News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:22:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vector motor  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Bellantonio Valerio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Vector motor
« on: August 24, 2007, 06:35:33 AM »
From I have little bought a Vector Arf I would want montargli a posterior drainage motor thing advised to me? The Stalker 46 is too much powerful?
Valerio Bellantonio from Italia - Roma

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Vector motor
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 06:53:07 AM »
Hi Valerio,

I am sorry if I have misunderstood your question, but if you are asking if the Stalker 46 is too much, then I will try and answer.

The Vector ARF will fly on much less engine than the Stalker 46.  Which verson of the Stalker do you have?  The earliest one would be ok.  It is fairly light and would not mess up the balance a lot, I think.

As long as you can balance the plane, and get a large enough fuel tank in the plane, the Stalker will be plenty of power.  Many people are using the OS 46LA in them.

I hope this helps
Bill Little <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 07:16:04 AM »
Hi Valerio,

I am sorry if I have misunderstood your question, but if you are asking if the Stalker 46 is too much, then I will try and answer.

The Vector ARF will fly on much less engine than the Stalker 46.  Which verson of the Stalker do you have?  The earliest one would be ok.  It is fairly light and would not mess up the balance a lot, I think.

As long as you can balance the plane, and get a large enough fuel tank in the plane, the Stalker will be plenty of power.  Many people are using the OS 46LA in them.

I hope this helps
Bill Little <><
I do not have the motor I must buy and that I wanted to mount a motor with the rear exhaust
You have idea for me? :!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 12:53:42 PM »
I do not have the motor I must buy and that I wanted to mount a motor with the rear exhaust
You have idea for me? :!

The Stalker, the Rustler/Merco 40, the Ro-jett 40, and the PA 40 (both the regular and the ultra lite) are the only engines that I know of in the "40", or so, size that are rear exhaust.  The PAs and Ro-Jetts are the "ultimate" for this size plane.  I have not seen any of those in use on the Vector 40, yet.

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

steven yampolsky

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 01:13:38 PM »
From I have little bought a Vector Arf I would want montargli a posterior drainage motor thing advised to me? The Stalker 46 is too much powerful?
Valerio Bellantonio from Italia - Roma

I think Stalker 46 is a very good motor for the Vector ARF. Rear exhaust is best on that model.

steven yampolsky

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 01:15:59 PM »
The Stalker, the Rustler/Merco 40, the Ro-jett 40, and the PA 40 (both the regular and the ultra lite) are the only engines that I know of in the "40", or so, size that are rear exhaust.  The PAs and Ro-Jetts are the "ultimate" for this size plane.  I have not seen any of those in use on the Vector 40, yet.

Bill, I think your list of engines is somewhat contradictory to your earlier post. PA 40, 40UL and RoJett 40 are stronger engines that Stalker 46.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 01:48:46 PM »
Bill, I think your list of engines is somewhat contradictory to your earlier post. PA 40, 40UL and RoJett 40 are stronger engines that Stalker 46.

HI Steven

The PA 40 ultra lights are very powerful motors but only weigh 8 ounces, this is perfect for the  Vector 40 and there are  many Vector 40s  flying now using the  PA 40 UL, both on pipes and mufflers

Regards
Randy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 04:16:16 PM »

I guess it can be viewed that way, Steven!  I know how strong the PAs are, we've had a "regular" 40 (#21) for about 10 years now. ;D

At first I was just trying to figure out the question.  But when the question of "rear exhaust" came up, all bets are off.  I was just listing "rear exhaust engines" that I know of in that "size range". y1

I can about guarantee you that one of my OS 25VFs would fly a Vector 40 just fine. **)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 07:01:32 PM »
I picked up on the meaning of "rear drainage" immediately, Bill. WazzamattaU? Donmakamebreakauface.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

steven yampolsky

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 07:53:32 PM »
The PA 40 ultra lights are very powerful motors but only weigh 8 ounces, this is perfect for the  Vector 40 and there are  many Vector 40s  flying now using the  PA 40 UL, both on pipes and mufflers

Guess what I have in my Vector ARF  ;) Yep, you guessed it: PA40UL!

I still think that Stalker 46 would be a good choice too, especially if Bellantonio has one already.

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 08:25:10 PM »
I have a Vector ARC with a P/A 40 ultra lite and a hedder muffler and Paul Ferral 's Vector has a Magnum xl36 piped Vector's work well with Aero Tiger 36 or Thunder Tigers also. Pick one you can't be to far off.
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 09:52:19 AM »
Thanks for your councils. I was trying a motor I have seen the prices of the PA40 and of the RO-jett40 350 dollars are many also for satisfied me that in Euro ;D.
Where I can find a motor 40-46 with rear exhust under the 150 dollars?

