News:

• April 16, 2024, 02:02:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TOP FLIGHT NOBLER ARF SALE  (Read 7217 times)

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
TOP FLIGHT NOBLER ARF SALE
« on: January 28, 2018, 03:11:04 PM »
A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT :
TOWER HAS REDUCED THEM $20 to $ 109 and if you give them the coupon code on their website, it brings it down $10 more and  $15 more if you are a Tower  Club member.
 Plus, FREE SHIPPING.
Sale ends in a week.
  THE CHEAPEST UKIE ARF ? Maybe
Enough has been said about this ARF, so there you go and please don't shoot the messenger. Tower likely gone in a few months and along with them, a supply of these.

Offline Kevin Muckleroy

• Lieutenant
Re: TOP FLIGHT NOBLER ARF SALE
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:35:05 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Needed to use my Tower Bucks up. Delivered $70
Really have no need for it but what the heck, good deal.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 06:13:26 PM »
Kevin :
Glad to have helped. Where can you get that much fun for $70 ?
Frank

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 07:37:19 PM »
With proper set up they are very fine fliers.Got two of em'!

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:00:10 AM »
Yup and Yup again. On the so so Winter and Spring days , I bring mine out for play and leave the hangar queens at home.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 05:18:53 PM »
Has anybody tried to shoehorn a Max 46 into one of these?  I need something quick.  I would prefer a Cardinal but I can't find anyone that has the ARF.
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 05:56:03 PM »
Has anybody tried to shoehorn a Max 46 into one of these?  I need something quick.  I would prefer a Cardinal but I can't find anyone that has the ARF.

Are you talking a LA46?
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 08:32:04 PM »
FX
Are you talking a LA46?

I wish - It is an FX
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 02:55:50 PM »

Update - I have the Nobler on the way and I need some advice.  Tower's price and free shipping made it a no brainer.

What I don't know is how big a tank should I order for the OD .46FX.  I have a bunch of old 4oz uniflow's that I assume are too small.
I don't plan for this plane to be anything other than something to fly till I can build a real one so my other questions are to anyone who has one - will the stock controlls (bellcrank, horns, etc. hold up for, say 50 flights?  Should I go to 62-65' lines so I can let it fly a bit faster?

Thanks guys
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 07:30:23 PM »
You may want to reconsider your choice of  engine . Besides being too powerful and heavy for the Nobler ARF( the motor mounts not up to the task), the sheer size will make fitting the cowl a pain.
Enhancing the model with a better controls, adjustable leadouts and a tip weight box will ensure success. Don't limit your expectations to 50 flights.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 07:53:38 PM »
I agree with Frank .That 46 is too much engine. With ball bearing mills in that ARF lead is needed in the tail to get them to turn nicely.  Why not a lighter weight engine?

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 09:43:46 PM »
Just as a comparison, my friend dennis flys his nobler arf with a 25fx. The 46 would be quite a bit.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 06:34:59 AM »
Just saw on rcgroups.com a NIB Testors McCoy 29 (Series 21) controline engine . $35 inc shipping.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 11:22:49 AM »
Just saw on rcgroups.com a NIB Testors McCoy 29 (Series 21) controline engine . $35 inc shipping.
You would have to shave a bit of the engine mounts to fit that big case in there.  Got any other choices?
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 12:10:08 PM »
Haven't held one in hand in many years. I was web surfing and it caught my eye from a price point. I also saw a very nice, low time LA 40 R/C with box that has yet to receive a bid -opening at $30.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 12:39:58 PM »
Haven't held one in hand in many years. I was web surfing and it caught my eye from a price point. I also saw a very nice, low time LA 40 R/C with box that has yet to receive a bid -opening at $30.
I'd get the LA40 before the Series 21
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 03:14:05 PM »
I'd get the LA40 before the Series 21

Agree, obviously.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 10:42:00 PM »
I agree with Frank .That 46 is too much engine. With ball bearing mills in that ARF lead is needed in the tail to get them to turn nicely.  Why not a lighter weight engine?

