News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:29:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tudor ARF, need help  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Tudor ARF, need help
« on: May 18, 2007, 02:04:19 PM »
My son just ordered a Tudor ARF from Tower, not knowing the plane as an ARF, whats the story and mods for this plane? He is going to use a ST.46 that is many years old and NIB. Need all the help i can get. #^ Thanks for all input. #^ Ron.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Tudor ARF, need help
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 02:11:43 PM »
I am no expert, but I got an TutII ARF for my son Ryan.
The only thing I did was change the bell crank and lead outs. I also put in a carbon fiber push rod.
That is it. The rest is box stock. It flys great !!!!

I may come back and change to barrel hinges in the off season.

But that is about it. y1

A real good flyer on a LA .46 box stock.

Paul
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Neal Beekman

• AMA65006 (Neal B.)
  • Commander
  • Neal Beekman (AMA65006)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 02:41:01 PM »
I changed a few items on the ARF ,#1 Pushrod to carbon ,#2 pin hinges ,and re sealed all seams , added poly U to all seams ,the covering stinks . With an stock LA46 its a great flyer. y1  My 2cent's worth. See Ya  NEAL
Neal Beekman

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 09:00:48 AM »
Neal's right....the ST might be a bit feeble for the Tudor, so you might have to shorten the lines to 60' eye to eye from 64'....

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 10:53:22 AM »
Thanks fellows for the help,keep it coming. My son lives in Maryland,so i have a LA.46 and RO/Jett.40 that i will send him,too use. The picture helps a lot. I will have him log on and read all of this help that has come so far. Thanks again. Have Windy down here this week, so i will pick his brain too. Ron. y1 y1 y1

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 10:59:32 AM »
  My only changes were a Dubro 4-40 elevator to flap pushrod with the dubro steel clevis. Dave Brown arrow shaft pushrod, flap to elevator. Again dubro 4-40 steel clevis link on the elevator.  Nothing else changed. Good flying model.  I put maybe two hundred flights on mine before I sold it.  Powered by a Tower 40 stock with one extra head shim.  Plenty of power.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 04:07:19 PM »
As to the monokote or what every the covering is on these arfs. You would think with it being from Top Flite that it would have Top Flite Monokote? Any way Ryan's wing looked real bad when we took it out of the box. The kote was all lose and wrinkles from end to end. I thought we were going to have to recover it. But took out the heat gun and ALL the wrinkles came right out. So don't freak out if the kote has a lot of large wrinkles in it.

I know a guy that recovered a Tutor II and he compete with it and does real well. No one knows it's an ARF.

Paul
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 04:22:34 PM »
As to the monokote or what every the covering is on these arfs. You would think with it being from Top Flite that it would have Top Flite Monokote? Any way Ryan's wing looked real bad when we took it out of the box. The kote was all lose and wrinkles from end to end. I thought we were going to have to recover it. But took out the heat gun and ALL the wrinkles came right out. So don't freak out if the kote has a lot of large wrinkles in it.

I know a guy that recovered a Tutor II and he compete with it and does real well. No one knows it's an ARF.

Paul

Hey, I know that guy, too!  He does a pretty good job of flying it, too.  And he has a ST G51 on it, correct??
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 04:38:09 PM »
I think you are correct Bill.

Louis and his Bear (click on the picture to super size.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 07:04:48 PM by rootbeard »
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 06:55:01 PM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D  H^^
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 07:49:05 PM »
I got 49 and 1/2 flights on mine with la40.great flying airplane except for the 1/2 flight. Suggest you check the bell crank floor to see that its actually glued in.Its thick light ply and they had ca'd it in sorta,it pulled out to the third rib on a wingover and went straight in 7 inches below sealevel.I had 6 large pieces left .I put it back together while I was still mad and the thing actually flies better! Go figure....don't use the hinges with the kit...everyone of them broke when it smacked, or don't smack it. LOL    jim
AMA 89335

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 10:05:11 PM »
Well thanks Paul.  Now everyone knows it is a re-covered ARF.  Guess that makes it an ARC.  I do get a kick out of telling folks at contest that under all that teal and yellow hides a Tutor II.

Zuriel's Tutor II is trimed out very well and is very competitive.  Don't under estimate the Tutor II.  With just a few mods it is capable of flying very competitivly.  In fact is has no problem keeping up with full bodied modern stunt ships!

Mine is getting pretty beat up.  May build another this winter and incorporate some more changes.  Of course the power plant will remain the same.  The ST51 and the Tutor II are a great combo.  Another great engine choice is the LA46.  That is what Zuriel uses.

Mine only cost me $46.00 on Tower Hobbies Scatch and Dent.  Also bought my ST51 on Scratch and Dent for about $40.00.  Some R/C guy had mistakenly orderd the  ST51 C/L version and sent it back because it was missing the Carb.  No duh!!!  So my complete combo cost less than the initial issue price of the Tutor II.  Now of course re-covering and adding Tom Morris controls probably drove my cost up to a little over $100.00.  Considering the fun I have had with the combo, that was a great investment.

Now some would consider showing up at a contest with the Tutor II the same as showing up at a drag race with an old beat up Ford Pinto.  Don't be intimidated.  Trim the Tutor II up and go have fun!!!!!!
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline sadams714441

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 10:27:41 AM »
The only changes I made on mine were to put Tom Morris control set-up in it.  Havent flown it yet.....
Steve Adams

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 11:25:15 AM »
Louis,
Could you give us a run down on the mods you've done already and the ones you would do on future ones?  Thanks.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 05:54:23 PM »
Well thanks Paul.  Now everyone knows it is a re-covered ARF.  Guess that makes it an ARC. 

Sorry Louis if I let the cat out of the bag.
 ???
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 05:57:18 AM »
Sorry Louis if I let the cat out of the bag.
 ???

I don't think Louis was trying to "hide" the fact! **)  He's too honest for that. y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 11:25:19 AM »
Louis, (to your reply#11:)

(Hey, I like that name...)

With the work of stripping, cleaning and re-covering/ re-finihsing the thing, I wouldn't call it ARC. It's no way almost ready to cover...

Does that make it a "Not Almost Ready to Cover" - a NARC?

Great job what ever you call it!
\BEST\LOU

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 09:52:58 AM »
Many thanks for all the help. My son now has some things to look at. y1 Ron.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here