News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:40:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Success on stripping plastic flim  (Read 971 times)

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Success on stripping plastic flim
« on: September 12, 2008, 11:25:31 AM »
To follow up on stripping the ChinaKote off the TF Score, it all came off perfectly using moderate heat from a heat gun. Almost no residue left on the airframe. Applying heat to a corner of the covering and lifting it along the seam, the rest of the film peeled off in a single piece with heat applied to the surface just ahead of where you are pulling on the film. Took about 15 minutes to strip all the Kote off this fairly large model.

A hair dryer may work just as well and is less apt to blister the skin on the "pulling" fingers. The amount of heat needed was modest and nowhere near the 400 degrees the gun puts out.

Offline rustler

• Captain
Re: Success on stripping plastic flim
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 02:49:36 PM »
Save the C/cote Mike, could come in useful for another model in these (coming) hard times!
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
Re: Success on stripping plastic flim
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 05:54:41 PM »
Here in Northern California we don't believe in hard times, just "challenging" times.

Too late on the 'Kote, already in the trash. I know you Brits are buggy about reusing and making do (a trait I admire as a half-Scot), but I think re-using used MonoKote would be too much even for the staunchest maker-doer. Say, how is the T-Bird project coming? Will we see it at Woburn in 2009?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here