News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:54:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tutor II Leadout Location  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Tutor II Leadout Location
« on: June 03, 2010, 03:14:06 PM »
I just finished a Tutor II, and the leadouts can't be set far enough forward (using Line III numbers).

Here is what I have:

Wing LE Sweep: 2 1/2"
CG: 3" from LE (root)
Front line (all the way forward): 1 3/8" from tip
Rear Line (all the way forward): 2 3/4" from tip
Actual Line Rake from CG: 1 9/16" behind CG
Line III Spec (most rearward of combos tried): .8559 (<7/8")
Tutor II rearward "error": > 11/16"

Wow, that seems like a ton to be off  :o . Am I missing something? I had a previous Tutor II, but it met its demise before I finished trimming it -- although, it seemed to be doing great at that point. I think I left the leadouts alone on that one, as someone else had assembled it. However, the wreckage confirms the leadouts were in fact as forward as possible.

Any ideas what might be wrong here? (Hopefully, a bonehead error on my part)

Larry Fulwider

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tutor II Leadout Location
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 09:46:48 PM »
Are you sure that CG location is really correct? I don't mean correct per the plans...it seems to me that TF screwed up the FS CG location instructions, and maybe the Nobler, too. Or, is something wrong with the L.O. guide, limiting its travel?   D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »
Are you sure that CG location is really correct? I don't mean correct per the plans...it seems to me that TF screwed up the FS CG location instructions, and maybe the Nobler, too.  . . .
 . . .

Steve –

Thanks! Yes, you are correct. The CG location is part of the problem – but not the entire problem. Here is the info from the TF manual:

Recommended: 3”
Most Rearward: 3 3/8”
Most Forward:   2 ¾”

My calculations show the following CGs as % MAC:

2  ¾: 14.2%
3     : 16.5%
3  3/8: 19.8%
3  7/16: 20.4% (now)
3  ½: 20.9%

With the CG at 3” (required half ounce of nose weight), the Tutor II flew like a truck. Removing the nose weights put the CG at 3 1/4'” -- Still nose heavy. Adding tail weight, ended up (temporarily) at 3 7/16”. At that point, I changed to a lighter muffler (after a few calculations, which worked out fine), and I have started over on tail weight, keeping the CG at 3 7/16”.
   However, even if I go 3 ½” as we proceed, that still leaves a 3/16” discrepancy between Line III and what is available.

. . . Or, is something wrong with the L.O. guide, limiting its travel?   D>K Steve

No, I tore into the crashed one, and that is the way the guide is made – two parts, one rear slot, one front slot, and not easy to change (would require cutting into the wing).

Larry Fulwider

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 08:11:58 AM »
Have you even flown the plane with the leadouts set at mid range?  There have been too many Tutor II's out an flying that the leadouts are wrong in my opinion.  Also I think some of these programs complicate things too much. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here