News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:20:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tutor II- easy mods for more fun!  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
Tutor II- easy mods for more fun!
« on: March 09, 2011, 05:15:27 PM »
Well I got a 2nd Tutor II arf- I love my 1st one so much I need one at home and one stashed where I'm working. Have a couplle hundred flight on the 1st one, gonna try and 10X that on this one as a pattern practice ship.

Mods I consider minimum- and don't cost a ton.

Carbon tube push rods and 4-40 ball link hardware throughout controls

Replace leadouts at minimum and bush holes on crank with soft copper tubing, or replace the belcrank too, beef up the mount, use good 4" phenolic crank.

Replace all control surface hinges w/ pin hinges- very easy since slots are cut

1/4" balsa nose doubler skinned with 1/64 ply, mine has a layer of glass cloth wrapping the engine mount area. I also bush my mount holes with CF tubes epoxied in for the mount bolts to pass through and help keep the engine bearers from crushing

A few pics

pic 1- fuse nose being laminated up with 1/4" balsa, 1/64 ply, 1/2 oz fiberglass cloth

Pic 2 - detail view of stack-up under glass / weight.
          The blue at botton is 1st glass plate, then wax paper, the white fuse, the
          balsa-1/64 ply sandwich, the glass cloth and more wax paper/glass/ply/weight

3. flight surfaces, all re- shrunk, new belcrank/ leadouts / flap push rod in, new
    hinges, a couple pin hinges for the flap tip. Just have to finish the flap / elevator
    joiners / horns. Save your self some work and order a good set of profile hardware
    from one of our Supporting Vendors.

Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline John r Kamps

• New Pilot
Re: Tutor II- easy mods for more fun!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »
I'm also working on a Tutor II arf. Replaced hinges with dubro ones. So far i have a cf tube with 4-40 ball links for the flap to elev. I have not cut into the wing yet and was wondering if a 4" bellcrank would fit. What did you use for the bellcrank to flap. Had not thought about beefing the nose,is it that weak. It already feels kinda heavy. What motor are you using,i had planned on a la46(have a new como 51 if i need more power)but that would make it even heavier.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:38:18 PM »
You can change the bellcank / leadouts without cutting the wing. There is a hole in bottom the sheeting with just covering over it that lets you get a screwdriver on the bellcrank bolt. After remoing the bolt, cut the leadouts off at the wingtip end, right at the eyelet.
I use a couple pieces of old .018 lines about 4-5 feet long, for "fish strings" , I superglue them to the ends of the leadout just lay em side by side on wax paper , overlap an inch or so. Fish the old belcrank out through the hole and carefully guide the "fish strings past the leadout quide, the pull all the way through the wing.

I put a 4" suspended unit and added a ply plate on top to hold top of the belcrank pivot shaft. Made a new flap pushrod using 4-40 all thread, carbon tube and ball links.

The 1 oz or so the cheek doubler adds is worth it. It really stiffens up the nose, and will reduce vibration, and help keep the nose from explodinging if you pancake it- nothing will help a straight in hit. The LA .46 should still have no problem, I fly my 1st one at 5,000' in Alburquerque with the LA .46, and it has power to spare.

Pic of the .018 fish lines glued to my new leadouts and ready to pull throuh the wing.
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:00:05 AM »
. What motor are you using,i had planned on a la46(have a new como 51 if i need more power)but that would make it even heavier.

It will haul the mail just fine with a LA 46. Even if it is box stock. Use an 11x4 and let it go between 9600-9800 rpm. Your mileage may very.

And I use dental floss, the unwaxed type to pull the leads out thru.

One more great tip I just learned from Jim Lynch.... use a brass tube that just fits over the axle and bush the wheels. It will sure make them last longer and run smoother.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline John r Kamps

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:06:28 PM »
Thanks for the great info. I have never done a suspended bell crank(old r/c retread returning to roots)was looking at a vector kit and it seems doable. I had planned on using a brodak 3 1/4" it sure would be easier,but i would rather have a 4". I'll have to think about it.                  Thanks John.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 05:22:27 AM »
You can change the bellcrank at a later date, it is still accessible through the hatch on top. If you lleave the stock leadouts / bellcrank in, keep a log book, and open that tlittle cover and inspect the bellcrank/ leadouts every 10 flight sor so.
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 11:08:01 PM »
Thanks for the great info. I have never done a suspended bell crank(old r/c retread returning to roots)was looking at a vector kit and it seems doable. I had planned on using a brodak 3 1/4" it sure would be easier,but i would rather have a 4". I'll have to think about it.                  Thanks John.

Hi John,

I'm 99.999% sure we put a 4" BC in Aaron's Vector ARF.  Don't think there is any "fit issues" in doing it.  If you are looking at building the kit, then it's a "no brainer". ;D

When doing a "kit" or scratch built wing I use a "tensioner spar" inletted into the ribs, right behind the main spar, and extending the width of the sheeting.  Made of 1/8th bass or spruce.  This gives an excellent way of mounting the suspended BC, and it won't pull out of the wing, plus gives a bit of extra strength to the center section with out adding significant weight.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 01:26:43 PM »
Flap / elevator horns rwady to go, I opted for CLC hardware, and everything looks like it is going as planned. I just have to wait for my wife to go to Tuesday Night Girls Night, and I be mixing epoxy for the brass horn bushings supports,
when that is dry I'll glue the control surface hinges in and pin with tooth pics..

Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 05:33:29 PM »
I thought the Tutor II was no longer made.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 06:33:33 PM »
Unfortunately Dick -  you are correct, Tutor II is out of production. I got my new one  from a member here on SH.  The fact that they are almost extinct is one reason I decided to spend some $ and upgrade all the controls, and hope it lasts a while.
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here