News:

• April 28, 2024, 08:14:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: tf score nose cowl  (Read 2560 times)

Offline alan roadknight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
tf score nose cowl
« on: November 16, 2010, 04:06:44 AM »
finally starting to get serious with my tf score , i have a problem with the engine cowl. After sticking some lead to the inside top i find the weight is puling the cowl down and forward .  One of the engine bearers has punched through the side,this i can repair but how can i secure the cowl successfully or where can i put the extra nose weight "2oz" I need to keep the balance weight as far forward as possible.If any of you score flyer's out there in arf land have had this or similar problems I would appreciate a solution
   cheers
  Al

Offline Joe Mig

• Lieutenant
Re: tf score nose cowl
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 05:07:53 AM »
You must have had that plane for quite a while as I could not find one because they were discontinued.
Could you place the weight on the bottom of the cowl ?  Are you using a brass spinner nut weight ?

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 12:37:02 PM »
I didn't have to add nose weight on mine, rather about 1/2oz of tail wight with the Saito .56 in the nose.  But I would try putting the weight on the mount instead of the cowl. or a brass spinner nut etc.(as mentioned above)  you could also move the engine forward.  2oz is a lot of weight.. are you using a stock muffler or a tongue muffler?  ???

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 12:51:35 PM »
I'd start with a brass spinner nut, then try to fit weights on the mounts.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 04:07:01 PM »
To respond to your specific question, I have used fiberglas cloth and CA or epoxy on the inside of plastic or fiberglas cowls to reinforce the mounting area or repair cracks. But on the nose weight issue, my Score balances a little behind the "design" CG with the Enya 61CXS or ST51, with a Randy Smith tube muffler (very light) in both cases. What motor are you using that results in needing that kind of ballast? If you MUST use ballast, attach it to the firewall with bolts. I did that initially with the ST51 and then found it flew better without the ballast. I used an ounce or two, then discarded it. Try flying the model without the ballast. Check the "bench trimming" treatise by Brett Buck that is available (I think) in the PAMPA site. Balanced a little behind the suggested CG produces really snappy square corners but not excessive overshoot on the straight sides, and it grooves and glides well, not floaty on approach to landing.

Offline alan roadknight

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 05:52:53 AM »
Thanks for the fibreglass cloth with epoxy idea Tim I shall use that.Most of the lower section of the cowl has been cut away , so nowhere to stick weight there. This model sat in its box for a long time and had a few owners around our club who did nothing with it before i got it.I have an St60 [italian] with a tongue muffler pulling it along which runs very well after a lot of mucking about with tanks,I finally made my own uniflow to suit. flys much better with weight up front,before adding weight it would drop its tail on engine cut.Can i get a muffler made to help add weight ? i looked at the muffler from my st51 but that's almost 5 oz and is as ugly as it gets .  I believe the old merco35 muffler fits an st60 but will be impossible to get hold of.I have the bench trimming formula from Brett Buck which has been a great help!Who sells spinners with Brass a brass nut?Bolting weight to the engine mounts may be difficult but not impossible!
 thanks for your replies
  cheers
Al

Offline alan roadknight

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 02:23:54 AM »
sorry Mike and Tim ,I got your names mixed up on my previous post. I should do this when I am awake in the morning not 1/2 asleep at night , thanks for your response
  cheers
  Al

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 12:50:59 PM »
Heck, all the way from Australia you can be forgiven for being sleepy following us in the USA time zone. But I am still surprised at your Score needing nose ballast with an ST60. You are probably close to sea level as am I (about 3 feet msl) so your air should be about the same density. By the way, if you or any of your mates wants a Score I have an extra one with all the covering removed that I would be happy to send you. Not to get rid of it, just to improve international relations. I am very happy with mine. I note you cannot import seditious literature into Oz but model planes are apparently harmless.

Offline alan roadknight

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 02:52:51 PM »
Thanks for the offer Mike,one should always try to improve international relations but at this stage one is enough to deal with. It may improve international relations but may have an adverse affect on the marital relations.Without the nose weight it balance's 4 1/2 inches back from the leading edge. I will ask around if anyone is interested in your naked score.If you know of a spare cowling anywhere i could do with another
cheers
Al
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 04:35:23 PM by alan roadknight »

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 10:36:59 PM »
Hi Alan:

I will check where mine balances and report the results tomorrow (bedtime here on the US West Coast now) so we can compare, and other Score flyers can chime in. Not like I am some trimming genius (maybe the opposite) but at least I have something that works for me. One thing that you may not have tried is to droop the elevator TE about 1/8 inch (3 mm) while flaps are in neutral position. This is commonly done by top fliers here. Not sure of the theory but it seems to work. Luckily the Score has readily adjustable controls (at least mine does) so you can try it.

Offline alan roadknight

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 05:52:26 AM »
Hi Mike ,
 that's really easy to adjust so well worth a shot
 cheers
  Al

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 10:00:10 PM »
Hi Mates:

Sorry to keep you waiting. Mine balances at 3 7/8" (10cm) behind the LE at wing root. Weighs a sprightly 71 oz (about 2000g) dry, but with abundant power from the Enya 61CXS Pro, no problem. I have added features that increase the weight a bit like strengthening the joint between wing and fuselage and the gear mounts.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 04:21:40 PM »
I see Tower has discontinued the Score. How long ago did this happen ? With money tight I hardly ever check there web site anymore. They don't have much for us C/L guys anyway.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline alan roadknight

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 02:15:10 AM »
sad but true the score is no longer and yes you are right tower dont cater much for controlline but thank goodness for Brodak although their supply may dry up for a while

Offline BrianW517

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 12:05:30 AM »
I've re-kitted a few [3]- Top Flite ARF's over the past two years and now wish I had bought the planes by two's. They are gone for ever now. I have a Primary Force, and a Score, and a Nobler, and a Flight Streak, left in ARF's. Now I wish I had [2] of each. None fo the ARF's flew as well, as any of the built up kit's, that I had assembled out of boxes of sticks. The ARF's are more atractive than mine, and also, are more heavier than comparible "box of stick" kits assembled per directions. Thank goodness for Brodak. ::)  <=  #^   n~    H^^

Offline Ed Prohaska

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 02:24:23 PM »
FYI: I just listed two modified TF Score Cowls on eBay, plus a few other items. The cowl auction includes a Score decal sheet and motor mounts. Item number is 30062180638. Check it out! Regards, EWP

Offline alan roadknight

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 03:21:10 AM »
Hello Ed,
Thanks for the heads up on the score cowls,tried the ebay no. you suggested but it has since been removed,
If you still have them i would be very interested in buying them of you.
cheers
Al

Offline alan roadknight

• Ensign
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 04:08:27 AM »
Hello Again Ed,
sorry;found them on ebay and will place a bid
cheers
Al

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 07:44:24 AM »
You can add some weight by filling the backplate of the engine with lead. Secure it with a small piece of aluminum or steel can stock, cut to the outline of the plate and held in place by the backplate screws.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here