OK, the jury is in and the verdict appears to be unanimous so I am going to do something totally out of character and take your advice.  I still have a Max .35 that Art Adamisin reworked for me a really long time ago when I still had hair.  It ran beautifully the last time I cranked it up. I hate adding weight just to get the correct C/G.  Concentrated weight doesn't behave well in corners.   So with a bigger engine, bigger tank, bigger muffler and a nose that is already too short all adds up to - you are right. 
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 06:37:46 AM »
Good plane for the money.
I am on my second one. Use it to compete in Classic. Have gotten Third Place with it against Jim Lee! Great guy he is.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 02:27:43 PM »
Well it is finished and has a couple or rather spooky flights on it.  If you build one DO NOT under any circumstances use the Top Flight clevises unless you solder them in place.  Both of mine stripped on the 2nd flight.  There is wisdom in only putting 2oz of fuel in for a test flight!  Ever try and land with 3x flaps to up elevator and no down?  The locknut and my years flying sailplanes saved the plane.  Took the opportunity to change the linkage to give me more elevator and less flap.  Should cure that wierd feeling that the plane is rotating from the tail.  Two other things I found disturbing.  Once I had it trimmed to do a triangle the leadout's positions were just wrong.  Don't wait to see if they will work, they won't.  Put in adjustable ones at the get go.  The other was the tank.  Not a bad tank but the stopper fits so tight that in is almost impossible to put it in or take it out.  One other comment - make sure you have a source for "sapphire blue" monocoat.  I had to drive 35 miles to find a hobby shop that had it.  They really should put about a foot of it in the kit.

The best part was that went together quickly and flies true without any trim.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 06:54:04 PM »
On both of mine they needed tail weight to really turn well.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 06:40:53 AM »
On both of mine they needed tail weight to really turn well.
Mine too.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 10:47:50 AM »
Mine flew great with the Fox 35 Stunt as long as the uni-flo vent stayed in place.   No weight added front or rear. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Matthew Brown

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 06:09:32 PM »
I was trying to finish mine up this weekend but have lost some of the hardware and the fuel tank. Before I order a new tank from tower, is there a better choice? I had several conventional stunt tanks but they are all too wide for the fuse. I was also concerned about adjusting tank height with the plastic tank. A few other posts I found mentioned this issue but never found any replies saying anything about it.

Thanks, Matt

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 08:46:33 PM »
I was trying to finish mine up this weekend but have lost some of the hardware and the fuel tank. Before I order a new tank from tower, is there a better choice? I had several conventional stunt tanks but they are all too wide for the fuse. I was also concerned about adjusting tank height with the plastic tank. A few other posts I found mentioned this issue but never found any replies saying anything about it.

Thanks, Matt
I have the stock tank and couldn't get it to run even right side up and up side down.  I ended up shimming the engine down with aluminum pads since I couldn't raise the tank up cause it was already hitting the engine bearers.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:32:56 AM by #Liner »
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Matthew Brown

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2018, 09:01:40 PM »
I have the stock tank and couldn't get it to run even right side up and up side down.  I ended up shimming the down with aluminum pads since I couldn't raise the tank up cause it was already hitting the engine bearers.

That’s kind of what I was afraid of. May have to get out the tin snips and make one to fit.

Matt

Online Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 07:57:03 AM »
Mine flew great with the Fox 35 Stunt as long as the uni-flo vent stayed in place.   No weight added front or rear. D>K

Hi John.
Please explain the setting for the uniflo vent, I am blocked with stock tank and the conventional NVA 1/2" height in the Stalker 46 ST....

Thanks in advance.

Manuel.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 08:34:34 AM »
That’s kind of what I was afraid of. May have to get out the tin snips and make one to fit.

