News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:53:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tip Weight In Tutor II?  (Read 944 times)

Offline Dallas Healey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Tip Weight In Tutor II?
« on: March 11, 2009, 04:11:31 AM »
I am kit bashing a Tutor II. The usual stuff like resculpture of the nose for streamlining, aluminium bearer pads, outthrust wedges, blind nuts, uniflow metal tank with height adjusting slots, double fibreglass covering of the weak fuselage, 1/32 ply covering on the stab, full control changeout with phenolic 4" bellcrank, ball-links, CF rods, Tom Morris horns, Dubro hinges, wing mounted gear, wheel pants, rabe rudder, tapered section elevators and genuine monokote covering. Yes maybe I should have just built one from scratch!

I am considering fitting a tip weight box. The outer wing is already heavier than the inner wing but I can't see a metal tip weight without cutting the tip up first. Is there a metal tip weight I can replace with the weight box or has heavier wood been used in the outer wing and so the tip weight box will be useless?

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Tip Weight In Tutor II?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 06:29:47 PM »
I used a Tutor II wing on a Mustang I made and I just added a tip weight box. I also replaced the bell crank etc. and still needed about 3/4 oz tip weight.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 12:22:25 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to build a new plane from scratch?  I have seen several Tutor II's that the control system was the only thing changed and they flew great.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dallas Healey

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 02:18:42 AM »
There are definitely good things to be said for the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) but many people in this hobby enjoy doing stuff just because you can. Beside that I am not aware of a Tutor II kit or plans being available anyway.

I have answered my own question after digging into the wingtip to find a 75mm length of steel 8 x 8 square rod weighing 41 grams. There is now a weight box in it's place. I reckon the tip weight was going to be a bit excessive and at least I can adjust it now even if it ends up being close to the original weight.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here