News:

• May 07, 2024, 11:54:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: T-Rex Progress  (Read 12608 times)

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
T-Rex Progress
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:20:51 PM »
I move slowly, but I have managed to get the wing together for my T-Rex.  More to follow....
Steve

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: T-Rex Progress
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 01:48:17 PM »
I installed the ball link on the bellcrank and screwed the push rod in after the wing was together. I did cut a small hole just ahead of the push rod cutout to be sure I could get the ball link in position to be able to screw the pushrod in.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 03:27:14 PM »
This is my first time messing with ball links, and I felt happier adjusting the length beforehand, then putting the wing together.  Of course, then I had to make another length adjustment after I dry fit the flaps again, so, I think your way was better.
Steve

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 01:11:40 PM »
Wing together and center section glassed, stab and elevators assembled, currently figuring out the motor mount/firewall installation.....
Steve

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 05:32:41 PM »
   Steve what motor is that in the picture ? Keep the updates coming .
    Bill Barber
AMA 325076

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 07:15:50 PM »
Hi Bill.
It's a DS60.

Lou to you....Grins
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Eric Viglione

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 02:08:36 PM »
I was going to put up a TRex progress thread then saw Steve's. So, when you look at Steve's, just imagine  :!  me working on mine as well. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ n~ n~ n~ n~

EricV

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 10:43:06 PM »
After some tedious fiddling, I have the motor installed in the motor mount.  The mount is attached to the firewall, time to cut off the excess length of the bolts...
Steve

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 10:10:39 AM »
Steve, to you everything is tedious... he he <=
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Willis Swindell

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Ok Steve The Airacobra is finished and I have mounted the Saito 56 on the T-Rex. Don’t let me finish before you! I didn’t like the flush bolts holding the engine so I drilled the holes through the mounted fire wall that way if something comes loose I have a little longer before disaster
Willis  S?P

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 08:52:05 AM »
Still pressing on with T Rex despite the verbal flack.

Bolts trimmed and firewall spacer drilled out, then firewall and motor mount assembly epoxied into the fuselage.
Steve

Willis Swindell

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 10:32:55 AM »
HI Steve
I might give you verbal abuse in jest but I can back it up I have my Saito 56 as you instructed me to use, mounted . like you I changed my engine mounts to one that I have used with my Saito’s for years. Great planes medium . I was hoping I could get the valve covers under the cowl but didn’t make it. I am going to use a remote glow starter so I will not have cut more holes in the cowl. I also made the tail wheel wire a little larger I noticed that Jimmy’s was real spongy but maybe tail wheels are suppose to be soft.
Willis  S?P

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 08:04:45 AM »
Working on making the various openings for the muffler, needle valve, etc.  The stock DS mufflers will not clear the fuselage, so I have a Randy tongue muffler on the way that will clear the fuselage side.
Steve

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »
Still pressing on with T Rex despite the verbal flack.

Bolts trimmed and firewall spacer drilled out, then firewall and motor mount assembly epoxied into the fuselage.

Did you consider nylocks before trimming the bolts, or is there not enough room? I'm a virgin regarding firewall mounts, just looks a little scary to us elderly Don Knotts types.

Uh, this is not verbal flack   ;)  All is see here are examples of excellent and thorough workmanship.  H^^

Larry Fulwider

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 07:13:47 PM »
Did you consider nylocks before trimming the bolts, or is there not enough room? I'm a virgin regarding firewall mounts, just looks a little scary to us elderly Don Knotts types.

Uh, this is not verbal flack   ;)  All is see here are examples of excellent and thorough workmanship.  H^^

Larry Fulwider

I've never used a firewall R/C mount either.  You can still remove the mount they way I did it, so I'm not too worried
Steve

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 09:35:36 AM »
Some more pictures, showing the cowl openings, the assembly of the tank internal parts and then some pics of setting up the tank compartment.  I still have to make another balsa wedge and get the velcro attached.
Steve

Willis Swindell

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 08:10:10 AM »
Steve I know you can’t add this but on my ARC I  kept grabbing the wing by the trailing edge and cracking it. I added some 1/16 bridging to the trailing edge to reinforce it  and keep me from destroying the wing. LL~
Willis
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:14:35 AM by Willis Swindell »

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 06:35:01 PM »
Thats a good idea Willis!  Bob Reeves was commenting about maybe adding shear webbing in his next wing as well.  If you add enough bracing on yours it should even survive being trampled at Tifton(!)
Steve

Willis Swindell

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 10:10:32 AM »
Steve another thing I did is add a 1/8 inch light ply brace in front of the fire wall just for safety.
Willis

Offline Warren Allred

• Ensign
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 10:20:25 AM »
Nice Steve!

