News:

• May 09, 2024, 04:32:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strega arf with S.T. 51?  (Read 2118 times)

Offline steve pagano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Strega arf with S.T. 51?
« on: June 27, 2007, 03:31:16 PM »
Any body have any luck with a S.T. 51 (stock from tower hobbies)in a strega? And also what should be the first mods to make to this arf before assembling? This will be my first arf

TIA
  -Steve
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Strega arf with S.T. 51?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 03:51:31 PM »
As far as mods, round off the LE and recover with Monokote Trim (the sticky stuff). Pitch the supplied hinges and use Dubro Nylon hinges. Fuelproof the interior of the fuselage nose. Be sure to strip the wing covering away at the fuselage joint and use epoxy; this is a big, heavy plane, and I wouldn't trust CyA. Replace the supplied Engine Clamp Mounts with the "real deal" that Windy developed; available from SSHobbies.com for $18.

For power, I have an ST G.51, but haven't used it yet, so I can't speak with any authority. My guess is that it might work, but would be marginal. Strega is a big, heavy plane (said that before, huh?), and has a very thick wing. I think most folks are using a stronger engine, although I'm certain I remember someone who intended to use the G.51 (can't remember who).
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 04:34:21 PM »
What about the control system?
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Walter Hicks

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 10:27:35 PM »
Strega is very large an thick airfoil, 740 square inches will weigh about 65-67 ounces a ST .51 will work for flying around in circles you need at least a 13" prop .The wing is 3" thick.I have two of them one with RO Jett .76.

If you have  as strong .60 that will swing a large prop with authority that would be ok. There is no way a Tiger .51 with a 12" prop will fly the Strega with any kind of authority. If you are just sport flying then OK. W Hicks

Offline Richard Edwards

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 11:24:42 PM »
When the Strega kit first came out I asked Windy if a ST 51 would work in it and he said it needed at least a 60 so I presume the arf or arc is the same

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 07:50:42 AM »
I agree with all.  I have had a couple of VERY strong ST G51s.  I owuld not want to use them in the Strega.  There is so much built in drag (very thick airfoil, etc.,) that I would want a good .60 for power.  Kent Tysor is testing a Ro-Jett .76 in his ARF Strega.  He's got to settle on the right prop.

I do remember Windy putting tuned pipes on the ST G51 when they first came out! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 07:38:56 PM »
Up here in Oklahoma I can't make one fly a 53 ounce Skylark to sute me  S?P

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 05:49:38 PM »
One thing you will not find much of in the Strega arf or arc is light wood. Only light wood I found was the void left when I ground wood out and I've done 2 of em. I'd love to build one with light wood.

Bob Branch

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 07:26:01 PM »
I have recently posted a thread on using a PA.51 on a pipe in the strega. A very good combination.

bob branch

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here