Building Tips and technical articles. > ARF'S

Top Flite Nobler - second hand rebuild for CL newbie

(1/6) > >>

Mike Quinn:
Hi

I've inherited a Top Flite Nobler from an RC club mate who does a bit of CL.  He was going to bin it but knew I might be interested in adding to my collection of 3rd hand models as I'm just starting out in CL although lots of experience in FF and RC.

I've stripped all the monokote off it as it was falling off anyway, and repaired what needed repairing.  Covered the wings in medium polyspan and fuse/tail in 15u mylar and Japanese tissue.  It's just about ready to start priming.  Was going to spray KlassKote. 

Thing is it's 48oz (1380g) right now, ready to fly so to speak.  I reckon spray job might take it up to 52oz (not looking for a competition finish ... just a average club Sunday flier finish so to speak).

With an OS40 or 46 ... will this weight still be OK for a model to learn basic F2B schedule on?  Or as an option could I get away with a smaller motor at this weight?

Cheers

Mike

Brett Buck:

--- Quote from: Mike Quinn on October 26, 2020, 10:12:45 AM ---Hi

I've inherited a Top Flite Nobler from an RC club mate who does a bit of CL.  He was going to bin it but knew I might be interested in adding to my collection of 3rd hand models as I'm just starting out in CL although lots of experience in FF and RC.

I've stripped all the monokote off it as it was falling off anyway, and repaired what needed repairing.  Covered the wings in medium polyspan and fuse/tail in 15u mylar and Japanese tissue.  It's just about ready to start priming.  Was going to spray KlassKote. 

Thing is it's 48oz (1380g) right now, ready to fly so to speak.  I reckon spray job might take it up to 52oz (not looking for a competition finish ... just a average club Sunday flier finish so to speak).

With an OS40 or 46 ... will this weight still be OK for a model to learn basic F2B schedule on?  Or as an option could I get away with a smaller motor at this weight?

--- End quote ---

Your finish weight seems about right. At this point, it is going to come out how it comes out.

I would use a decently powerful engine, without knowing which OS 40/46 you are talking about (which one is in it now?) hard to say if it will be a good combination. I would not consider a 25 or similar. If you really know what you are doing, maybe, I flew 1000ish flights with a 48 ounce Nobler and a Fox 35, but drag will be your enemy here.

This is not an ideal combination to learn to fly stunt, it may perform well enough, but is far too complicated and hard-to-repair. Still, since you have it, carry on.

Brett

Ken Culbertson:
Anyone that puts 1,000 flights on a Nobler with a Fox 35 disserves an award for something but that combination did win Worlds once and I confess to having endured the same, just not all with the Fox.

I am going to second Brett. IMHO the Green Box does not become a modern PA with more power.  I would go with something that is more powerful than the Fox 35 but a bit less than a 46LA.  A 40 would be my choice.  That will be enough to overcome the extra weight (The Nobler performed best at (38-42 Oz).  My weapon of choice "back in the day" was the McCoy 40 seconded by the OS35s.  A modern 25 puts out about the same power.  I would avoid the 40LA.  It is not the same engine as the 46LA and the 46 is really too much.  We have quite a few around here and they all fly too fast.  The Nobler is a tight corner slow ship.  5.5 is a fast lap. Speed it up and the flaps become a problem but then slow it down at 52oz and it will bite you.  I learned the pattern on a Green Box and Fox 35 but it was State of the Art when I did it.

Good luck, bottom line with the right power weight it will get you where you want to go but when you get there and have learned the pattern get into something current.  They fly very differently.

Ken

Tim Wescott:
What Brett and Ken said.  I've had some success toning down a 46LA by using a smaller venturi, but then you still have that hunk of iron out front.

I know that a Magnum 36 XLS works pretty good on that weight of airplane, with an APC 11x4 or 11.5x4 (or a Thunder Tiger 11 x 4.5 -- but those are hard to come by these days).  I don't know if there's more currently available equivalents, though.  Note that it's a lot more engine than a Fox 35, just as a modern 3.6 liter V-6 is way more engine than a 1932 Ford flathead, even though they're the same size.

fred krueger:
I used a Magnum 36XLS in mine.  Really good combination.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version