Building Tips and technical articles. > ARF'S

T/F Score Scratch and Dent another one 1/21/07

(1/5) > >>

Leester:
Tower has a T/F Score ARF missing canopy and cowling for $71.50 reg. $119.99 you must be a Super Saver member.
Tower has another Score this one is 84.00 and is missing the flaps only.

rogerpion:
We don't need no steenkin' memberships!  I just scored that Score!  Less than 81 bucks shipped.

I think one of the things that makes the Score look a little weird is the nose slopes down in front, but since I have no cowl to worry about, and the engine mounts are not beams, I have the opportunity to raise the engine so any eventual cowl that I make will have a more straight top line.  Theoretically, how would raising the engine's thrust line affect the plane's performance?

Leester:
Glad you got it. When I saw it they had for SS members only. Let us see the cowl you make and if repositioning the engine effects it. I saw somewhere a flyer made it open cockpit with just a windscreen, looked cool.  Good luck

Bob Reeves:

--- Quote from: Roger Pion on December 14, 2006, 04:39:59 PM ---We don't need no steenkin' memberships!  I just scored that Score!  Less than 81 bucks shipped.

I think one of the things that makes the Score look a little weird is the nose slopes down in front, but since I have no cowl to worry about, and the engine mounts are not beams, I have the opportunity to raise the engine so any eventual cowl that I make will have a more straight top line.  Theoretically, how would raising the engine's thrust line affect the plane's performance?
--- End quote ---

Could easily upset the vertical CG, I don't like the snub nose look either  but will live with it as my Score is really nothing more than a test bed. Someone posted it needs the wheel pants for the weight below the vertical CG to balance properly, raising the engine would make it worse. I did not install the wheel pants but have not checked the vertical CG to see if it is off, could be.

I installed my engine sideways which in effect would be the same as raising the engine. The only way to really tell is to hang it by the leadouts and see if the wing hangs vertical. If I don't get involved in something else tomorrow morning I will check mine and see how close it is.

One problem you might have trying to raise the engine is getting the blind nuts installed below the tank floor. You will see what I am talking about when you get it. If I was going that far I would probably replace the molded top from the canopy forward with a block and start carving.

Bob Reeves:
Not real good news, I checked the vertical CG on my Score this morning and I had to hang 7 ounces on the wheels in order to get the wing vertical. I really should have LOWERED the engine but not worth doing it now.

This will tend to make the outboard wing fly low assuming the flaps and wing are straight. It can somewhat be compensated for with a flap tweak but not really the best solution, see the P-40 thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version