I'd love to electrify one f these!
-- Warren in San Diego
AMA 19909
LSF 8170 Lvl V

Willis Swindell

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 03:41:42 PM »
Steve
 My ARC wing covered with controls and flaps weighs 16.1 with 1.6 oz of tip weight. The complete covered stab with horn is 3.8 oz. what does the ARF weigh? The ARC balsa looks light and no splices.
The fuselage weighs 15.1 oz with engine mount and parts oil cooler cowl and no covering.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:46:18 AM by Willis Swindell »

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 01:25:54 PM »
Willis, my ARF wing with flaps and controls installed and the wing panels joined weighs 20.1 ounces.  My Stab weighs 4 ounces and the fuselage weighs 16.1 ounces.  Guess I got the heavy one....
Steve

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 06:33:24 PM »
Warren

It flies great as an electric. There's a thread on the electric forum.

bob branch

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 10:07:13 PM »
My ARC fuselage with cowl and wing support weighs 13 3/4 oz. and that's with 3 coats of nitrate and silkspan plus 3 more coats of nitrate and sanded. It was 12 3/4 oz. when I started. The stab and elevators uncovered weigh 2 1/8 oz.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:45:15 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Willis Swindell

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 11:50:48 AM »

Greg
Is that fuselage with plywood engine mounts and engine mounts?
Willis

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 04:04:57 PM »
Willis,
Ply is in but I havent installed the RC mount yet. Mine didn't come with a mount so I ordered a Dave Brown mount and I'm still waiting for it to arrive.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »
I should mention that I used Brad Walker's idea (which I believe he got from RO) of using velcro to hold the tank in.  I was wondering if this would hold, but I tried it anyway.  Did I mention the velcro is strong?  like GORILLA strong? Panic was setting in as my test fit of the velcro tank installation had the tank locked in (the wrong position) and almost impossible to budge.  After a pitched battle, I finally got the tank out without demolishing the plane.  Thats when my bud Eric Viglione had the idea of wrapping the tank in paper for test fits, etc.  That keeps it off the velcro and makes tinkering a snap.  When the plane is flight ready, I will remove some but not all of the paper, exposing just enough velcro to hold the tank in without needing heroic amounts of effort to move the tank.
Steve

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 11:21:34 AM »
Steve
 My ARC wing covered with controls and flaps weighs 16.1 with 1.6 oz of tip weight.

Dude!!!  Bob Hunt eat your heart out!!!
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Willis Swindell

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 11:20:28 AM »

Ok Steve I have caught up with you now. You aren't going to let me finish before you? I made a few changes a P-47 tail and shortened the landing gear one inch.
Willis  S?P

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 02:00:18 PM »
Looks Great Willis
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Willis Swindell

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 03:29:52 PM »
Greg
I hope you don’t mind if I steal your tank mount system. I see lots of adjustment advantages with that system.
Willis  H^^

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 03:54:01 PM »
Willis....Go for it.....when I did mine I first tried a metal tank and a couple of plastic tanks plus the one thats in the picture to make sure I could change tanks and still use the same hold down system. I found that I can even go to an 8 oz. tank and it still works. I still have to make a couple of wedges to slightly angle the tank and hold it in position.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 10:28:28 AM »
It looks great Willis!  I'm sure you will beat me, but then again you don't have to deal with a two year old all day every day....

Working on mounting the wing on mine right now, having trouble with something in the top of the fuselage binding the flap pushrod right now....
Steve

Willis Swindell

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 11:20:39 AM »
OK Steve this is just to let you know the race is on. Jimmy came buy this morning with his T-Rex as you would expect he is ahead of both of us. He  has beefed up the rear with some carbon fiber. I hope to have mine ready the same time as his  so he can clear both in one clean sweep. here is some pictures jim is holding mine.
Willis  S?P

Willis Swindell

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 11:26:35 AM »
Steve
Watch out for the bell crank plywood cross brace it hits the fuselage cross brace and will not seat on the wing all the way.
Willis

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 07:43:47 PM »
Latest work as of today.  Fitting the wing to the fuselage.
Steve

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 06:11:52 AM »
Steve
Watch out for the bell crank plywood cross brace it hits the fuselage cross brace and will not seat on the wing all the way.
Willis

Yes it does...  I missed that in the instructions.  Sorry.

You guy's TRs look awesome.

I saturated the one I am building with CA on the inside aft of the canopy.  In front and behind the former at the rear of the wing.  This will make the wood rock hard for about 6 inches and let the stress move from that former.  The one i have does not have punk wood in that area, but it only took a few seconds to make sure the area was strong. 
-George Bernard Shaw

Willis Swindell

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 08:18:35 PM »
Steve Jimmy beat both of us. Here is a couple of pictures.
Willis

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
Jimmy Jank strikes again!PA 61 0n pipe almost ready to go.Steve can i borrow a needle valve (PA) to break the motor in.?Airplane is ready but motor isn't.Impatience is my insperation!   Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 12:13:04 AM »
Well done Jimmy  y1

I'm embarrassed to say that I started mine before all of you and I am still not done!  HB~>  I'm a very Sloooooow builder (Assembler? ;-), it takes me months to get an ARC in the air. It's sad.  n~

My plane may not be great, but thanks to Mark I might have one of the best scale P-47 pilots out there.  :) Mark did an outstanding job on the pilot, I will try to make the plane live up to his wonderful art work.

