News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:59:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vector 40 Electric ARF UP/DN Thrust?  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Vector 40 Electric ARF UP/DN Thrust?
« on: January 30, 2020, 03:03:12 PM »
Ok folks on MY Vector 40 Electric ARF (sold as the electric version) I have 2.3 degrees down thrust when the wing and stab are at zero degrees.  The wing seems to be proper as the belly pan fit real well.  The stab mount only needed slight sanding to get it parallel to the wing.  The motor sits firm up tight to the ply mount. I don't see any glue globs or anything else in the way..  Is this what is intended to be at 2.3 degrees down thrust?  Here's some pics showing what I have.....
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Vector 40 Electric ARF UP/DN Thrust?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 05:15:34 PM »
Hi Dave
Supposed to be zero, the way it is built it very hard to concieve that the mount can be that far off. 

* What motor are you using? Some do not like to be front mounted, the wire harness can get in the way of the mount.  I have a Cobra 2820 with this problem.  With this motor I am extra careful to get extra clearance around the harness. Also make sure the wires did not get pinched.

* With the prop & adapter off, look through the front end and see if there is evidence of any gaps between the motor and mount. 

* Take the motor out, reach up into the nose and feel around for stray glue gobs or wood flash that got in the way.

If I can think of anything else I'll be back.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 08:41:30 PM »
Dennis,
Thanks for the info.  I am using a Cobra 2820.  I cleared out a lower shelf right up to the firewall.  No way the wires are getting in the way.  I looked very closely at the imprint the motor made on the ply mount and I can see even impressions at the 4 mounting screw locations.  No glue or "stuff" in the way.  Remounted the motor and I still get +2 degrees of down thrust.  When leveled I put a square up to the spinner ring and that too is at a down thrust angle.  I rechecked level at the hatch area and that is at zero degrees when the 2+ degrees down thrust is measured.  I'm afraid of adding washers to the top holes as I'll lose a good "footprint" for the motor to mount on, not to mention how the spinner will match to the ring.

Hi Dave
Supposed to be zero, the way it is built it very hard to concieve that the mount can be that far off. 

* What motor are you using? Some do not like to be front mounted, the wire harness can get in the way of the mount.  I have a Cobra 2820 with this problem.  With this motor I am extra careful to get extra clearance around the harness. Also make sure the wires did not get pinched.

* With the prop & adapter off, look through the front end and see if there is evidence of any gaps between the motor and mount. 

* Take the motor out, reach up into the nose and feel around for stray glue gobs or wood flash that got in the way.

If I can think of anything else I'll be back.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 09:40:42 AM »
Here's the fix I did.  On the table saw I sliced a piece of birch ply at 2.5 degrees.  I then made the necessary cutouts for mounting and cooling.  It's about 1/16" thick at the bottom.  I then elongated the Vector mounting holes slightly to aid in spinner alignment.  I mixed up some 30 minute epoxy and reassembled it.  Measures a lot better!  I did use #6 fender washers under the mounting bolts so "crushing" would be minimized.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 11:06:52 AM »
Thanks!
Should be fine for a long time....
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here