News:

• May 06, 2024, 09:42:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vector arf  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Jim Morris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Vector arf
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:44:24 AM »
I know alot has been said about the Vector,but here is my question. I just recieved one last night,I already stripped the covering off.I will cover with altra coat,and paint the fues. I want to replace the bellcrank and use the Tom Morris control system,but I can see it will be a pain in the #@ss to install the bellcrank.Would it hurt to just use the existing bellcrank with new Wrapped leadouts with the rest being Tom Morris stuff. What hole would be good for the bellcrank,there are three. Im guessing the closest to pivot.The Tom M bellcrank has the hole right between the two on the arf.I hope I made things clear enough. Thanks

Alan Hahn

Re: Vector arf
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 01:12:19 PM »
Well my opinion is that it certainly won't hurt anything. The Morris controls are certainly an upgrade, but I am guessing the stock controls are fine (I have not "assembled" a Vector Arf, so am not too sure what is included). Usually the Brodak controls are ok--even in the arf), but  I am sure others will soon chime in!

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 08:31:21 PM »
I changed out all the controls in my ARC Vector except for the bellcrank and leadouts for exactly the reason you mention: cannot get at the bellcrank without demolishing the wing. So far so good, about 50 flights and several pull tests at contests. I think they are getting better at this.

Offline John Rakes

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 05:53:29 AM »
Hey Jim, I have had several Arf/Arc in the past few years. Almost all of them actually! The Nobler was the only one I changed the bell crank in due to the size and ability to saw through the metal material its made of. I have a Cardinal with a whole bunch of flights on it, about 8 or so gallons on, and a few weeks ago the leadout out pulled the the bell crank. From the looks of the leadout, looks like the crimp released the leadout. But we are talking a lot of flights here. Even that happening, I think it would be pretty safe to leave the bell crank in as stock. This could be a good question or kind of poll to ask as a post of recommended mods. Everyone knows there are many to make, but a post of mods will add some that we may not know about or thought of yet.
I am no expert with covering in plastic but do a descent job. If you like we can hook up in North Carolina, break out the Ultra Coat and cover wings and tail surfaces, and with that built up fuse, there is plenty of room to cut out that bell crank and put in another one. We can get Kent Tysor and his knives, he will cut that baby open. I believe his calling was to be a butcher, because he does not mind cutting into an airplane. See Ya John Rakes
John Rakes

Offline Jim Morris

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
Hey John, I will supply the beer!!!!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 09:36:20 AM »
WE are doing a Vector ARF now.  Kept the original bellcrank (a Brodak one) but added bushed stranded leadouts of slightly larger size and NOT CRIMPED.  Gonna use the supplied push rod for the flaps, using a soldered washer, but will add ball link pushrod to the elevators (recycled!)  Otherwise, it looks like it will use all the other kit parts.  Will heat shrink everything and stick it down good, then seal all the seams.

I have been convinvced that the Vector ARF is a great flying airplane!  Probably the best of the bunch that is available right now.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline John Rakes

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 11:14:45 AM »
Jim, its a good chance I can come down this weekend. If you want, we can start Saturday. Just let me know.
Call 434 229 5090 or 434 237 5086.
John Rakes

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 02:22:58 PM »
Just for grins, I picked up an Oriental ARC. It's a PITA to cut the sheeting, but I went ahead and did it anyway so I could get to the controls. I changed the leadouts and will use ball links for the push rods.

I was planning to do a Morris bellcrank, but the Oriental comes with a 4 inch Brodak unit and that's fine for a small classic ship - as well as a 40 powered Vector.

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 03:43:22 PM »
When I did my Oriental ARF, I was able to get the bellcrank out and back in without cutting the sheeting.  I did put a 1/4 " dia hole in the bottom center of the sheeting to gain access to the head of the pivot screw.

YMMV H^^,

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 04:00:29 PM »
When I did my Oriental ARF, I was able to get the bellcrank out and back in without cutting the sheeting.  I did put a 1/4 " dia hole in the bottom center of the sheeting to gain access to the head of the pivot screw.

Jim,

Since I was working from an ARC, not an ARF, there was no need to be super cautious.  :##

It's much easier (for me) to slice a big section out of the sheeting, make sure I do the job right, then replace the whole center section if necessary. If I was starting with an ARF, I'm sure I would try to make smaller incisions and it's nice to know it can be done.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Jim Morris

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 09:56:44 AM »
Thanks. I already pulled all covering off. I am worried about the glue that was used around the engine mounts.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 04:17:52 PM »
I have a Vector 40 ARC, and I'm thinkin' about a Magnum XLS .36 with round the back header and carbon pipe. Has anybody done one up with an enclosed pipe? If somebody has found a way to get the engine mounts out of an ARF/ARC, I'm interested in hearing about how to do it!