When I 1st saw Brads excellent design I ordered one and at the same time ordered all the P-47 books, docs, and graphics I could find. Brad's design is a "no brainer" for a P-47, in fact I'm surprised that Brad and John did not have the ARF done as one? In a way I'm glad they didn't, this way there will be fewer of them in the circle.  ;)

Again, great job Jimmy .... and Brad, thanks for such a great design and beautiful "light" ARC.

Regards,  H^^ 
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 06:24:57 AM »
Thanks Rudy...mine is a placebo 47 sorta look alike but it presents itself as a 47.please don't slight yours or anyone else's time frame in building as those here that know me would tell you that get it done is my specialty.When I start one the compulsion to see it to fruition takes over,and sleep is not much of a priority during the building process and that plus instant glue,epoxy,and high tech carbon tech really speeds this process along.The reward in the end is this airplane is a great flyer, (73) flights on my arf with the ST51 so far has proven to me in any form this bird is teriffic!Enjoy your build and I look foreward to your finished product.   Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 12:39:21 PM »
Jimmy Jank strikes again!PA 61 0n pipe almost ready to go.Steve can i borrow a needle valve (PA) to break the motor in.?Airplane is ready but motor isn't.Impatience is my insperation!   Jimmy

Yeah, you can borrow one, but I don't know if I'll be able to catch up to you before KOI or not.  I'm guessing it will be too cold to fly on Sunday as usual....
Steve

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »
OK, that P 47 is AWESOME!!!! ~>
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Rudy,
AH HAAA now I know where he is going,, ;)
thanks for the positive comments,I do enjoy painting pilots, its a pleasant diversion for me.Glad he met your expectations
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 07:06:05 PM »
The line forms behind me, Mark! Do you have any rilly thin piloots for profiles?  VD~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »
uh steve,, no, but if  you were to actually build a plane, I am sure it would be a full fuse one,, ( I konw you have kits stashed,, ) I would paint you a pilot too,, oh wait, your flying in the same class with me now,, dang,, so it wont do any good towards getting me better scores,, sigh,, well Iguess I could anyway,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 08:34:53 PM »
Hi Steve,

I was waiting until I finished my plane so I could post some nice photos of Mark's excellent art work, but it has taken me longer than I thought it would. Where I live we are not blessed with a "building season" like most of you lucky people get each year. We are always distracted with sunshine and 70 degree WX, this makes finding time to build (or even assemble!) almost impossible! ..... and what makes this dilemma worse for us is that we don't even get any sympathy for our sad plight!  n~

I hope my photos will be posted soon. Until then you can go to the sight below and see what Mark's work looks like. Below is the site that I used to purchase the "blank" pilot. They have samples of pilots painted by artists like Mark. They also have an excellent section on their site showing how to paint a pilot. It looks like a LOT of work and needs a skill set waaaaay above mine! BTW, these pilots are cast resin and are VERY light (I think mine is approx. 1/3 oz., painted)

http://www.acesofiron.com/8th_scale.htm

I told Mark that I liked scale planes and that my plane was going to be a model of a WWII plane with accurate scale markings, etc. and that I wanted a "real" looking pilot. Mark delivered exactly what I wanted. He made the pilot look like one that actually went into battle, not like the shinny "Hollywood" pilots in new uniforms from the wardrobe dept, and clean shaven movie stars that NEVER went to war, etc. 

IMHO: All models should have pilots in them. I put them in all my planes, I even put them in my park flyers. If a plane does not have a pilot in it that means it is a DRONE (as in target drone? ;-)

If you want to make your plane look better and more realistic I don't think you can do better than having Mark paint one for you! It will require some begging and pleading ....... and sending him a suitcase of cash, or a PA 61, or two 5S4200mAh batteries, or a T-Rex ARC, or a generous donation to his daughters college fund, or ???;)

Thanks again Mark for the great realistic looking WWII pilot!  #^

Steve, I hope to see you in 2010 at one of the NorCal or OR contests  :)

Warm Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2010, 07:03:46 AM »
Hi Steve,

IMHO: All models should have pilots in them. I put them in all my planes, I even put them in my park flyers. If a plane does not have a pilot in it that means it is a DRONE (as in target drone? ;-)

Hmmmm.  I think this discriminates against having the Invisible Man as your pilot......
Steve

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »

"......Hmmmm.  I think this discriminates against having the Invisible Man as your pilot......"  LL~

Good point Steve, I never thought of it that way. You may have cured me! ...... Now whenever I see an empty cockpit I will just assume it is the invisible man in there flying the plane, and I will feel better about the whole experience! But only if the invisible pilots name is on the side of your plane!  n~
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2010, 03:17:12 PM »
How about an invisible plane with a Wonder Woman "bust" (play on words) in it?   n~ #^ VD~ 
Just think of the appearance points you would get! y1

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/File:Invisible_Plane.jpg
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here