News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:31:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak ARF Oriental Questions  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak ARF Oriental Questions
« on: November 25, 2018, 05:47:24 PM »
I'm certain that this topic has been discussed before so forgive me for bringing it up. Today I picked up at the GSCB swap meet the Brodak ARF Oriental. After going over the model with my iron to  tighten the covering I weighed all of the components  needed to complete it including  a Tower Hobbies 40 less muffler but with prop mounted. The all up weight of everything was a mere 38.9 oz. That's very nice. Since it was so light I was wondering if a nice running Fox 35 (40th Anniversary model) would be a better choice seeing it is a few ounces lighter. I was told that these models tend to be nose heavy so for me the Fox makes sense. What do you mugs think?.....Cheers,PhillySkip

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
Re: Brodak ARF Oriental Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 04:18:00 AM »
I used a Fox 35 in mine initially.

However, it started misbehaving and I replaced it with a Brodak 40.

Not knowing any better, given that there was no guidance on where the engine should be placed in the instructions that came with the model, I used the Pat Johnston drawing to put the prop where the drawing said. That left space between the Fox and the firewall.

Now, the Brodak 40 sits against the firewall and the mounting holes straddle the rear mounting holes for the Fox. The balance remains the same.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 05:18:42 AM »
Thanks for your input.

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 06:22:20 PM »
Skip,
I flew an ARF Oriental for years with a Fox 35.  For me it worked well and now belongs to another modeler with the same engine.  If you can make a Fox work for you I would not hesitate.  Need to like the goo though.  Couple the engine with a 10x5 APC to smooth out the run.
John
John Paris

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 05:56:10 PM »
Thanks John!

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »
I used an L&J Fox 35 which was Perfect !! Never had a problem. Whats a little goo, anyway that's what the plane was designed for!!
Leester
ama 830538

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here