I also have an OrientARC, and should check the bellcrank. I am wondering if it is a genuine Brodak (i.e., made in USA), or if it's made in a duplicate mold, in China? The type of plastic used is of some concern to me.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 06:51:47 PM »
I have a Vector 40 ARC, and I'm thinkin' about a Magnum XLS .36 with round the back header and carbon pipe. Has anybody done one up with an enclosed pipe? If somebody has found a way to get the engine mounts out of an ARF/ARC, I'm interested in hearing about how to do it!

I also have an OrientARC, and should check the bellcrank. I am wondering if it is a genuine Brodak (i.e., made in USA), or if it's made in a duplicate mold, in China? The type of plastic used is of some concern to me.  D>K Steve

Hi Steve,

Aaron decided today to go with the Magnum 36XLS in his Vector Arf.  Replaced the leadouts, but left the original BC.  Gonna probably use the kit horns with clips made to attach them to the back of the wing and stab.  Using the kit BC to flap pushrod.  *Might* make up a Morris flap to elev. pushrod to use the links but might just go with the kit rods there, too.  Thousands of planes were built with music wire pushrods and soldered washers! LOL!!!!!!  Being the *Blind Hog* I never had one fail.  (not even when I was 13 and soldering them on)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 11:00:05 PM »
One more V ?

Has anyone seen the need to take the covering off the LE and round off the LE? Or is the relatively sharp LE OK on the Vector? Has anyone seen the plans to compare Randy's LE to the ARF/ARCs LE? .... TIA 
Rudy
AMA 1667

Online Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 08:05:55 AM »
Hi Rudy
I did just that on my Vector ARC , Controls B/C Push rods and lead outs, I rounded the L/E and sliced 1/4" off
the T/E of flaps, power is a P/A 40 Ultra-lite with Header Muffler, 3bld Bill Lee 11x4  flys just great I 'm not sure if the mod's did anything, I let Paul Ferral ( Jr Nat's ) and he love the way it flew. #^ #^ #^
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 01:39:40 PM »
Hi Larry,

Thanks for the tips. I have always felt that a rounded LE is better for our event. And now that we have unlimited power (your excellent setup, or my ECL) we can drag anything through the air, especially our modern blunt, fat, hi lift, and forgiving airfoils! We no longer need the pylon racers edge up front. ;-)

I'm using Randy's TALL CF gear to clear my 12 x 6 props, and have done all the other mods you and others have suggested. It will be easy to peal back my new covering job and round off the LE.

Congratulations again on your well deserved 1st place win at the CA State Championships last month! I can not think of a nicer guy to lose to!  y1

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 08:19:28 PM »
Hi guys

I've not seen a Vector ARC/ARF so I can't comment of the airfoil but the plan that comes with the Vector kit has a LE template near the top RH corner of the drawing.  It's pretty blunt.  I can't get the full plan near my scanner but perhaps someone can copy the template and post it.

Cheers, Geoff

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 12:06:54 AM »
Thanks Geoff,

That is all I needed to hear. The ARC Vector is far from "pretty blunt". I have already done it based on what Larry said, but your comments definitely makes me feel it was worth striping and recovering the LE to make it conform to the original model Randy designed. The present ARC/ARFs are very good and I am sure that the mfg. will get better at understanding the importance of the rounded LE and in the future we will see ARC/ARFs that are made even closer to the plans. :-)

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 03:47:20 PM »
G'day Rudy

I had a blinding flash of the bleedin' obvious and pulled out a radius curve—a relic of my days on the board with pen and pencil.  3/8" radius is the size on the Vector plan.

Cheers, Geoff

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 02:36:46 AM »
Thanks Geoff,

I was not able to get it as blunt as 3/8, but close. It's nice to know what the plan showed. The ARC is not close to that, but I hear it still flys very well even with it's sharper LE. Fixing this is very easy, even after I covered my ARC with MK. It would have been a bit of a PITA if the wing was painted. ;-)

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 09:30:04 AM »
Don't know what the plans look like, but Randy told Aaron to change the controls and seal all the edges of the covering.  That's all..... and he designed the plane.  If the LE was a problem, then he would have told us so.  H^^  D>K
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here