News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:08:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stripping and recovering  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Steve Holt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Stripping and recovering
« on: October 04, 2007, 01:46:53 PM »
I assembled an ARF Smoothie in March to fly in Old Time at VSC this year.  I used all the tricks I knew to keep the covering in place.  All the trim pieces were outlined with clear nail polish, the area around the engine was fuel-proofed with finish epoxy which lapped over the covering, and all the leading edges were covered with clear film.  I tacked everything down with an iron any time it looked like it was coming loose. 

It held up pretty well at first and flew really well.  On a flight a couple of months ago, the covering on the inboard side of the vertical tail came loose.  The trim stayed in place on the white and the clear film over the leading edge kept it from completely departing the airplane.  After the flight, I looked carefully and the adhesive was still stuck to the wood but had pulled completely off the film.  I applied Sig Stix-It to the wood (after cleaning with acetone) and re-attached the covering.

On the next flight, the trailing edge of the horizontal stabilizer lifted and flapped in the breeze again held in place by my clear leading edge covering.  It was taped down and on the next flight the flap covering came off along with the underside of one wing.

I'm done with it!  All the "China Kote" is coming off and I will cover the entire thing with Monokote.  I only wish I had done this before assembly since it will be much more difficult with the airplane assembled.  The airplane flys too good to throw it away so I'll invest the extra work.

My Primary Force ARF is more than a year old and the basic covering is still good.  Some of the white trim has come loose, but the orange is still intact.  When I do another Brodak pre-built, it will either be an ARC or I will strip the covering and replace it before assembly.

Steve

Offline Rotten

• Ensign
Re: Stripping and recovering
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 05:36:59 PM »
I just got an ARF Vector and as told to strip off the  china kote and recover. Man, it looked really nice right out of the box but I figured, If I eventually have to recover I just as well better do it now while its still unassembled . That China kote came off so easy,  I recovered with ultra kote the same color scheme and it looks GREAT!

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 05:45:48 AM »
I believe the Score is the worst one of the bunch as far as icky covering. I am thinking of recovering mine over the winter. If the darn thing didn't fly so well I would just write it off but it would make a great backup and feel it's worth putting the time and money in.

BTW: If you use a heat gun the covering will just about fall off without leaving a glue mess.

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 07:55:28 AM »
  Two major problems with the ARFs. Motor mounts and China Kote. Did I say motor mounts? Pure junk. Like 12lb balsa.

The controls are a given to replace. Except for the Strega which comes with Morris Control System.  Only ARC for me

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 08:55:43 AM »
Just reread this post as I was going to start one about when does an ARF become and ARC.  But, as stated to me an ARF is an ARF no matter what you do to it.  But, the thing that caught my eye is you stated that you flew an ARF Smoothie in Old Time.   I never knew a Smoothie was an old timer as it came out after the Thunderbird.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 09:56:17 AM »
The Smoothie came first Doc............ published in the '52 Air Trails, I believe.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 08:48:09 AM »
Thanks Bill,  I was told one time as a youngster that the "Smoothie" was designed as a windy weather ship in place of the "Thunderbird".  Does this mean I can now build my "Smoothie" kit and fly it in three different stunt classes??  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 08:53:23 AM »
Thanks Bill,  I was told one time as a youngster that the "Smoothie" was designed as a windy weather ship in place of the "Thunderbird".  Does this mean I can now build my "Smoothie" kit and fly it in three different stunt classes??  Have fun,  DOC Holliday

Doc,  The Smoothie IS OTS legal, and none of the T-Birds are.  The old 10 pts. loss for flaps is all... ;D  Yep you can fly The Smoothie in OTS, Classic and PAMPA class.  A triple threat, just like the original '52 Nobler and '52 Still Stuka!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Morris

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 06:06:02 PM »
I just purchased a Vector arf.I was told it was covered with the new Brodak covering at least this gentalman was told that.Is it different now using the Brodak covering or the same stuff? Im not sure if I should remove and recover. I do plan on changing controles.

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 07:04:37 PM »
Jim,
The covering on my Smoothie looked good and I used all the tricks I knew to keep it on.  Never again!  I would still strip the covering.  Paint the fuselage and use Monokote on the wings and tail.  I haven't looked in detail at the Vector ARF, but the others have a sharp wing LE and this really needs to be reworked.  Stripping it also makes changing the bellcrank easier.

I have tried to get an ARC Smoothie or Vector and they are sold out and on back order.  Stripping and recovering is much easier with individual components than with an assembled airplane.

Steve

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 09:14:07 PM »
While trying to salvage my Smoothie ARF's covering a friend, Dick Hodge, told me to try a mixture of half Fletch Glue, used to hold feathers to arrows, and half MEK. I did this on the Smoothie and it has helped my covering to remain on the plane! I have recovered 3/4 of the horizontal tail with Tower Coat using their red, light blue and white. These colors fairly closely match the original China Coat's color. My vertical Stab started to shed last week! I must have missed with the Fletch Glue Mix! I put it back with medium CA!

Phil Spillman 
Phil Spillman

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 09:32:33 PM »
I just purchased a Vector arf.I was told it was covered with the new Brodak covering at least this gentalman was told that.Is it different now using the Brodak covering or the same stuff? Im not sure if I should remove and recover. I do plan on changing controles.

Hi Jim,

Randy told Aaron to go over the whole plane with a heat gun and mitt/cloth, or an iron and stick it all down.  Then seal the edges of the covering with anything fuel proof that will stick to the covering.  We're gonna use some Z-poxy thinly brushed on the edges and go fly the thing! (after we replace the controls, that is............) ;D  Just haven't decided which engine to put in it!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here