News:

• May 10, 2024, 03:49:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vector ARF & Piped PA .40 UL  (Read 5936 times)

Offline Norvaldo

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Vector ARF & Piped PA .40 UL
« on: February 10, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »
I got hold of a Vector .40 ARF from Randy Smith with taylor made Tom Morris controls.
So naturally i will put my PA .40 UL on a pipe in it.

Picture shown when i am just checking alignments.
Landing gear is made by a friend.

Norvald
Norvald Olsvold

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Vector ARF & Piped PA .40 UL
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 04:12:24 AM »
Let us know how this works out.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 11:10:33 AM »
I'm doing the same thing right now. I've run into an issue with the front end of the crutch being too small and I can't get the motor set back far enough to line up with the spinner. Did you cut it back or are you just leaving it as is?
Matt Colan

Offline Norvaldo

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 12:04:28 PM »
I just made room for the header and backplate bolts in the firewall.
After smoothing, i will put thin epoxy on the firewall front and some extra reinforcement after the fuel tank is in place.
With a balaced prop. this engine is so smooth running that i do not expect vibration to be an issue.

I will be using a fuel tank from Eric Rule at RSM.
Norvald Olsvold

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 03:34:23 PM »
Matt, it's an issue, even with an FP 40. I have 2 ARCs on the bench at present and I'm pondering whether to add an additional nose ring so I can use a needle nose spinner or do I use a Dubro spinner.

From your pic, that will not be a complete solution for you.  :(

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 07:33:26 PM »
Matt had this problem with a Enya, just cut the first balk head down and then make a half of one and set it back a bit. there was room to still get the tank in.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 11:35:42 PM »
Let us know how this works out.

Uncle Jimby has the same setup and I have flown it a few times at the ARF-Off. It was 54 ounces and it felt every gram of it. It flies pretty well in decent air. It was very difficult to fly at the 2011 contest when the wind got up around 20, Ted and I had both flew it and it was like the old days with ST46s, lots of kiting it around and hoping. The RO-Jett61 version (also 54 ounces) dealt with it much better.

The first batch or two of the Vector 40s ARFs were reasonably light and mostly straight. The later batches got heavier and many had big misalignment problems that were fixable with a lot of work.

Even though the design is pretty darn good, I would suggest that at this point most people would be much better off building it from a kit or scratch, it should be easy to get it into the mid-40s with a PA40UL or anything on down to a Fox, and it will definitely fly well at those weights.

Brett

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 08:46:13 AM »
I'm in the process of relocating that front bulkhead and cutting the crutch back to help get the motor to fit. Sadly school work has been getting in the way so I haven't been able to finish the job up.

Matt Colan

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 09:55:34 AM »
   (snip)The RO-Jett61 version (also 54 ounces) dealt with it much better. (snip)

Brett

Hi Brett,

That reminds me of sticking a 572 Pro Stock Rat engine in a stripped down Vega...............

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 12:17:34 AM »
I've an ARC Vector that is in mid-completion, delayed by an internal debate. Are folks using the motor mounts as glued in or replacing them? The ARC fues looks quite good and is light. I'd rather not mess up the nose ring and front end by hacking out the motor mounts and redoing the crutch with hard maple and epoxy. If the stock arrangement will survive a piped 40, the FP40 or Brodak 40, I intend to mount, should be ok.

Offline Ed Keller

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 01:20:48 PM »
Brett's comments about the weights of  the Vector 40s has made me wonder - can anyone of you more experinced builders predict an approx. wght of a plane (Vector 40 ARC in this case) will be when finished if the component wghts are totalled, & a reasonably careful finish is used? I have weighed everything furnished in the box, & get a total of 29oz. This includes wheels, pants, bolts, nuts, etc. If you add engine, tank, covering, dope, what should the result be?  Ed

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 07:46:58 PM »
Brett's comments about the weights of  the Vector 40s has made me wonder - can anyone of you more experinced builders predict an approx. wght of a plane (Vector 40 ARC in this case) will be when finished if the component wghts are totalled, & a reasonably careful finish is used? I have weighed everything furnished in the box, & get a total of 29oz. This includes wheels, pants, bolts, nuts, etc. If you add engine, tank, covering, dope, what should the result be?  Ed

That should come in between 48 and 51 ounces, depends on how much finish you put on it

Randy

Online Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 07:16:37 AM »
I built an old die cut Brodak Vector 40 kit recently and when fully assembled (all nuts & bolts, tank, tubing, engine, etc.) with no dope or covering, it was 40 ounces, with complete dope and silk-span finish it was 49.  It flies better than my skill level with an OS Max .46 LA.  I am still learning techniques from experienced builders to keep the weight down, but so far I have determined that sanding works best, but it is not much fun.

Don

Offline KEITH McCRARY

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
Wow! That is one nice looking Vector!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here