News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:47:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Third Flight on SCORE....ViDEO  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Third Flight on SCORE....ViDEO
« on: July 31, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »
The SCORE has been hanging there on my wall taunting me for a while. And the Magnum .52 needed some more time to break in so I grabbed it to give it the third flight ever.
Truly like the way it flies and comes out on bottoms. Tracks real good.
Motor was rich but kicked in mightily when needed.
Now I got a hankerin' to fly it a bit more as it has been a reserve plane.
Shug

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:37:59 AM by Shug Emery »
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Third Flight on TF SCORE....ViDEO
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »
      Hey Shug:

Your vid is very timely as I recently picked up a new Score and a used ASP .61 engine for in it.  I have several questions that I hope you will answer:

1. Did you reinforce any part of the plane? If so, where and how.

2. Do you fly it as a take apart or have you affixed the wing permanently? 

3. What size lines are you using?

4. Size of prop?

5. What modifications if any did you make to the airplane?  I am not enthralled by the looks of the engine mount/firewall.

6. It has been strongly suggested that I purchase an aluminum one piece engine mount. Good idea or not?

7. I am as excited about getting this plane in the air as a girl in her first strapless would be.

8. Any other advice?

Great vid!

Be well,

Frank McCune

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
Third Flight on TF SCORE....ViDEO
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 01:57:46 PM »
let me  see......
Shug

Hey Shug:

Your vid is very timely as I recently picked up a new Score and a used ASP .61 engine for in it.  I have several questions that I hope you will answer:

1. Did you reinforce any part of the plane? If so, where and how. Yes, the firewall and nose. Used some balsa, light ply and epoxy.

2. Do you fly it as a take apart or have you affixed the wing permanently? Fixed wing.

3. What size lines are you using? 018.  62'...for now. May go longer later.

4. Size of prop? 12x4 Xoar wooden prop

5. What modifications if any did you make to the airplane?  I am not enthralled by the looks of the engine mount/firewall. None

6. It has been strongly suggested that I purchase an aluminum one piece engine mount. Good idea or not? I used a two part mount

7. I am as excited about getting this plane in the air as a girl in her first strapless would be.

8. Any other advice? Just get it straight. Put in a cool pilot.

Great vid!

Be well,

Frank McCune
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:30:56 PM by Shug Emery »
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 08:09:42 PM »
You the man Shug, but how come maneuvers don't look that good from the center? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:11:59 PM »
You the man Shug, but how come maneuvers don't look that good from the center? H^^

Dunno.
Maybe look better from outside. Or above.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 09:07:34 AM »
Frank....here is a thread I posted when I first got it.....https://stunthanger.com/smf/arf's/top-flite-score-arf-coming-along/msg452151/#msg452151
Reckon I did replace bellcrank. Got the Score with some missing parts. No control horns. Had Tom Morris make some up if I recall.

Hey Shug:

1. Did you reinforce any part of the plane? If so, where and how.

2. Do you fly it as a take apart or have you affixed the wing permanently? 

3. What size lines are you using?

4. Size of prop?

5. What modifications if any did you make to the airplane?  I am not enthralled by the looks of the engine mount/firewall.

6. It has been strongly suggested that I purchase an aluminum one piece engine mount. Good idea or not?

8. Any other advice?

Great vid!

Be well,

Frank McCune
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline TDM

• Captain
Re: Third Flight on SCORE....ViDEO
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 01:15:11 PM »
I had a score too.
Reinforce the firewall.
60 is a good size for the model the problem is there is no room for a 6 oz tank. I did a 6 oz clunk tank with uniflow soldered to the clunk. You might get away with a thicker custom tank for it. Another problem with the tank was uneven motor run inverted and right side up due to limited tank positioning in the nose. I could not raise it no more.
The landing gear is weakly installed. I got a little bump on landing and it came loose. I think is a common problem. Cut the covering on the bottom of the wing and re-glue. If you do that then I would go the distance and add a hardwood block to the top of the wing and run the gear wire all the way to the top of the wing and make it bulletproof.
68 feet .018 lines will work.
I put the motor to 0 offset on my bird and it flew good.
And oh yes the ground clearance is too tight I had to go to 3 blade prop to load the motor and even then it was not enough load on it, so if you decide to fix the gear make one that will add some ground clearance.
Here is myself on a fun flight fooling around.

Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 05:26:22 PM »
I had a score too.
Reinforce the firewall.
60 is a good size for the model the problem is there is no room for a 6 oz tank. I did a 6 oz clunk tank with uniflow soldered to the clunk. You might get away with a thicker custom tank for it. Another problem with the tank was uneven motor run inverted and right side up due to limited tank positioning in the nose. I could not raise it no more.
The landing gear is weakly installed. I got a little bump on landing and it came loose. I think is a common problem. Cut the covering on the bottom of the wing and re-glue. If you do that then I would go the distance and add a hardwood block to the top of the wing and run the gear wire all the way to the top of the wing and make it bulletproof.
68 feet .018 lines will work.
I put the motor to 0 offset on my bird and it flew good.
And oh yes the ground clearance is too tight I had to go to 3 blade prop to load the motor and even then it was not enough load on it, so if you decide to fix the gear make one that will add some ground clearance.
Here is myself on a fun flight fooling around.

I did reinforce the nose and other areas. Bought the Score for $20...missing some parts.
 Since it had no landing gear I made longer landing gear.
Will add longer lines as I fly it more.
It is a fun flyer. Enjoy your too...looks good with you flying it.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 07:36:56 PM »
I'm using a 6 oz. Sullivan flex tank in my Score.
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 08:38:10 PM »
Traian, very nice flight. Good intersections all the way through. Nice engine run and fuel management as well. Thanks for showing us what you got.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 06:27:40 AM »
Jim from memory I think I used the exact same thing.
Thanks for the flight comments guise but really listen carefully to the motor as it goes to 4 in horizontal and in maneuvers it brakes to 2 and stays there. Sometimes it does a 4-2-4. It worked fine one way but not so fine the other way because i could not adjust the tank better. I used a 5 pitch prop because I did not want it to speed up like a rocket. And honestly the model is on the heavy side and I was flying around the problems.
It would not be a bad idea to do electric on this one to eliminate all the shortcomings of the RC like design for this model. I would actually encourage you to do the change in that direction. For beginners I would encourage to go with electric anywise.

I am working on a new bird now called REvolutions. Revolution with Evolution and 20th century technology (no balsa).
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 03:52:05 PM »
Traian,

Thanks for that great video. You fly quite well.

Camera being stationary offers better viewing.

You did a good job!!

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here