, or for worse, it ends up on the very edge of the rule. Some think that applying tissue over the SLC then painting it in the traditional manner makes it eligible for APs, others think not. Being on the very edge of the rule I would contact all the CDs in YOUR contest area and get their opinion before going forward with this excellent plane and expecting APs.

If someone wants to get off topic and go on and on and on about the past, then please start another thread so we can have an intelligent (dispassionate? n~) discussion of the present rules, as they are written. TIA.

Warm Regards,  H^^

Isn't the horse dead yet?  There is only one contest that BOM really applies and only three catagories/classes of stunt.  In PAMPA Int, Adv and Opn it only applies for appearance points.  Those that get appearance points for a plane that does not apply have only their conscience to contend with.  Now if someone strips an ARF Nobler and recovers it, then gets appearance points then I would protest it if it is flown in ADV as that is the class I fly.  If all other ARF's are illegal for stripping and refinishing then the ARF Nobler should be also.   Now I have the question,  "I have an UHP Gieske Nobler already covered with SLC, is it illegal after I put a finish over the SLC"?  If the answer is yes, I will leave it in the car during appearance judging.  In reality why don't we go ahead and bury the poor horse so he can rest in peace before the vultures get to him. R%%%%

Hi Doc,

"......But if you can strip an ARF Nobler, recover it and the fly it, why not any of the other ARF's?...." ?

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that this applies to ALL ARFs. I only used the ARF Nobler as an example because it has been so popular. The few people that say this ARF to ARC to ARF to RTF procedure does not meet the rule must be using some form of logic that is from another planet?   ...... Where is "Spock" when we need him? 

Regards, 
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2010, 05:09:25 AM »
I have watched you guys argue about this stuff for years now. 

We don't have a BOM rule here in Australia, we allow anyone to fly anything they like. If we didn't do that the dismal numbers we have at some of our comps would be even less.

We fly F2B, you can build, buy or even borrow a model and fly and be judged and even WIN because your flying is judged and nothing else.

I do like the idea of an Appearance Points prize though, based on your BOM rule. This would those give those guys who take their hobby to the n'th degree (ie design, build and finish their own models) some credit and recognition for their good work.

I reckon you blokes should stop arguing, have a beer, and remove the appearance points thing for the flying part of your contests, and if you must have it, make it a separate contest or prize for the best looking model.

Thats just my 2 cents worth from the outside looking in.

Cheers!
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2010, 09:20:37 AM »
Thank you Warren,  in a way I have been anti BOM for years.  I guess since I started flying control line and when I was a Jr & Sr getting beat by daddy built planes.  I tried my best to get my son to build as much as he could when he was my pilot and also competing.  With school and all the other activities it was hard for him.  By the way do you guys ever get snow down there in our summer time?  We get snow in your summer time.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2010, 11:50:13 AM »
If you eliminate the offending phrase, "covered in the box," almost any model would qualify, outside of a Cox Cub. Besides I agree with Brad, the phrase is ambiguous and selectively applied. For instance it seems to me that a balsa'd-over foam wing is equally "covered in the box," same goes for a cast carbon iteration.

And I'd be in favor of a special waver for Cox Cub competitors!

Simply, we need to stop pretending we're trying to keep a rule while we're trying to get around the rule.

L.

"If you wait, it will go away." -Hellrung's Law
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2010, 02:45:44 PM »
  By the way do you guys ever get snow down there in our summer time?  We get snow in your summer time.

No snow here in populated areas.  Sometimes it falls, but usually melts when it hits the ground. We have a few small mountains around the place that sometimes get snow on their tops. We have a couple of ski fields for snow skiing in winter but they are pretty average.
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2010, 10:40:19 AM »
BOM as it applies NOW!  There is no BOM.  There is, however FOM (finisher of the model).  For that, I think there may be appearance points.  ARF, BARF, Composite, ad nauseum have nothing to do with the original BUILDER OF THE MODEL rule!  As has been stated, "As it applies today."  Whatever the rule book says is what should be allowed, or not, in an official contest.  Should you not agree with the current rule, feel free to attempt to change it.  Yes, there are those who build their model from design to clear coat.  That is to be applauded.  There are those who build from traditional kits and finish them themselves.  They should also be applauded.  If there is any more prefabrication then cut ribs, tail and fuse, it's not BOM.  It's assemble the model.  I have ARFs, ARCs kits and plans and combinations of all of the above, depending upon the crash (yes, I still crash).  There really should be no loud vocal "discussion" on the subject.  The BOM has degraded into what we have today.  It is the current law.  Live with it or change it in any way you think is necessary.  It's all totally irrelevant.  Those that build will continue to build and those that assemble will continue to assemble.  Think about it.  From some of the above quotes, the wing is the most important part of the airplane and MUST be built straight.  "But I can't build a straight wing so if I buy a premade straight wing I'll have an advantage over the other guys."  It went from there into what we have today.  Anyone can have whatever they want to fly.  All it takes is talent or money, just like the rest of the world.  Stunt has devolved into flying and paint, admit it.  Drop the ego gratification, cheating or bending the rules and the controversy goes away.
Bob from NWO:  If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
AMA 15083

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2010, 08:45:11 AM »
I remember a time when that kind of rant would earn you a landslide of letters, emails, slanderous posts, and maybe even the entire thread being erased.

I would be willing to applaud (golf clap).
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2010, 01:20:41 PM »
Actually, it wasn't even a rant.  It was what appeared to me to be an amalgamation of all the posts in the thread and how they, as a group, affected me.  Some were nice, attempting to explain a point, some were a bit defensive.  After reading all the posts, it hit me that the controversy will not go away, kinda like the North and South.  It seems that it doesn't matter who's right or wrong.  It just won't go away.  That's just the way it appeared to me.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 01:58:46 PM by Robert Schroeder »
AMA 15083

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2010, 02:18:40 PM »
Actually, it wasn't even a rant.  It was what appeared to me to be an amalgamation of all the posts in the thread and how they, as a group, affected me.  Some were nice, attempting to explain a point, some were a bit defensive.  After reading all the posts, it hit me that the controversy will not go away, kinda like the North and South.  It seems that it doesn't matter who's right or wrong.  It just won't go away.  That's just the way it appeared to me.

I would be willing to applaud the best model builder....  and that be the end of it.  Life is too short for bad BOM rules.

That is all I meant.

I think your post is exactly correct.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2010, 05:45:57 PM »
I agree.  Thanks for your answers to my questions

Bob
AMA 15083

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »
How many have caught the article in Stunt News about a plane that was built for someone else.  From idea to plans to construction then finish.   mw~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here