News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:16:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Top Flite TutorII Control Changeout.  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Dan Labine

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Top Flite TutorII Control Changeout.
« on: March 09, 2008, 09:47:46 AM »
I have decided to remove the original controls from my Tutor and ordered a set of controls from CL Central. They look awesome and are miles better than the stock hardware. That being said, how do you go about changing the bellcrank out. Do you have to remove the covering? Do I have to remove the existing plywood bellcrank support? Any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks in advance..
Dan
MAAC 14300

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Top Flite TutorII Control Changeout.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:14:44 PM »
Dan: On the ARF there is plenty of room to make the switch without doing any cutting of the covering. Snip the lines from the old B/C and use medium ca to attach them to the new lead outs, make sure they are good and dry and as small as possible in diameter. Take out the old B/C then pull your old lines out bringing the new ones with. When you get to the adj. lead outs just be careful but they should come through with not to much problem. On the bottom of the wing the is a hole where you can access the B/C bolt.

Good Luck
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Dan Labine

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 12:48:14 PM »
Unfortunately I had to remove the covering to get the forward leadout threaded through the wing. I also had to cut the wingtip off to get the leadout through the adjustable leadout. The bellcrank mounting bolt was stripped and held in with epoxy so it had to go. I installed a 4 inch Morris bellcrank and had to relieve some of the front spar so the bellcrank would not hit it. The original bellcrank had two loops of the leadout wire through the hole and it was already frayed without any use. I am glad I went to the trouble of changing it out. The covering came off so easy I would imagine it wouldn't have lasted long. I also stripped the fuselage and will recover with silkspan and dope.
Dan
MAAC 14300

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 01:34:59 PM »
Well Dan, sounds like Murphy's law had a field day. The important thing is you got it changed out. When I did mine I did eventually strip the covering off and silkspan it. I was also glad I changed out the lead outs as the ones with the ARF were kinked inside the wing.
Leester
ama 830538

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here