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 12:43:47 PM »
The MVVS .49 Akrobat can be purchased in rear exhaust configuration for something around $150-$175.
It is not the lightest engine but is very high quality.  The MVVS engines are available from Alberto Parra
at  www.clubtamaran.com  or www.clubtamaran.com/MVVS.htm .

Personally, I don't think the Vector needs an engine as powerful or as heavy as the MVVS Akrobat.

Regards,

Jim

Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 07:47:20 AM »
Thanks for your councils. I was trying a motor I have seen the prices of the PA40 and of the RO-jett40 350 dollars are many also for satisfied me that in Euro ;D.
Where I can find a motor 40-46 with rear exhust under the 150 dollars?

The Stalker is fine.  The price is right for you, and it is a very good engine.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 07:30:43 AM »
I've been flying a kit built Vector for several years. I've powered it with a Stalker 40 RE for the entire time. In my case, the engine, run on FAI fuel, has been more than  adequate. Based on my experience, I would recommend either the stalker .40REE or .46RE without any reservations.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 10:55:29 AM »
My first Vector was a kit. I powered it with a supre Tigre 46. with a 137 bored veture. It worked great. the plane wieghed 54 ounces. My next one will have Enya 40-XZ. I hope to have it cone in at around 47 ounces. Works for me. HB~>

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 02:29:20 AM »
the stalker 46 is too big for the vector - not power wise. but size wise - you would need to modify the entire nose to make the thing fit in there - not to mention the bulkheads for the muffler - ask me how I know - go on...  ;)
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 08:06:47 AM »
Am I deceived? All this talk about sophisticated big buck power... Jack Weston uses an FP35 in an ARF Vector. Obviously not a rear exhaust or a special built stunt motor. Looks like an excellent match. Allows the ole boy to do his tricks. Fine combo in my humble opinion. Plane is similar in wing area to a Gieseke Nobler. Jack used an FP40 in that to win a number of East Coast Contests. His preferred power these days is electric. Alas. His amped up Vector ARF does its thing very well. Very offensive. Palko. What can you do about Palko...

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 11:53:02 PM »
All of the first VECTOR 40s  had  either  Magnums or Aero Tigers in them,
since they have flown very well with Brodak 40s, FP 35s 40s, LA 40 46, PA 40s , Rustler 40s, SS 35S ENYAs, Webra 32s, ST 46s , Thunder Tiger 36,39s 32. I have even seen them with FOX35s and FOX 40s, There are quiet a range of engines that will work plus I am sure that there are more that I did not list

Randy

• New Pilot
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 03:15:01 AM »
All of the first VECTOR 40s  had  either  Magnums or Aero Tigers in them,
since they have flown very well with Brodak 40s, FP 35s 40s, LA 40 46, PA 40s , Rustler 40s, SS 35S ENYAs, Webra 32s, ST 46s , Thunder Tiger 36,39s 32. I have even seen them with FOX35s and FOX 40s, There are quiet a range of engines that will work plus I am sure that there are more that I did not list

Randy
Tanks Randy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 01:34:57 AM »

Jim "Uncle Jimby" Aron has a Vector 40 with a piped PA40 "Ultralight". I flew it on New Year's Day. Quantity of power is NOT AN ISSUE! His still needs a little work on tank shims, etc. It also worked very well with a Magnum 36 on a pipe (as did 2006 Senior National Champ Paul Ferrell's).

The Vector 40 doesn't require a tremendous amount of power. Peter "Greasy Pete" Deane flew his on a Fox 40 Stunt (Large Case), and while it took a few laps to get up to speed, it flew surprisingly well. It's a very feeble 40, probably less powerful than most Fox 35's. His has a split-case muffler that has the primary effect of distributing oil over every exposed surface of the airplane, all over the launcher's feet and hands, and the flying circle. Hence the name "Greasy Pete".

I would think even vintage 35s (Fox, etc) in good shape, on 15%, would be plenty of power. The Stalker 40 RE's I have seen are  less powerful than a Fox, and would be about as little as I would suggest. The upper limit is whatever you can stuff in there, and still get it to balance, and control the power. For the larger engines, it had better be pretty mellow.

If I had one, I would use a Rustler-Merco 40 Metamorph. Lots of power, very mellow to control, and light.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here