News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:25:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tigre 60 Strega ARF  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Tigre 60 Strega ARF
« on: January 19, 2007, 08:44:29 PM »
Flew the Strega today on top of three inches of sleet and rain, First flight very rich on purpose and was flying 6.6 second laps per Tom Martin, only did lazy eights and loops. Second flight little leaner and 6.o second laps, did all but vertical maneuvers and clover. Third flight 5.o and did all the pattern, needs weight taken out of tip and flap elevator adjustment, will try again if the snow holds off till tomorrow afternoon.
Joe Gilbert

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Tigre 60 Strega ARF
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 09:15:02 PM »
Thanks for the update Joe. What prop are you using on your ST60 to haul the big bird around. Sounds like you are pretty close to getting it trimmed already.  Sounds exciting!!!
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Joe Gilbert

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 08:38:40 AM »
Started out with a old top flight 13x5.5 that  is a 4.85 to 5 pitch by gauge, really think going to need more pitch but this is a new engine and letting it run easy for now ,25 percent all castor during break in. Sixty foot eye to eye lines for now. The plane will be good but, heck every one already knows this. Planning on flying fifty or so flights and then blunt the leading edge to see if I can tell the difference?
Joe Gilbert

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 09:51:54 AM »
Hi Joe,

Just thinking out loud here.........

How about the same set up that is giving the 5.0 laps on 60' E-E and going to 63'-64' E-E?  If the engine run is good, it will "slow" things down a *little* (3, 4 10ths sec) with out slowing down the plane's airspeed.  Also might not have to take out the tip weight.  You'll have a bigger hemisphere to fly on and maneuvers will not be quite as quick.

Just some thoughts......

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Joe Gilbert

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 11:43:50 AM »
 Bill good ideas, plane right now is flying to aerodynamically just to fast at the five sec. and going to longer lines sure would have more drag, so might half to go to longer lines, but for now have not found sweet spot of engine. I like to trim to the shorstest lines that I can work with. On the first flights I like to keep them short for beter line tension. We are just getting started on the trimming. Still half lots to learn abouit it and thanks for the ideas. Sleeting and snow comming so no flying today darn it. Mabby arter Church tomorrow some of us are going to field and have coffee if nothing esle.
Joe Gilbert

Offline catdaddy

• catdaddy
  • AMA Member
  • Commander
  • The Dude Abides
    • Tulsa Gluedobber Control Line Club
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 01:22:47 PM »
Bill good ideas, plane right now is flying to aerodynamically just to fast at the five sec. and going to longer lines sure would have more drag, so might half to go to longer lines, but for now have not found sweet spot of engine. I like to trim to the shorstest lines that I can work with. On the first flights I like to keep them short for beter line tension. We are just getting started on the trimming. Still half lots to learn abouit it and thanks for the ideas. Sleeting and snow comming so no flying today darn it. Mabby arter Church tomorrow some of us are going to field and have coffee if nothing esle.

Joe,
Been trying to get a hold of you all week. I've got some more money for the club treasury. Don't you want it? :)
regards,
Rick"catdaddy"Blankenship

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 10:11:14 PM »
It was still a bit ice covered Sunday but with mild wind and the temps near 40 it was decent enough to get in a few flights. I got in 4 flights on the Streak and Joe got in a couple on the Strega.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 06:25:09 PM »
Willis, JCT, I guess we were pansies for not flying in the snow and sleet in Virginia yesterday!!!  Those pictures are pretty hard corps!

Did the covering on the ARF react to the cold???  No sudden rash of wrinkles?
Steve

Offline Joe Gilbert

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 08:09:27 PM »
So far so good the cold didn't seem to hurt anything. Had to put sand on white stuff to keep from slipping, nice thick air, all in all kind of a Neat day.
Joe Gilbert

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 08:55:25 PM »
Willis, JCT, I guess we were pansies for not flying in the snow and sleet in Virginia yesterday!!!  Those pictures are pretty hard corps!

Did the covering on the ARF react to the cold???  No sudden rash of wrinkles?

Naw, Steve, I just think the guys from Broken Arrow, OK are just more acclimated to that sort of thing! **)

Maybe they would have more problems that we do flying in our 115 heat index late summer weather? :D

BTW:  Joe, glad to see it's coming together for you.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 11:00:17 AM »

Maybe they would have more problems that we do flying in our 115 heat index late summer weather?

Bill,

Have you ever been to Oklahoma in August?

De Hill
De Hill

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 12:21:57 PM »
Hey De; Bill should have been in Claremore OK for the SAM Champs a few years ago. Well over 100 deg. with high humidity. It was hot!! BTW Got a call from another new Spark flyer from California last night. Hope we have a big turnout for ign. at VSC. I know of a few others that I believe are new if they get their act together. We will have FUN. #^
Jim Kraft

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here