Building Tips and technical articles. > ARF'S

Top Flite Nobler - second hand rebuild for CL newbie

<< < (2/6) > >>

Mike Quinn:
Hi

Thanks for the feedback. I assembled the model with an OS 46LA and 11x5 APC prop in order to check balance point.  With an E3030 silencer it came out slightly nose heavy at the 2 1/2"  recommended CG.

Replaced the flaps winch were pretty warped and super soft straight grain.

Then I thought it would be a good idea to follow some of the threads in here and swap out the control system.  Will use a suspended bellcrank (not the one shown), new flap and elevator horns, ball links and carbon rods etc. 

Are the recommended (in the manual) bellcrank/horn throws OK?

Thanks

Mike

Craig Beswick:
Hey Mike,
that is a lot of engine for a Top Flite ARF, but, as you are rebuilding/covering/painting the model it is likely to come out a lot heavier than original. Therefore the bigger engine will probably be okay. You could try a tongue muffler to lose a bit of nose weight. But, I do agree with Ken, an LA40 would be my suggestion. Or, God help me for mentioning it an Evolution 36! It was too much engine in my Nobler ARF prior to my crash but since the rebuild, recover and finishing, it handles beautifully with 5.1 second laps.

I put Tom Morris controls in mine. I don't recall if they came with horns or just the bellcrank, leadouts, pushrods and ball links. I am pretty sure it was standard 1" to 3/4" flap to elevator but I am not 100%. Russell from Okie Air took over from Tom, he is great to do business with so I am sure if you give him a call he will help you out with control throws.

Let us know how it is going and don't be shy to ask questions. So much good help and support here.

Craig

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: Mike Quinn on October 31, 2020, 04:18:10 PM ---Are the recommended (in the manual) bellcrank/horn throws OK?

--- End quote ---
I am not sure what the manual says, I don't have mine anymore.  Mine came stock 1:1.  I changed it to 2:3 after flying it and put a Morris set in.  That is a personal thing.  It flies fine at 1:1 but I don't like where the tangent is in a turn or corner so I change it.  3" crank is fine for this size plane.  I set it up to give me 30 degrees flap with 60 degrees rotation of the bellcrank then set the elevator linkage to give me 45 degrees elevator.  From what I can tell I use about half of that do do the pattern but we have some rather strange downdrafts here and  having some extra control helps.

I flew mine with an OS35s with great results then converted it to Electric with a 2826/12 which is a 46 equivalent.  It was overpowered at a decent RPM and didn't perform well at 5.1.  I went to longer lines and got it to a 5.5 but a little plane on long lines is just wrong.

Have fun - Ken

Mike Quinn:
Hi

I've actually got an RC OS 40FP I could put a CL venturi/NVA set up on.  I'm guessing this would be an option too?

Cheers

Mike

Dave Hull:
Mike,

Keep looking at the weight.  A few comments:

--The CG will shift back when paint is added
--The OS 46LA is essentially the same weight as the OS 40LA (Listed as 9.6 and 9.5 oz. sans muffler)
--The OS 46LA is a more friendly motor for CL than the 40LA. I ran the 40 in a Noblarf myself without issues, but may have gotten lucky on all the setup details
--The OS 40FP (8.22 oz. plus 1.7 for the 762 muffler) can be made to work, but box stock many guys have trouble getting a stable run. Setup matters here, starting with the venturi size. If you want to run the FP, go watch a guy who sez he knows how to make them run and see if you agree
--The Fox .35 Stunt will fly a light Noblarf, but becomes a challenge in much of a breeze. I'm flying one like that right now.  I had to add considerable nose weight to make things happy.
--If you change mufflers around, you can expect the run characteristics to change. They may be better---or worse. So saving weight on the muffler is not a completely independent choice.
--I have had two igNoblarfs and both had 1:1 controls. They fly, or flew in the case of the OS powered one, better than I do. I found they turned quicker outsides than insides. I suspect that has more to do with my range of motion of my hand than the plane.

If you are still learning maneuvers my thought is to run whut you brung. There are a lot worse choices and combinations....

The Divot

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version