News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:34:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sv11 verses Impact  (Read 2179 times)

Offline David Fretz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Sv11 verses Impact
« on: March 21, 2018, 04:24:43 AM »
Between the two what plane has better flight characteristics? Personal opinions accepted.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:23:33 AM by David Fretz »

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sv11 verses Impact
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:25:55 PM »
Does someone make an ARF Impact?  Just curious.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline David Fretz

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 03:29:01 AM »
This plane is being considered by a previous seller. I am also told the Blue Max is the same plane? This is sold by RSM. Nice looking plane.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 04:57:41 AM »
This being an ARF section.....
Yes, the Impact was once offered by Steve Moon as an ARF....no longer available. I believe that they offered a kit as well?
The Blue Max is offered as an ARF by Kaz....pricy.....and a kit by RSM
The SV11 is offered as an ARF or ARC by Brodak, in both nitro and electric...Randy Smith (designer) offers the SV as a kit

The articles in Stunt News about Paul's Impacts suggested that it was a bit more difficult to fly than other designs, although I have seen several that flew well in non-top 20 hands.

For a "big" ARF, I would point at the SV 11 as being better, simply because there have been so many different power and trim combinations. Most are available here on Stunt Hanger. 

Have fun
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:15:07 AM by peabody »

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 12:10:09 PM »
My direct experience is only with Impacts, but I've heard hearsay about the SV-11 and Blue Max, namely that they are both excellent stunt planes.

Impacts work well with various powerplants: OS .40VF, different sizes of PAs, and RO-Jett .65s among piped engines, Saito .56s and .72s, Supertigre .60s, and a bunch of electric systems.  As for being difficult to fly, I flew one that won the Nats that I thought would make a good trainer. 

If I were to choose among individual examples of the three, I'd go by how accurately each was built and by the quality of the control system.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 08:23:15 PM »
Between the two what plane has better flight characteristics? Personal opinions accepted.

It all depends on the nut at the handle! y1 y1

These are both contest proven airplanes and good flying models. Keep in mind, there isn't one specific model that will make an intermediate level pilot into NATS Top 10 material. If there was, we would ALL be flying it, whatever it is! Do your research on what models are out there, and which one fits your needs, including fitting into your vehicle. Pick the design, and then stick with it. After you build one and get it trimmed to the nest of your ability, start on a second one and make any necessary changes and improvements you may want, including building it more accurately, and maybe lighter. I think the worst thing you can do is jump around from design to design, and power plant to power plant. You never get settled in that way and are constantly starting over. If you are just sport flying, that is one thing, but if you are flying contests with an ambition to reach a certain level, consistency and confidence in your airplane will serve you well.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 02:18:08 PM »
   It all depends on the nut at the handle! y1 y1

These are both contest proven airplanes and good flying models. Keep in mind, there isn't one specific model that will make an intermediate level pilot into NATS Top 10 material. If there was, we would ALL be flying it...

True, but I picked up about 15-20 flight points by switching from a Twister to a pre-Impact (Paul's 1988 Atlantis, worked over with an Impact-ish tail).  So there are certainly planes that'll hold you back.

I think that if you have to ask, and if you're flying something that's made it into the top 5 more than once in the last decade, then you're probably being held back more by the pilot than the plane and you should be happy.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here