News:

• May 10, 2024, 01:52:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: vector arf  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Greg Howie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
vector arf
« on: November 08, 2012, 03:51:48 AM »
They are great looking. I finally got one and they don't look like that. The yellow one had all yellow wings and tail. I sent it back for a white one that had red yellow and blue and black on the leading edge. nice looking but not the ones posted here. The cowling is no longer built up, they are a flimsy thin fiberglass shell. however the controls are tom morris style. barbed inserts that go to ball link fittings and fiber glass rod that must be assembled with jb weld. The crimped lead outs could have worked if there was brass tubing in the bell crank. this will saw through in time. but the lead out cable was big and the crimps look good. Now for the ugly, the wings just fall short. the leading edge in sharp on both.  the trailing edge is up on one side and down on the other. because the trailing edge sheeting was made out of much. looks like they cracked it in 4 places. The ARC would made this an easy fix, but its covered. the other wing has both wing tips on the leading edge warped up. the trailing edge almost true. The trim tabs must be cut off and glued on correctly. The flaps are curved worse that the junk you find bowed 1/2 an inch. So......What is the best fix. How can you steam a covered wing and will I ever get the wing tipd down on the leading edge. Was this your experience with the quality of the build ? I am into this 50 bucks just on the shipping so far. can or should I try to fix this or send it back too. maybe this is as good as it gets ? should have went with the ARC. HB~> R%%%%
Oh ....I see ,you mean the ones on a string ?

Greg Howie

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: vector arf
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:16:10 AM »
I would contact John Brodak and explain your concerns.  I bought a P40 ARF a few years back that they replaced the wing twice for me.  The first wing had cracked planking under the covering and the second had binding in the controls.  Later on, when I needed a new rudder and stab to repair a mishap, they sent the parts free of charge.  Even after that, I needed some covering and they sent that too.  Very good people to do business with.  Never a question with defective parts.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 11:22:17 PM »
Did they ever fix the problem with the covering peeling off in flight? They tend to fly poorly that way, and if you're in the middle of a maneuver, that can be critical!  :X Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 04:00:02 AM »
One thing you might do is to ask somebody to force the wing the right way twisting it and you can blow it with the heat gun. I've seen people doing it and if the warp is not much, you may make it straight again.

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 12:48:11 AM »
Talk to the Brodak people. They have always been cooperative and professional, if you had an issue. The ARFs are far from perfect. But, considering, the price, I have always thought them a bargain. It is possible to do different things that help keep the covering down. Fuel proofing all the seams helps. Some folks have used dope to do this. Some have used trim seal. One person I know puts a coat of urethane two part clear on the entire plane. He paints cars professionally. Easy enough from him. If (or when) the fuel seeps in using spot cleaner to leach out the fuel, three or four applications, then using balsa-loc will keep it down pretty well. ARCs are a good option. Possible to look everything over and fix this and that. Covering with your choice eliminates one of the variables. Cheap ARFS have allowed many of us to fly stunt with much better planes then we could build ourselves. I think, all in all, they are excellent transitional and knock around birds. As skills improve, kit building and scratch building, will be a step up in quality.

Offline Louis Keller, Jr.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 06:43:56 PM »
I have one that has been a work horse for a retread going on a year now. With all its' imperfections I found it to be very durable and for the  number of flights served, a bargain. I ended up peeling the covering off the flying surfaces because I got tired of the constant maintenance it required. Recovered with monokote. The original covering peels off real easy and  amazingly there was no fuel soakage after a 100+ flights. Yes my wing was warped too. I twisted the wing opposite the direction of the warp then heated the covering to relax it then let it cool all while still holding the twist. Once cool the wing should have a new shape. It may take more than one try. Like you I was apprehensive at first. But now I'm glad I persevered.

Offline Greg Howie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 08:30:08 PM »
True they are a bargain. I think the damage came in during the covering. for the most part they are great. Brodak did sent me a new wing no charge WOW!  The new tom morris type controls are a real bargain and can be ordered separate. The bulkhead for the engine compartment is going to have to be cut out to run the stalker. John Brodak has made it real easy to get into the air with some awesome planes. Thanks John 
Oh ....I see ,you mean the ones on a string ?

Greg Howie

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here