News:

• May 09, 2024, 02:28:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Mike Griffin ARC Ringmaster  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
The Mike Griffin ARC Ringmaster
« on: July 02, 2009, 09:24:50 PM »
Mike Griffin put together some ARC Ringmasters for sale. I got one. I figured it would be a quick put together for a trainer for the grandkids.
I received the kit and Mike did a very nice job. Well packed, nothing was broken. All high quality components including Morris bc and lead outs already installed. Tip wight box and adj. lead-out also installed. Wing was straight as were the elev & stab. Entire plane had two coats of butyrate dope. Made it very easy to finish. 
Grandson helped with the assembly and picked the colors. Transparent green monokote for wing and yellow & red Lusterkote for fuse and tail.
OS .25,  10x6 APC & uniflow tank. Entire assembly took 2 days, most of that waiting for paint to dry. Total weight; 25 oz. No flight tests yet, but ground runs very nice.
For a first go at an ARC, Mike did an excellent job. I really liked the quality of wood and hardware. Nice job. Maybe a bit expensive, but it's made in the USA! If you need more information, you can contact Mike via email: ringmasterarc@gmail.com, or on this forum.
Jim
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The Mike Griffin ARC Ringmaster
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:51:18 AM »
I like the color scheme.  But, I suggest you take the 10-6 off and put on a 10-4.  Also for training put on a small tank or short tank it.  Run the little 25 on the rich side or just lean enough to fly.  From experience about 20 to 25 laps and they will be dizzy until about the third or fourth flight.  The little Brodak 25 on Bodak Magician is giving about long run time on 1 3/4 ounces of fuel for the grandson.  Most of all don't yell if they make a mistake. 

Also after they make that first solo flight give a lot of pats on the back and good job remarks.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 08:42:03 PM »
Looks good Jim !!!

Only problem is it is on a stooge. We need to change that.

Paul
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 08:59:36 AM »
Nothing wrong with stooge if used properly.  In my teenage years it was the only way I could fly.  Now for the human stooge is convincing them not to touch needle valve and too keep hands out of the prop.  DOC Holliday S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 08:01:34 AM »
Jim - listen to the Doc- and I'll back him up. The O.S. .25 will spin that 10X6 as well as a .35 Stunt, and if it goes lean that sucker will start moving out in a hurry! I fly the same combo ( but heavier from repairs ) with a 3 oz plastic clunk tank on uniflow / muffler pressure.

3 oz of fuel in a rich 2 cycle run is good for over 5 min. I've had the muffler pressure line come off and the engine leaned out into a peaked 2 cycle- with a 10 X 4 it had me hopping to keep up, and it ran forever, a 10X6 will would have spun a beginner into the ground.

Good looking plane- enjoy it with your grandson.

Glad to here the kids can handle it- I just noticed that yours has an LA on it and mine is an FP. Don't know the amount of difference it makes- but I fly mine on 60" lines, maybe if I switched to 52' I would be able to run it  bit richer, and still have it hang out there on the lines.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:04:14 AM by Bill Heher »
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 05:47:18 PM »
I changed to a Brodak Y&O 10x4. Plane runs nice in rich 2, holds line tension and not too fast on 52' lines. The topped off  3oz tank gets about 4 1/2-5 minute runs. Run with just 2 oz in gives a 3 minute run. It does spin pretty fast at tank end, but that doesn't last too long.  Turned out to be a very nice combo. I fly it fine, grandkids love it! We have about 10 flights on it. They like it much better than the ARF Flite Streak.
Jim
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here