News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:50:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vector assembly instructions  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Dzlstunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Vector assembly instructions
« on: January 11, 2007, 12:24:20 PM »
I got a Brodak Vector ARF for Christmas :), and today finally got an opportunity to begin reading the assembly recommendations :-[

I think I have read all the other posts about this model, but there are a few things that I'm wondering about.  The manual says to use thin CA for the wing-fuse joint (top).  Wouldn't epoxy be a better choice? 

The manual says to glue the fuel tank in.  Haven't done that since my original Nobler.  Is this a structural thing? 

Finally, CA hinges.  My first inclination is to put in Robarts hinge pins instead.  But if the CA hinges are flexible enough, I'd simply go with them.  Thanx in advance for any opinion(s), Dzl

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Vector assembly instructions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 02:53:07 PM »
On Windy's Strega DVD he tacks with thin C/A then uses thick for the actual joining. I would think you'd want to keep the tank available for shimming, I personally wouldn't permanently glue it in. There's nothing wrong with the C/A hinges that I'm aware of, just a personal choice to use DuBros or what other kind you prefer.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 02:53:25 PM »
You have done a pretty good job of answering your own questions. I have not assembled a Vector but all your concerns are valid go with what your gut is telling you.

Epoxy, I use 30 minute for this, makes me feel better, Then I mix a little more with microballons and fill in the gaps.
Wouldn't ever glue a fuel tank in, am sure this recommendation has nothing to do with structural strength.
Do not use the CA hinges, Hinge points are OK but I prefer barrel hinges.

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:05:06 PM »
I have assembled the Vector 40 ARF, and the CA hinges are just fine. The tank is glued in lightly with CA, and can easily be debonded if shimming becomes neccessary.Be sure to follow the instructions for coating the tank compartment and engine area with brushed on epoxy, it will help fuelproof  these areas, as well as add a little bit of strength to the front end structure. I recommend the Brodak tank designed for this plane, it fits like a glove.The way the wing is mounted lends itself to using the CA method described in the manual. Just review the book several times, as you will see the pixs dont go along with the text! The belcrank and LOs are ok, but I suggest the use of ballinks at the flaphorn for both flap and elevator pushrods.I JB Welded a CF rod over the original elevator pushrod. Use the Z-bends at the belcrank and elevator horn ends, and make your adjustments at the flap horn before gluing on the wing.

Alot of folks whined about getting a warped wing, mine is straight as an arrow. Check for warps, as apparently there was a bad run from the plant in China...

Have fun, as this is a well designed and built plane!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 06:25:19 PM by Richard Grogan »
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 07:42:35 PM »
The Vector Arf is one tough plane! I did a figure nine  with mine and the only thing that happened was the hinges pulled loose on the flaps and elevator. I thinned epoxy and painted it in the engine and tank compartment.I glued a plastic tank in place with 100% silicone caulk.I did use super glue to hold the wings and other surfaces in place.I ditched the aluminum landing gear and went with carbon fiber(about 1/3rd the weight).Wayne Buran has them in stock.Had to open the engine cowl in the rear to allow for more ventilation on the OS 40 FP .

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 07:55:41 PM »
With a Brodak .40 and an Aerotiger 36 the 5 oz wide brodak uniflow all tubes forward tank does not need to be shimmed. It will wind up right on the bearers.

Be sure to remove the film covering material from the wing facing surfaces of the fuselage. The thin CA will wick in under the joint ant lock the wing on pretty well. Thick CA will give you a fillet to fill the misfit and reinforces the joint.

I cannot see an advantage to ball links at the flaps. A carbon fiber elevator pushrod with ball link at the tail is pretty useful but you will need to cut access hatches.

The plane tends to be nose heavy. Use the lightest plastic spinner you can find (1 3/4 in) and a chip muffler.

Rig the outboard flap section that is glued to the wing as an adjustable trim tab.

Go fly the puppy, its a dynamite airplane.

bob branch

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 08:34:41 PM »
Bob,
I just finished up my "Frank Carlisle Song and Dance" ARF Vector.  RTF weight looks to be around 46 oz with a B-40 and stock muffler for power.  I was thinking that mine might be a shade tail heavy.  Will verify with the instructions on the balance point and then give it a shot.  Kind of looks like the one on the box doesn't it????  ;D
John

John Paris

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 05:57:00 AM »
John

Randy says 2 7/8 to 3 1/8 in back from the leading edge for the balance point. I'm aft of that but not flying with a stock control system.

Bob Branch

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 10:15:10 AM »
John

Randy says 2 7/8 to 3 1/8 in back from the leading edge for the balance point. I'm aft of that but not flying with a stock control system.

Bob Branch

Hi All

John , when I set them up it's 3 1\4 inch from the leading edge at the, many people seem to like them a little forward of that

Regards
Randy

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 06:19:33 PM »
Randy,
Thanks for checking in on this thread.  I checked today and I am about 3.75" from the leading edge.  I will continue to add weight to the front until I am about the 3 inch zone and work back from there.  I am looking forward to some good weather to give it a shot.
John
John Paris

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 07:49:11 PM »
John

You should pull that Vector decall off and put on "Song and Dance"

Those of us who saw it know you have no shame.

bob

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 08:44:41 PM »
Bob,
My singing and dancing both suck, but I did complete the requirements for the kit.  Now that you mention it, I may just add some lettering below the Vector decal that reads "Song and Dance".  Thank God nobody had a movie camera out there at that time....
John
John Paris

Offline Denis Downs

• New Pilot
Re: Vector Balance Point Clarification
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 07:08:03 AM »
Randy mentioned his balance point of 3 1/4"...Is this measured from the leading edge up along the body as a reference point?

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 06:26:34 PM »
Yes that is correct.

Bob Branch

Advertise Here

Advertise Here