Matt
The post was supposed to say shimming the engine down with aluminum pads.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2018, 12:50:01 PM »
Chris did you try spinning the tank stopper to different positions to get the engine to see the feed line at different heights? I never had a problem with the stock plastic Nobler tank.....Skip

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2018, 01:30:11 PM »
I had my external copper tube on the side of the plane up by the engine with a screw holding it in place.  It would come loose once in a while and rotate facing towards the rear of the plane.   The old Fox would go super rich.     HB~>
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2018, 02:51:21 PM »
Chris did you try spinning the tank stopper to different positions to get the engine to see the feed line at different heights? I never had a problem with the stock plastic Nobler tank.....Skip
No I didn't,  once I shimmed it and it ran perfect I didn't want to mess with it.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Matthew Brown

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2018, 02:54:36 PM »

So it’s not the center of tank that needs to be adjusted but rather the height of the pick up tube?

Matt

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2018, 01:14:56 PM »
Other than a stopper so tight that you had to use a bearing puller to get it out my only problem with the stock tank was the position of the uniflow inside the tank.   I never got it to perfect but I was almost there when I got so fed up with the stopper that I pulled it and put in a Du-Bro of similar size.  There is about 1/2" difference in the height of the pickup and the needle (3/8 with the Du-Bro) valve and it runs perfectly upright and inverted all the way to the end. The height of the pickup tube never seemed to be a problem with either tank which flies in the face of everything I thought I knew about tanks.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 08:46:18 PM »
There's a fine Intermediate flyer from the greater Pittsburgh,PA area who has put an LA .46 into his ARF Nobler and it runs and flies excellently! With this combination he won his class at the NVCL Stunt Fest last September! This may sound like too much mojo but believe me it really performed quite well!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2018, 02:26:45 PM »
There's a fine Intermediate flyer from the greater Pittsburgh,PA area who has put an LA .46 into his ARF Nobler and it runs and flies excellently! With this combination he won his class at the NVCL Stunt Fest last September! This may sound like too much mojo but believe me it really performed quite well!

Phil Spillman

I was going to try with an 46FX which is way too heavy.  Mine is performing beautifully now on the MAX35s.  I did get frustrated with the cowling and built up one that you don't have to remove the prop, spinner, muffler, needle valve and all of the plumbing to take it off.  Stuck in a Brodak uniflow metal tank during the operation.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2018, 01:24:35 PM »
Follow Up - I was stupid and did not totally replace the controls.  It flew fine after fixing the links right up to when it didn't.  If you don't want to be scared out of ever buying a Top Flight product again, don't open up the wing and actually look at the leadouts.   If this is the way the Chineese build their real airplanes we have nothing to fear.  They are clamped with these huge box shaped crimps.  Strong but it is a disaster looking for a fool to trigger it.  I was that fool last Sat.  I got hit with a wind shift (it is Texas, that happens a lot) smack in the middle of the v-8 and lost tension.  When I got it back the crimp on the up line snagged on a rib locking me in full down and I am yanking on the up line making it worse.  I finally gave it some more down and it popped lose.  Thank God the only witness to my stupidity was my stooge.

The Bellcrank is OK for a metal crank but the leadouts are a cruel joke.  Between having to rebuild the nose, replace the tank and now this - I have learned my lesson - no more ARF'S.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2018, 02:54:14 PM »
Ken , don't get rid of the wing when the rest has gone to Tera Firma Heaven. Replace the B/C and lead outs and build a good fuse. I did this in 09 with a Nobler Arf Wing.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2018, 03:15:42 PM »
Ken , don't get rid of the wing when the rest has gone to Tera Firma Heaven. Replace the B/C and lead outs and build a good fuse. I did this in 09 with a Nobler Arf Wing.

Plan to do just that.  About 1/2 of the "classics" up to about 1970 used a Nobler wing.  This one is straight so It will get used again!
I learned the pattern on a Nobler wing stuck into a profile body way back when you could buy balsa wood at a hobby shop.

Yours looks better than mine did!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here