News:

• May 13, 2024, 06:17:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Here's what the ARF Legacy looks like  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Here's what the ARF Legacy looks like
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »
The Brodak Legacy appears to share the design details of the SV11, which is good. The overall quality of the wood is good to excellent. They seem to be using CA glue in a lot of places, not the hot glue we used to see. Motor mounts are a decent hardwood. The belly pan is tied to the fuselage with ply plates at front and rear, rather than just a butt joint that created a stress riser in older ARFs. The fuselage has 1/16 ply doublers that extend past the TE of the wing saddle. Not sure what kind of film is used for covering but is is applied very well. The control system is Morris clone, and the pushrods appear to be CF, not fiberglass as the manual says. Ball links and threaded ends all look good. This will be the first ARF I have seen where I will not replace any control components. Even the hinges are good, DuBro clones. I think the control parts were upgraded since the manual was prepared.

Online Norvaldo

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: Here's what the ARF Legacy looks like
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 04:38:12 PM »
Keep us posted.. Any idea why a smaller engine than in the SV-11 is recommended?
Wing area is the same...
Norvald
Norvald Olsvold

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 05:42:43 PM »
Keep us posted.. Any idea why a smaller engine than in the SV-11 is recommended?
Wing area is the same...
Norvald

Hi Norvald,

I am not familiar with the ARF Legacy.  What engine size is recommended?
(the firewall is cut for a pipe)

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:16:03 PM »
It has a thick, blunt airfoil with 700 squares, so I would not use less than a 60. I was intending to put a PA61 on pipe into it, but actually am building it as an electric. (I have a kit Legacy that will be for the PA.) It has a nice pipe tunnel and should take a pipe readily.  Wing mounted gear, so no interference problems with a gear mount. The manual shows a Brodak 40 in the engine compartment, which I think must be somebody's idea of humor. The engine bearers go way past the LE of the wing and are glued into a crutch, with 1/16 (or metric equivalent) ply doublers. I would not hesitate to put a powerful 61 or 65 into this structure.

Online Norvaldo

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 05:06:07 AM »
I was referring to the Brodak site:

Legacy:Wing Span:59 3/8" inches  Plane Length:46 1/4 inches   Wing Area:687 sq. inches         Engine:0.40 - 0.61
SV11: Wing Span:60 - 1/2 inches  Plane Length:49 - 1/2 inches Wing Area:676 sq.inches          Engine: 0.51 - 0.65

But based on above comment, this one looks to be a candidate for my Stalker .76 or perhaps the ROJETT .67

Norvald
Norvald Olsvold

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 08:30:54 PM »
I believe that the Legacy is, essentially, a Genesis 46 wing, with the back part of the airfoil squozed to allow 3/8" flaps....
They are good fliers.....Brian had one with a PA 51 that flew really well...

Have fun

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 12:01:29 AM »
 Nice pics, thanks!

For those considering, the Saito .56 is a very good combo with a Legacy.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 12:59:21 PM »
I believe that the Legacy is, essentially, a Genesis 46 wing, with the back part of the airfoil squozed to allow 3/8" flaps....
They are good fliers.....Brian had one with a PA 51 that flew really well...

Have fun

The Legacy uses NACA 0020 airfoil if I remember correctly. It might be a bit thicker, but not over 22% I'm pretty sure. It was lofted up using Compufoil Pro.

This ARF really looks great.

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 04:58:45 PM »
The Legacy is one outstanding flier with an electric power system. Rick Sawicki did a kit one this year. Power is axi 2826/12 on 3700 mah 4S pack with apc 12X6P. It flies incredibly well. Conversion is easily done and very similar to sv-11 electric conversion I outlined in electric forum.

bob branch

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 02:37:27 PM »
Mine did end up as an electric, as seen over on the Amped Up forum. AXi 2826-10, APC 12-6EP or 13-4.5EP, various batteries in 4S 3300 range (experimenting), PH45 ESC, FM-9 timer. About 60 oz depending on battery. Used all the stock control components. It flys extremely well, the best proforming model I have ever flown. Glad I went electric.

But I do have an unbuilt Legacy kit and a PA61 ....

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 05:44:47 PM »
Just for comparison for folks trying to decide on power systems in glow, Rick Sawicki and I both use the same power systems on his electric legacy (kit) and my sv-11 arf. Power is axi 2826/12, 4S (3700 mah Rhino) apc 12X6EP prop. Both planes fly on same 63 ft lines and at same lap times. Rick's Legacy consistantly flies at lower rpm than my sv does. His weight is a bit lower, but I think the wing has less power requirement than the SV wing. Both planes are outstanding fliers. Pick the one you like the esthetic of, you will be happy.

bob branch

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here