News:

• May 09, 2024, 07:28:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TF Flite Streak, which tank?  (Read 2968 times)

Offline David Barber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
TF Flite Streak, which tank?
« on: September 29, 2013, 03:43:11 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have been playing around with 1/2A's in my back yard for a couple of years, all with cox babe bee motors.
have had a few issuer's but all in all they seem to run and fly ok.

Just recently I thought I would step up a bit,
Got myself a TF flite streak, ARF, got the O.S 25, spent heaps of time getting this baby together.

Cannot seem to get this thing to run right, starts stops, starts stops, or don't start at all, am new to this separate tank thing, I have followed all the instructions etc. Was hoping she would just start and go, wrong! I'm thinking I got fuel supply problem, I try-ed another tank of the same, worse, only runs for a few seconds at best.

Should I be fitting a differant tank?
not sure what to do, no one in my local area that even fly's control line that I no of,

Any advise would be a help, Thanks,
Regards
David,
Victor Harbor, South Australia.

James_Mynes

Re: TF Flite Streak, which tank?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 06:11:43 AM »
I assume the needle valve is open about three turns.
Check the tank for leaks. Plug all the holes except one, hook up a syringe to that one. Dunk the tank in water and pressurize with syringe, look for bubbles. If you see bubbles, solder the tank and recheck.
Replace all fuel tubing. Try it without a ful filter to rule that problem out.
Reinstall, fill tank, open needle valve about three turns. Prime, heat the plug, and flip the prop.
Some have said that klunk tanks on the inboard side work well. I plan to try that myself. No seams to solder on a plastic tank.  :)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
As stated on another post in a different section.   Hook up a piece of fuel line to your needle valve nipple on the engine.  Blow thru the fuel line and listen.   if you don't here a hiss, open the needle until you do.  You may want to check the spray bar to see if it is right also.  The hole in it should point almost straight down into the venturi.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Kevin Ferguson

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 08:40:41 AM »
You know that only 1/2As can be run screaming lean, right?  Anything bigger needs to be run well on the rich side of peak RPM.  Also, the Cox engines required virtually no break-in when Leroy was making them, and even those made after the accountants took over broke in after a few tanks.  Bigger stuff requires more breaking in, and needs to run even richer while that is happening.  Lastly, you need to use appropriate fuel.  1/2A fuel has excessive nitro and excessive lube for a modern OS.

Offline David Barber

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 02:52:41 PM »
Hello Kevin John and Jim,

Thankyou for takein the time to reply,
am off to work this morning, monday here, will spend time tonight having another look.

The o.s book says 1.5 turns out for this engine, I am using Fuel 10% nitro, 20% oil.

Regards.
David.

James_Mynes

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »
That book is a guide. Every engine is different. With an engine that I haven't run lately, I open the needle 3 turns and start flipping. If it runs all blubbery rich, you turn it in until the speed picks up. But if you start too far closed, the engine runs out the prime and stops. Sounds like that may be what yours is doing.
Or you could blow through it as Doc suggests. I've never tried his method, but its sounds plausible.

Offline David Barber

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 02:54:09 PM »
Hi everyone, got it running! ran it nice and rich, changing the speed for 4 tanks yesterday,
My mistake was not understanding how to fill the tank correctly, not understanding how these tanks work, the pickup is in the wedge of the tank, so running the motor I needed to tilt plane on its side, to replicate where the fuel would be in flite, also running it to lean.
Thanks for all the feed back.
David.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »
It sounds like you have it working for now.  Don't hesitate to ask if (when, probably) more troubles crop up.

The LA 25 and a flight Streak make a good combination.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 05:09:57 AM »
         Hello David, in regards to a tank choice the chicken hopper may just be a good solution. The nose of the Streak doesn't really lend itself to a suitable sized tank. The chicken hoppers work very good for a fast turning plane like the Streak. It also lends a decent capacity to a short nose plane like the Streak. There's a lot of solder joints on a hopper tank and they're most susceptible to leaks. It's very important to check with as much syringe pressure under water to assure no leaks in any of the joints. They usually occur around where the hopper is grafted to the tank. Another important factor is to not place your attachments (rubber bands, or metal straps ) around the center of the tank. Support the tank on the hard corners of the end caps. Ken

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 05:31:55 PM »
I like this one I think a 3 oz would be large enough as well.  This will fit, I have the exact setup.  At stunt speeds I have never seen the need of the hopper tank.   

http://brodak.com/fuel/fuel-tank/deep-wedge-profile-standard-vent-fuel-tank-3.html

this one will fit as well
http://brodak.com/fuel/fuel-tank/large-profile-uniflow-fuel-tank-3.html
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline David Barber

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 03:40:10 AM »
Cheers Thanks Guys, will get one from brodak soon, waiting on a tongue muffler to come back in stock,
David.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 08:08:09 AM »
What's wrong with the stock muffler.   I have went back to it on a couple of my LA 25's on pressure.   Then I have one that does not like pressure.   I know it has to be the fuel tank set up. LL~ LL~  Still having fun.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 10:25:41 PM »
I like chicken hoppers. They work. I ran an LA25 on an ARF Streak, full muffler, I think it was a 3 ounce chicken hopper tank. Very reliable. I learned the pattern with that combination. Never had a feed issue. Muffler pressure to the uniflo vent.

Offline alan roadknight

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »
Hi David,
Wish I had seen your thread earlier, we at Adelaide Aeromodellers had our annual Peacemaker / Flitestreak day yesterday unfortunately to windy to compete but the coffee and cake was good. Most of us run the same  as you , LA25's with uniflow tanks [great combination] and they always start first or second flick. Any of us in the club are always happy to help and there are a couple of guys at Victor and Goolwa who play around with control-line I have a house not far from you now so I will try to send you an E-Mail
Cheers
Alan

Offline David Barber

• Ensign
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 02:28:59 AM »
Hi Alan,

Got your email mate, will be in touch, Cheers.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here